Sponsored

Video of Manual Transmission--Clutch is GREAT!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Off topic, but that lifetime warranty seems to be legit and worth it to you?
Yeah, my experience with my JK made me decide to do it. I plan on keeping this thing till the wheels fall off. That could easily be 25 years or more.
Sponsored

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
My biggest concern about ordering a manual was that my wife does not know how to drive one, and I am a horrible teacher. I was even more concerned after I read the motor trend review. Your video has put those concerns to rest - thanks! Now I am confident that she can learn.
Do you know who else doesn't know how to drive manuals? Most car thieves. It's the best anti-theft mechanism you can have in a vehicle. :)

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I feel less notchiness in this shifter than any I've driven before, including my 06 Solstice, which was truly a jewel. Any. No clicking/whirring. You can't hear the transmission, at all. Not like the JK. It is totally isolated and sound-deadened. I don't hear any of what you describe. I do hear much of that stuff with my JK, but not the marbles sound. (I do know what you are talking about). My JK doesn't make the clicking when accelerating, either. I have a new transmission in my JK that is vastly improved over the original, in both sound and smoothness, but it still makes some noise, because it can't be completely insulated out. It comes right up through the shifter. The JL, since it uses cables, can be insulated and the NVH can't transmit through the shifter. My JK doesn't grind, but again, I've seen what you are describing.

I'll be happy to make a video of low range. I'll try and do it this weekend, if I get a chance. I've got a dirt road nearby that will work just fine for that.
I got to test drive a JLU Sport M/T and it felt like one of the best transmissions I've ever driven. The dealership actually parked the Sport way in the back and I had to literally drive it over a tire half-buried in the ground (probably put there to prevent the new cars from bumping into cement corner in back) and it went over the tire (about a 6-7" bump) from a dead stop on my first attempt with out it stalling once. And this was with the Sport where the gear ratios are smaller and my very first second driving it so I had no clue where the clutch began to bite.

Needless to say, I ordered my JLUR M/T after my 20 minute test drive in it.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know who else doesn't know how to drive manuals? Most car thieves. It's the best anti-theft mechanism you can have in a vehicle. :)
Cars left running and getting stolen is a big issue in CO. My GF's coworker forgot something in her house and in the 30 seconds she ran in (people were home so door not even locked) someone tried to jump in and steal it. She came back out screaming but it is a manual so he jumped out the passenger side and ran.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I'll take a chance that DanW will see this reply: In your video (well done by the way!) the driver's side looks a bit cramped. I'm 6'4" 250 pounds, mostly legs... While I certainly plan to go sit in one of these with the 6spd, I am curious of your impressions? Seat go back far enough? How tall / inseam are you? Thanks
This is actually my biggest gripe with my M/T JK. With the clutch there there is NO ROOM to rest your left leg on the side when you're not using the clutch. I really hate that about the JK and it looks like the JL is no different. You pretty much HAVE to rest left leg in front of the clutch. There is no foot rest pad like most M/Ts have. Not a good thing if you're big and/or tall.

Sponsored

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Cars left running and getting stolen is a big issue in CO. My GF's coworker forgot something in her house and in the 30 seconds she ran in (people were home so door not even locked) someone tried to jump in and steal it. She came back out screaming but it is a manual so he jumped out the passenger side and ran.
First thing I usually do when I get a new car is remove the OEM shifter knob and add one with no gear map on it. Even the pros would take a few seconds to figure out how to reverse them without the gear map on the knob. Especially for the JL which seems to be holding down the reverse lever and then putting shifter to upper left side. On my M/T WRX it's just the opposite to lower right side.

Again, it's not meant to completely deter a thief, but it could easily buy you 10+ seconds if they're trying to figure out how to reverse it out of there.

Jcaron9gt4

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WRX | 2018 JLU Sport S 6 Speed
First thing I usually do when I get a new car is remove the OEM shifter knob and add one with no gear map on it. Even the pros would take a few seconds to figure out how to reverse them without the gear map on the knob. Especially for the JL which seems to be holding down the reverse lever and then putting shifter to upper left side. On my M/T WRX it's just the opposite to lower right side.

Again, it's not meant to completely deter a thief, but it could easily buy you 10+ seconds if they're trying to figure out how to reverse it out of there.
It took a few times to get used to the JLU for sure coming from my '17 wrx...first few times putting it in reverse ends up in 6th from old habits!

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
It took a few times to get used to the JLU for sure coming from my '17 wrx...first few times putting it in reverse ends up in 6th from old habits!
Trick is to wait for the reverse camera to turn on. If it doesn't, you're in the wrong gear.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I saw this on YouTube before seeing it here. Its good to see how the ESS works on the manual in real time. Seems pretty predicable that way and probably fewer quirks than the auto. Well I can't have buyers remorse for getting an Auto, as I just can't stand manual in heavy heavy traffic, and I-40 is prone to jam up where I live.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
The best thing is the shifter is actually not wobbling around, awesome. I have a manual JK, probably do the same for the JL.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The best thing is the shifter is actually not wobbling around, awesome. I have a manual JK, probably do the same for the JL.
/\ This!

My old Dakota's shifter would vibrate all over.

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
Just need some clarification. When Dan says that the clutch takes up very quickly, does this mean that it bites early on when you release the clutch? Sorry... I'm British, not used to some American terms.

fzdan4256

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Billet Silver , 6 speed
Ok, you asked for it, you got it! Remember, this is all just my opinion.

I've got about 160 miles on it now, mainly country roads and city streets, and I'm loving the clutch, shifter, and transmission more and more. At this point, I would not change a thing. I did a short highway stint, as well, and I thought the gearing was perfectly matched for this Jeep. I could not be happier! It is vastly different than the JK, but it I've now got a feel for it and the shift points and action are now natural and very comfortable. It rivals my 06 Pontiac Soltice for best clutch/shift action I've driven.

It is so well matched, I'm having some second thoughts about a lift and 35's. Hmmm. We'll see!

Well done, Jeep!
My 6 speed arrived yesterday. Lift , Wheels and 35's are being installed prior to me picking it up. Ill let you know how she goes after the add ons! I will not have to luxury to compare as I haven't driven it yet .

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Yeah, my experience with my JK made me decide to do it. I plan on keeping this thing till the wheels fall off. That could easily be 25 years or more.
Did you have a particularly bad experience with yours? I figure with my JL if it's been a problem child during the factory warranty years, I'll sell it when it runs out.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just need some clarification. When Dan says that the clutch takes up very quickly, does this mean that it bites early on when you release the clutch? Sorry... I'm British, not used to some American terms.
It means it bites early.

What part of the UK are you from?
Sponsored