Sponsored

Boom Mat or Hotheads?

Moxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 80th Anniversary
I've ordered my 80th Anniversary JLU. I didn't get the Mopar headliner, but I think I want to get an aftermarket kit.

Would you choose the Boom Mat for about $320?

Or the Hotheads for $548?
Sponsored

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Would like to hear some opinions on this too, especially from people with boom mat setup.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Honestly and it won’t be the popular decision, boom mat. I have the hotheads and a friend has boom mat. Sorry but just don’t see the price difference IMO. I got my hh at a discount from someone so I didn’t pay that price but if I did I would feel ripped off. Just not worth the price.

A caveat I will throw out there is I do not know where boom mat is made and I do know HH is US assembled so you have that.

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Yeah the HH price is pretty ridiculous, especially in regards that you don’t even get the windows etc unless you spend about 500$+. I think I’m going to give the boom mat a shot and do a full review, people need real options, money is tight these days and 500 dollars for a headliner is a little bit much.

jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon 2019 Jeep Cherokee , 2015 ford mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I have the boom mat. Don’t remember the price but I got the full set. It’s easy to apply. I took the top off to install. And it has stayed in place. It helps with keeping it cooler on hot days and warmer in winter.
once you apply the boom mat you can’t take it off

8A49B841-CA74-4873-90D2-407ED7C097F3.jpeg

2FD98E71-4403-481A-9920-D48DA570E12E.jpeg

0BA03EC9-F9D9-464E-A461-2735F504925F.jpeg

144DCB77-48DA-4660-A32F-4E679FD2E815.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Moxo

Moxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the boom mat. Don’t remember the price but I got the full set. It’s easy to apply. I took the top off to install. And it has stayed in place. It helps with keeping it cooler on hot days and warmer in winter.
once you apply the boom mat you can’t take it off
Thanks for replying!

What does the cab facing material on the Boom Mat feel like? People say the HH is like a nice upholstery liner and not just like foam.

jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon 2019 Jeep Cherokee , 2015 ford mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for replying!

What does the cab facing material on the Boom Mat feel like? People say the HH is like a nice upholstery liner and not just like foam.
It’s thicker than I thought it would be. Maybe about 1 3/4”. And looks like this.

142BB019-E13E-408D-B25F-B9FD48EDB065.jpeg

OP
OP
Moxo

Moxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s thicker than I thought it would be. Maybe about 1 3/4”. And looks like this.
Thanks! I'm for sure leaning towards the Boom Mat based on everything so far. I might buy some sound deadening sheets for the channels, but that's cheap too.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Thanks! I'm for sure leaning towards the Boom Mat based on everything so far. I might buy some sound deadening sheets for the channels, but that's cheap too.
Honestly I would get some dynamat and do the whole thing. The “sound assassin” strips are another very expensive option that is definitely not worth the cost. You could do it for 1/3 the cost from Amazon as long as you know how to use a pair of scissors.

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Honestly I would get some dynamat and do the whole thing. The “sound assassin” strips are another very expensive option that is definitely not worth the cost. You could do it for 1/3 the cost from Amazon as long as you know how to use a pair of scissors.
Yeah plus the coverage only needs to be 25% of the exposed panels, there is a website called sds showdown or something and there was a lot of info about that, hh just looks like a rip off

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the Hotheads headliner and I love it. I did opt for the sound assassin strips for the extra sound deadening. The fit and finish of the hotheads liner is incredible. Fit was exact! Each panel fits perfectly. I have a JLUR and it looks and works great. I noticed an immediate difference in the insulation. I live in Central Florida and was able to feel the heat radiating down from the top when sitting in a parking lot waiting for some food. After the hotheads install it's noticeably cooler in the jeep and I don't feel any heat radiating down on my head. Stereo sounds great, noticeably better, but I am not an audiophile by any means. I do have the factory 8.4 with the sub-woofer. I've had it installed now for 4 months and couldn't be happier. I did the install myself with the hardtop on.

20210103_114425.jpg

20210103_114547.jpg

20210103_115325.jpg

20210103_115337.jpg

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Any opinions on the Mopar headliner? I’m leaning towards HH right now, as I want the nicer fit finish and feel of theirs compared to the Boom Mat. Just curious how the Mopar one stands up....I did watch the HH YouTube video that shows all 3, but just wanted some “real” opinions.

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
I had the DEI Boom Mat in my old JKU. It made a huge difference during the extremes of North Texas Weather. If you think that the finish look of the HH justifies the extra $200 then that's all good. There are many people that are happy with both versions. I now live in Central Florida and purchased my JLUR just before Thanksgiving, I will be installing some version before Summer comes back around again (Winter doesn't exist here).

OP
OP
Moxo

Moxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the DEI Boom Mat in my old JKU. It made a huge difference during the extremes of North Texas Weather. If you think that the finish look of the HH justifies the extra $200 then that's all good. There are many people that are happy with both versions. I now live in Central Florida and purchased my JLUR just before Thanksgiving, I will be installing some version before Summer comes back around again (Winter doesn't exist here).
I will admit that the HH liner looks great because of the material that is upholstered (stapled) to the surface. The Boom Mat is basically textured and colored foam coating and looks a little raw.
Sponsored