Sponsored

Rock-Trac® Full-Time 4WD (safer on-road for teen?)

SteveTigers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
Happy New Year everyone! I am ordering a Rubicon and deciding whether or not to include full-time 4WD. My 16 year old will be driving the Jeep regularly, so I am making it as safe as possible. Does Full-Time 4WD improve the stability control, thereby making it safer if he goes into a corner too hot? Thanks, Steve
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

A general problem —if one can call it that— is that by increasing the feeling on confidence, 4WD makes it easier to get into trouble. Particularly in the hands of inexperienced drivers.

I have Selec-Trac in my Sahara: absolutely love it. But I view Selec-Trac as a convenience feature rather than a safety feature.

4WD gets you going, it don’t get you stoppin’.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I would definitely have it, over the part time system. Nothing wrong with either one, but a nice convenience. I wish mine had it.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Most "new" drivers probably wouldn't want to deal with slowing down, shifting an additional lever, etc....(most can't even drive a manual transmission...) I'm sure there are a few.
Probably a better idea to get the select-trac.

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Happy New Year everyone! I am ordering a Rubicon and deciding whether or not to include full-time 4WD. My 16 year old will be driving the Jeep regularly, so I am making it as safe as possible. Does Full-Time 4WD improve the stability control, thereby making it safer if he goes into a corner too hot? Thanks, Steve
I would recommend having the 16 year old not get used to Automatic 4WD as it may encourage unsafe behavior. A rear wheel drive with a manual 4wd option sounds much more reasonable in my eyes and safer as a parent. This way a child will know they dont constantly have that safety net but have something that may allow them to engage should they be in a tough spot (snow, very heavy rain, etc). This will also discourage them to be reckless.

Just my 2 cents and apologize in advance if anyone strongly disagrees.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most "new" drivers probably wouldn't want to deal with slowing down, shifting an additional lever, etc....(most can't even drive a manual transmission...) I'm sure there are a few.
Probably a better idea to get the select-trac.
In my mind, Automatics are putting North American drivers at a disadvantage versus their European and Asian counterparts (where manuals still dominate by a long margin). In almost all of EU and Asia you get a restricted license if you take your road test in an Automatic.

Even in my house, the wife bullies me into Automatics. I want to go back to a manual! They are dying in North America but are still thriving significantly in EU and most of Asia.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
It's a pain in the ass driving through grid styled city streets when the road goes from snow to black top every other block while making a dozen 90 degree turns. Even worse when parallel parking on top of snow when you have no choice but to turn full lock with 4WD on and just hoping the tires don't get too much grip and break something.

Last edited:

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
If this option had been available when I ordered my 20' Rubi, I would have for sure ordered it. Love it on my Longhorn in rain, light snow and hard-pack but muddy/slippery roads/trails.

OP
OP
SteveTigers

SteveTigers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Let me ask the full-time 4WD question differently. Is the full-time 4WD safer because it redirects power and brakes to four wheels instead of two? I’m thinking along the line of Audi’s Quattro that really holds the road.

Since you guys touched on it, my wife and I are on the fence whether or not to buy a manual. Two weeks ago, it was a given that having him drive a manual was safer. He and I test drove a new manual Civic, and after an hour, he got the hang of it. It was fun to see him learn. I really enjoyed the test drive too :).

I think that driving a manual will force him to pay more attention, and thus be a safer. Both my wife and I grew up driving manuals, and she says she would like to have one again, too.

So why the question about full time FWD? It’s because I started looking at getting a 4xe, and full-time 4WD is standard on it. When I started digging into it, I began to think that if it helps the Jeep hold the road better, then it may be safer to get an automatic with it, than buying a manual.

Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Pretty smart to have him learn to drive a manual on the test drive of another vehicle besides yours! ;)

The AWD is a nice option, but no, it is not safer in the manner you asked. It does not change the jeeps stability or any of that. It just saves the transfer case when someone forgets to shift back to 2 wheel on pavement.

I am not really sure that a Jeep is the vehicle to start out in if you are really worried about safety. Buy a Volvo with AWD and he will be good!

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re not going to hurt the transfer case if you forget to put it back into 2wd. It will let you know if it binds up in a turn. It won’t bind up just driving down the highway between icy spots.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Let me ask the full-time 4WD question differently. Is the full-time 4WD safer because it redirects power and brakes to four wheels instead of two? I’m thinking along the line of Audi’s Quattro that really holds the road.

Since you guys touched on it, my wife and I are on the fence whether or not to buy a manual. Two weeks ago, it was a given that having him drive a manual was safer. He and I test drove a new manual Civic, and after an hour, he got the hang of it. It was fun to see him learn. I really enjoyed the test drive too :).

I think that driving a manual will force him to pay more attention, and thus be a safer. Both my wife and I grew up driving manuals, and she says she would like to have one again, too.

So why the question about full time FWD? It’s because I started looking at getting a 4xe, and full-time 4WD is standard on it. When I started digging into it, I began to think that if it helps the Jeep hold the road better, then it may be safer to get an automatic with it, than buying a manual.
My vote is for the manual. The less automated his vehicle equals the lower likelihood of reckless behavior. If possible I would recommend buying him an new or used Wrangler Sport S. Whether 2 or 4 doors can be your choice.

Edit: I myself am a 34 year old father of a 3 year old. Hope that Manuals stay around North America when she is old enough to drive. Wife will disagree with me but I want to teach my daughter how to drive in a Manual. So far below is what she has been driving.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock-Trac® Full-Time 4WD (safer on-road for teen?) Screenshot_20210101-211546_Samsung Internet

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t buy him anything. He will be a lot more careful when he pays for it. :CWL:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am not familiar with Audi’s Quattro system, but Jeep is very particular about making its 4WD systems and Electronic Stability Control (ESC) work independently from one another. It is the ESC, not the 4WD, that will save your neck if your vehicle loses control. ESC intervenes regardless of being in 2H or 4H.

Besides, you cannot order the Selec-Trac with the manual transmission; you are required to get the the 8-speed automatic.
Sponsored