Sponsored

Options for carrying a canoe/kayak

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Also, to add to the gutter rail weight limit, does anyone know if there’s a difference in the rail system from older JK’s and newer JL(U)’s? The JL’s today are fibreglass... the JK’s are as well? Same weight restrictions?
Sponsored

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Doesn't the gutter style say no kayaks or canoe? I'd be worried about lift and cracking at highway speeds.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Doesn't the gutter style say no kayaks or canoe? I'd be worried about lift and cracking at highway speeds.
Yes but I THINK it’s (mostly) referring to kayaks held sideways (j hooks) which would cause them to twist something fierce (the aerodynamics are wildly different when secured upright). The majority of people I know use J hooks so it makes sense that they would use it as a blanket for “not suitable for carrying kayaks. Canoe’s have a MASSIVE opening to catch the wind. Also bad. A kayak that lays flat is still risky, but much less so. I could be wildly wrong, but this makes sense to me.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Does anyone know the weight limit of the JLU(s) gutter rails? I keep hearing 80-ish pounds, but I can't seem to confirm that anywhere. And I'm having a HELLUVA time finding a system that will work for my kayak or SUP, in the summer and skis in the winter....

Am I correct to be concerned about the gutter cracking with a gutter mount crossbar system, or should I be looking at a backbone system? I only ever carry one 44 lb 11' kayak (or paddleboard) at a time (and 1-2 sets of skis), but I hit the water at least 3-4 times a week for two months out of the year (over 30 minutes of highway driving to get there).

Am I overreacting?
Umm? Yeah. We have a Skybox 18 and a PH ski/SB rack - going 60+ mph constant. No probs. The fibreglass rails are rock solid. Even under additional snow live loads. Manual says you are good for 100 lbs. With rack etc we are probs pretty close to that.

Get something like the Yakima gutter mount and you should be fine. We only use the rear portion and have avoided loading the freedom panels. Have used the same Yakima bars etc for over 30+ years - and they are still rock solid. Using a canoe etc just use a front tie down with trucker hitch. Anyways load your JL like this and you will have a ton of fun adventures.

The JL is a super fun 4x4. No doubt the remote start with heated wheel and seats etc is the most appreciated option for icy cold snow conditions. Smart functional design we use almost every time up in the snowy mtns.

801712A4-070E-4A80-985F-A11FC4464E93.png

Sponsored

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
I went with a set of old school Yakima A1 towers.

I always carry hull up/cockpit down. It is more aerodynamic, and keeps out water from sudden Florida down pours. I have never seen the logic in carrying them sideways, j-style.

DSCN1588.JPG

DSCN1593.JPG

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Cannot carry our kayaks on anything but the hull. They are wide fishing kayaks and have gear on them that we just leave on secured for transport. They have drain plugs to take out for any rain collected.

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
Been waiting for Metalcloak to update and start selling this front hoop for JLs, and I think this will be perfect to help carry my 17’ Grumman canoe. The hoop will support the weight and provide tie-down points in front, and I have a Reece canoe loader in the rear hitch, so the boat won’t contact the roof at all and can still run the Jeep top-down while transporting with no issues. Only hesitation is the price of the hoop...at $799 it is 2.5x the price of the same part for the JK.

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak 6E2ED5FC-245A-4DB1-A5CD-AD620AC09CF2

AussieJL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Overland Black/Black
I went with a set of old school Yakima A1 towers.

I always carry hull up/cockpit down. It is more aerodynamic, and keeps out water from sudden Florida down pours. I have never seen the logic in carrying them sideways, j-style.

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak 6E2ED5FC-245A-4DB1-A5CD-AD620AC09CF2

Do you ties down the bow as well? I also see you have gone right to the back and front of the hardtop for your racks - that's different to many I have seen on this thread - what are your thoughts with that? Last questions - how heavy is you kayak? How fast do you go over what distance?

AussieJL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Umm? Yeah. We have a Skybox 18 and a PH ski/SB rack - going 60+ mph constant. No probs. The fibreglass rails are rock solid. Even under additional snow live loads. Manual says you are good for 100 lbs. With rack etc we are probs pretty close to that.

Get something like the Yakima gutter mount and you should be fine. We only use the rear portion and have avoided loading the freedom panels. Have used the same Yakima bars etc for over 30+ years - and they are still rock solid. Using a canoe etc just use a front tie down with trucker hitch. Anyways load your JL like this and you will have a ton of fun adventures.

The JL is a super fun 4x4. No doubt the remote start with heated wheel and seats etc is the most appreciated option for icy cold snow conditions. Smart functional design we use almost every time up in the snowy mtns.

801712A4-070E-4A80-985F-A11FC4464E93.png
Such great info and pic - thanks. How far from the back and front of the hard top do you mount your racks?

Last edited:

Sponsored

AussieJL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yakima's Raingutter towers fit solidly. I've seen between 100 and 150 lbs thrown around for weight rating. Haven't tested it yet and will probably go light at first. The JL will only see boats occasionally and then only one or two. It's the hard top I'd be worried about as I've been abusing Yakima stuff for years with no issues. Usually grossly exceeding their weight ratings. Won't load the JL like I do my XJ though!
IMG_4072.JPG
IMG_6528.JPG
IMG_7088.JPG
IMG_8189.JPG
Have you got a follow up report on what you loaded the JL with? Weight? Length? Speed? Distance?

AussieJL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The fiberglass top is the concern even though apparently it has metal rain gutters. Tying the front of the kayak to the front bumper should illuminate most wind stresses. But still, fiberglass will get twisting forces on it.
Does anyone know what the steel rain gutters are tied to? Is there a steel frame around top perimeter?
Following

AussieJL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H
Glad to hear this. I pick up like-new Yakima 1A raingutter towers and two sets of Bowdown kayak holders for cheap on CL. Haven't had a chance to load and haul boats yet. This is encouraging.
Have you had a chance to test? How did it go? What weight, length, speed and distance?

AussieJL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's been almost a year and a half since I started this thread but I'm happy to report that I finally strapped my canoe onto my JLUR.

I ended up getting a set of Rhino Vortex bars and paired them with a Thule Portage canoe mount.

The instructions for the Vortex indicated that I should place the front bar onto the Freedom panels - although I'm not sure how safe that is.

I also found it a little difficult to find a place to mount my front tie down but that's just another excuse for me to upgrade my bumper in the future.

How have the past 18 months gone with your setup? I'm not sure I'm going to use the freedom panels, but am planning a very similar setup.
Sponsored