First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
do the speaker pieces just pop off ? I would be afraid i would brake it popping it off ?
Roll bar and subwoofer speaker grilles have screws. Dash speaker grilles pry right off. Use a plastic trim tool.
Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
DO NOT PUT A WRAP ON THE INSTRUMENT PANELS-PAINT ONLY. The passenger side contains the airbag, and a wrap would seriously affect how it breaks open at deployment....like maybe not at all.
A wrap is not going to affect airbag deployment the slightest bit. Have you witnessed an airbag deploying? They are powered by explosive charge. There are vehicles coming from the factory designed to have the airbag blow through all manner of materials - plastic, vinyl, even leather. None of that poses the slightest challenge.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
A wrap is not going to affect airbag deployment the slightest bit. Have you witnessed an airbag deploying? They are powered by explosive charge. There are vehicles coming from the factory designed to have the airbag blow through all manner of materials - plastic, vinyl, even leather. None of that poses the slightest challenge.
when you can paint it or order another one and paint that one if you're scared to mess one up like some people do why not I would not put a wrap but hey everyone can do what they want chances are people that do it will be driving anyway but it would be a love one maybe over there in the passenger seat why take a chance when you don't have to. That's just my opinion everyone has their own

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
There is a good youtube video online for taking apart the dash to remove the panels. Mostly screws and trim clips. Once the airbag is disconnected from the wiring harness it is not going to explode on you unless you do something very dumb. Only suggestion for the airbag removal is a bunch of long screwdrivers since the large clips holding it are not easy without a second set of hands
Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your DIY painted dash C4ADC540-5A8D-4AE1-800C-E6D60825F728

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
There is a good youtube video online for taking apart the dash to remove the panels. Mostly screws and trim clips. Once the airbag is disconnected from the wiring harness it is not going to explode on you unless you do something very dumb. Only suggestion for the airbag removal is a bunch of long screwdrivers since the large clips holding it are not easy without a second set of hands
Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your DIY painted dash C4ADC540-5A8D-4AE1-800C-E6D60825F728
I'm not good at that kind of stuff I would mess it up I'd find a way to LOL but I'm happy with it my white Jeep and the red dash I was so happy to get the red I really like the way the red stands out it's not a bright red it's a satin kind of low red evidently it's a hard paint code for people to find for some reason one guy said he couldn't find it I like it as unique it's different kind of color that's hard to match. But I understand why people want to change it be different I guess and take a color they like but I'm happy with one I have but it is cool the way people are doing it

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Wow great post thanks had no idea that many were for sale on Amazon that's a good deal for some of them when you're considering you're getting the pieces and everything wonder how that red compares to the factory red it's putting them close
AliExpress is cheaper and that's where most Amazon sellers get their stuff. However, shipping from China might take a lot longer cause of Covid. If you do buy off of Amazon, make sure they have the item in stock. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for the seller to have it shipped to them from China and then additionally, waiting for it to get shipped to you.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
AliExpress is cheaper and that's where most Amazon sellers get their stuff. However, shipping from China might take a lot longer cause of Covid. If you do buy off of Amazon, make sure they have the item in stock. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for the seller to have it shipped to them from China and then additionally, waiting for it to get shipped to you.
I like to buy from Amazon but I'm about ready to say I'm done with China I know it might be where we don't get a lot of stuff including for our Jeeps when it comes to stuff like this but the way they did our country and what they're doing now I just say the hell with China I'm so done with them hate to buy anything from them anymore and support that country. They have screwed the United States over for so long and finally somebody said enough but now they're going to be gone I guess and you got so many new in there that's being paid off by them and they're going to go back to screwing us again not to mention this virus how many people have killed I just want to tell China to go fuc# themselves. Big bumpers and stuff you can buy american-made but it's going to be hard to find this replacement affordable without going right to Mopar. Great post though amazing how many stuff they have like that on there already painted.give us from China let's just hope they don't use lead paint LOL

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Mr. Raven:

I don't understand how you can say it won't affect deployment? Are you an engineer who developed them?

Granted, their explosive force appears to be quite violent, but I'm sure you are aware having read the Owner's Manual that the deployment force is based on the weight of the passenger, so I know there is no way of knowing if adding a film of plastic, quite strong in direct tension that would occur when the cover breaks open, would have a serious diminishing effect.

But heck, you won't be on the passenger side anyway, right?...you're the driver. Put you wife/girlfriend/parent/child over there and let them be a crash test dummy! So please don't tell folks something is safe when you have no proof.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Mr. Raven:

I don't understand how you can say it won't affect deployment? Are you an engineer who developed them?

Granted, their explosive force appears to be quite violent, but I'm sure you are aware having read the Owner's Manual that the deployment force is based on the weight of the passenger, so I know there is no way of knowing if adding a film of plastic, quite strong in direct tension that would occur when the cover breaks open, would have a serious diminishing effect.

But heck, you won't be on the passenger side anyway, right?...you're the driver. Put you wife/girlfriend/parent/child over there and let them be a crash test dummy! So please don't tell folks something is safe when you have no proof.
That's what I said why why? Why take a chance on a loved one family member good friend it's going to be somebody you care about sitting there why take a chance when you can paint it you can plastic dip it if you don't like the color and change it there's no reason to wrap something and take a chance why?

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Mr. Raven:

I am an engineer, and I do have experience with using carefully measured explosives with the intent of breaking something a certain way. So I understand the dynamics well.

None of that experience is necessary in this evaluation however, because it's not even close. Again, many automakers sell vehicles in which airbags blow through LEATHER...and it's not even a big deal...it's not even close. The airbag doesn't even notice.

It's not even a slight risk to anyone, and yes I would not hesitate to use the wrap on the airbag covers on my own vehicles.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I am an engineer, and I do have experience with using carefully measured explosives with the intent of breaking something a certain way. So I understand the dynamics well.

None of that experience is necessary in this evaluation however, because it's not even close. Again, many automakers sell vehicles in which airbags blow through LEATHER...and it's not even a big deal...it's not even close. The airbag doesn't even notice.

It's not even a slight risk to anyone, and yes I would not hesitate to use the wrap on the airbag covers on my own vehicles.
Airbags don't blow through the leather the leather is on the panel like the paint the panel comes off and the airbag comes behind it you're not going through like a wall of leather like a fixed object the leather is on the dash and it's made to come off the whole piece you're not covering something up with leather that's mounted down it's on like a clip that's made to come off with airbag hits it you're not putting an airbag completely covered and bolted down where it blows through the leather that piece is made to come off when airbag goes off. But you don't want to mess with the edges on the sides that could hold it down but I'm not going to argue with you I would not put my loved ones in that seat with a wrap on it. Reminds me one of the discount tires my buddy's a manager of for 30 years. people come in there inside this is my wife's car I want the cheapest tires you can put on there and he's like your truck comes in here and got the most expensive and you want me to put the cheapest car tire I have on your wife's car with car seats in the back wow that's really not safewouldn't but that's your choice cuz you're the the engineer you know it all. Not my family

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Airbags don't blow through the leather the leather is on the panel like the paint the panel comes off and the airbag comes behind it you're not going through like a wall of leather like a fixed object the leather is on the dash and it's made to come off the whole piece you're not covering something up with leather that's mounted down it's on like a clip that's made to come off with airbag hits it you're not putting an airbag completely covered and bolted down where it blows through the leather that piece is made to come off when airbag goes off. But you don't want to mess with the edges on the sides that could hold it down but I'm not going to argue with you I would not put my loved ones in that seat with a wrap on it. Reminds me one of the discount tires my buddy's a manager of for 30 years. people come in there inside this is my wife's car I want the cheapest tires you can put on there and he's like your truck comes in here and got the most expensive and you want me to put the cheapest car tire I have on your wife's car with car seats in the back wow that's really not safewouldn't but that's your choice cuz you're the the engineer you know it all. Not my family
DUDE...punctuation please!!

I can't...um...wow. Painted leather walls and cheap tires...sorry man I can't follow that.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
DUDE...punctuation please!!

I can't...um...wow. Painted leather walls and cheap tires...sorry man I can't follow that.
LOL That's what voice text does when you're driving. Didn't have time to go back and correct everything at red lights lol
Sponsored