Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents

trilla

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JLU Sport 6spd
Just installed mine today. Was going to order from their website, but opted to order from Amazon (~$100 cheaper). Ordered this past Saturday night, and was surprised it was delivered by Monday afternoon. Was only able to put up the rear rack as my package was missing 1 24" bar, but the seller notified me that they would send the missing piece. Will be throwing up a Condor Roof Nest tomorrow and test it this weekend, can't wait!
Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_3184
Sponsored

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Just came back from a 8 day Overlanding adventure from LA to Moab cutting through Zion/Bryce, Lake Powell, Grand Staircase-Escalante, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches and finally, Moab. Amazing epic adventure! Happy to report that the DeeZee racks and CVT Mt. Hood RTT held up just fine!!! We camped at BLM land at all stops except in Moab where we stayed at Grandstaff Campground on the Colorado River...Epic trip! While at Moab, we completed Hell's Revenge, Metal Masher, Steel Bender, Poison Spyder and Prichet Canyon all with the DeeZee Racks and Mt. Hood RTT.

I will say that I had to check everyday (sometimes 2 or 3 times a day) before we left a spot that all the bolts and nuts where tight - they kept getting loose while going over the trails - lost 3 bolts/nuts and had to remove the front bar and use those bolts for the ones that came off. Difficult to get the bolts underneath that hold the rails from moving side to side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents 20201218_162257_2

20201218_114114.jpg

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone installed the Dee Zee rack on a 2 door or on a 4 door with the one touch top?

I own both of these jeeps and Iā€™m thinking I could make the rack work on both.

Iā€˜m fully aware on the one touch the top will have to remain closed due to limited clearance.

I plan on putting the Roofnest Condor or Condor XL on the rack and it would be great if one style rack could be used on both Jeepā€™s for this.
Unfortunately don't have the one touch tops so can't speak to whether this would work but not much clearance from the side rails to the cross bars, maybe 4 inches?

trilla

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JLU Sport 6spd
Just came back from a 8 day Overlanding adventure from LA to Moab cutting through Zion/Bryce, Lake Powell, Grand Staircase-Escalante, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches and finally, Moab. Amazing epic adventure! Happy to report that the DeeZee racks and CVT Mt. Hood RTT held up just fine!!! We camped at BLM land at all stops except in Moab where we stayed at Grandstaff Campground on the Colorado River...Epic trip! While at Moab, we completed Hell's Revenge, Metal Masher, Steel Bender, Poison Spyder and Prichet Canyon all with the DeeZee Racks and Mt. Hood RTT.

I will say that I had to check everyday (sometimes 2 or 3 times a day) before we left a spot that all the bolts and nuts where tight - they kept getting loose while going over the trails - lost 3 bolts/nuts and had to remove the front bar and use those bolts for the ones that came off. Difficult to get the bolts underneath that hold the rails from moving side to side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents 20201218_114114

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents 20201218_114114
That's awesome! I'm looking to get out of LA soon too. Any camping restrictions on BLM lands in UT?

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome! I'm looking to get out of LA soon too. Any camping restrictions on BLM lands in UT?
None that we were made aware of...I think the only thing for the primitive or dispersed sites was to use sites that had existing fire rings and not make new ones. I'd also check the local ranger stations to ensure the sites you had in mind are not closed off for the winter! We were getting hit hard with snow the last couple of days...

20201218_091315~2.jpg

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_1656

Finally installed ours last weekend and decided to use only the rear part of the rack for now (I want to still be able to take the freedom panels off). Installation was actually not bad at all and, fortunately, I received all of the hardware I was supposed to with my kit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_1605

Since we've opted to pass on a RTT for now, I bought some Plano 36" rifle cases from Academy and modified them to slide on and off the rack for camping storage. They have built in locks and the ability to put a padlock through them as well. To remove them you'd have to get them open first so I don't have any worries about parking somewhere and exploring. First trip last weekend went extremely well. Plenty of room left up top for other storage options/gear. The rack is surprisingly solid. I was also pleased with the extremely minimal wind noise it added.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Finally installed ours last weekend and decided to use only the rear part of the rack for now (I want to still be able to take the freedom panels off). Installation was actually not bad at all and, fortunately, I received all of the hardware I was supposed to with my kit.

Since we've opted to pass on a RTT for now, I bought some Plano 36" rifle cases from Academy and modified them to slide on and off the rack for camping storage. They have built in locks and the ability to put a padlock through them as well. To remove them you'd have to get them open first so I don't have any worries about parking somewhere and exploring. First trip last weekend went extremely well. Plenty of room left up top for other storage options/gear. The rack is surprisingly solid. I was also pleased with the extremely minimal wind noise it added.
Nice setup!

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Wife, brother, and I went out for a 2 day camping trip. Did a little off-roading beforehand and got the Jeep and his brand new Ranger nice and dirty. Had a great time and me and the wife loved sleeping in the RTT on the DeeZee rack. Loving this so far! Just need to figure out a way to store the RTT in the off months and also be able to take off the hard top. What are you guys doing about that?

20201228-145324.jpg

Bulldown

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD All Terrain
Wife, brother, and I went out for a 2 day camping trip. Did a little off-roading beforehand and got the Jeep and his brand new Ranger nice and dirty. Had a great time and me and the wife loved sleeping in the RTT on the DeeZee rack. Loving this so far! Just need to figure out a way to store the RTT in the off months and also be able to take off the hard top. What are you guys doing about that?

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents 20201228-145324
I installed an electric winch from Harbor Freight on the garage ceiling. Wrapped 4 ratchet straps around RTT, then hooked to winch hook. Works pretty good for lifting off by myself. I ended up installing on my ceiling 4 lag eye-bolts above the 4 corners as well. When lifted with winch, these help support the load for storage using 4 more straps to from the RTT corners to to eye-bolts. Works good for long term storage. My garage is pretty tall and the RTT is over 10ft above floor. For $200.00, it works. You can always purchase a prefab pulley system like they sell for lifting canoes or Jeep tops. My solution worked for me.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed an electric winch from Harbor Freight on the garage ceiling. Wrapped 4 ratchet straps around RTT, then hooked to winch hook. Works pretty good for lifting off by myself. I ended up installing on my ceiling 4 lag eye-bolts above the 4 corners as well. When lifted with winch, these help support the load for storage using 4 more straps to from the RTT corners to to eye-bolts. Works good for long term storage. My garage is pretty tall and the RTT is over 10ft above floor. For $200.00, it works. You can always purchase a prefab pulley system like they sell for lifting canoes or Jeep tops. My solution worked for me.
Do you have pics you can share? Thank you!

Sponsored

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure, Iā€™ll be home this afternoon. Iā€™ll take a few and share.
Awesome! Was thinking of exactly the same but those lifts from Harbor freight weigh a ton.. not sure how strong and that it would hold...how did you mount to ceiling?

Bulldown

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD All Terrain
Awesome! Was thinking of exactly the same but those lifts from Harbor freight weigh a ton.. not sure how strong and that it would hold...how did you mount to ceiling?
The one I have doesnā€™t weigh too much. If your ceiling is flat, you could run a piece of unistrut across several ceiling joists and it should be good. The winch will slide through a piece of strut.

6D037038-E0B4-48DA-B808-1EA6E118D177.jpeg

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The one I have doesnā€™t weigh too much. If your ceiling is flat, you could run a piece of unistrut across several ceiling joists and it should be good. The winch will slide through a piece of strut.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents 6D037038-E0B4-48DA-B808-1EA6E118D177
Ok nice...may attempt to install next weekend. We have a flat drywalled ceiling so gotta first find studs and direction...

prototyp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW i3 REX, 2019 Wrangler Sport
Regarding wind noise, if you bought your rack before the air dam was included - request it. They were good about shipping it out; no mounting hardware, but no charge either. Great customer service.

I run two racks on a 2dr and it's pretty silent with no load up there. Very solid and versatile rack for the money.
Sponsored