Sponsored

8.4" Infotainment or Stinger 10" head unit upgrade?

Jimmyz275

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I can. They are specific so you need to make sure the front USB cable goes in the top and USB cable for the rear ports go in the bottom.
To clarify Apple CarPlay and android work through the center and back USB ports. The front port below the AC is used for uploading firmware upgrades and personal wallpapers.

Sponsored

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
How much if DIY is the head unit by itself if I may ask? Looks great!!
It ain't cheap!

The standalone head unit is $889 but with a JL, you're going to want the JL specific install kit which is another $599 (custom bezel and all the wiring/modules to make sure your head unit can talk with the Jeep systems/CANBUS).

I bought it from CreativeAudio (https://creativeaudio.net/stingerbdl200928-01/) for $1448.95.

I also added the SD card that gives sat nav (SE-P14 | $150) and an XM Tuner (SXV300V1 | $50).

I hit Creative Audio up on chat before paying and they gave me another 11% off the whole order.

After TN sales tax (9.25%) I paid $1,603.

Hope that helps!

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Manual Magnuson JLR, '16 Manual Cayman GT4
I made the same decision to get the Stinger unit instead of upgrading the OEM unit, as I just ordered my Jeep 2 months ago. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, especially because you should be able to recoup some cost selling your OEM unit.

Btw, I can get slightly better prices on the Stinger units than what is available online, as my friend is an authorized dealer. Feel free to shoot me a DM if I can be helpful.

OP
OP
Twojayhawks

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I decided to hold on to my OE head unit in case the Stinger craps out down the road & I need to reinstall it. Holding on to it will insure the Stinger never fails. But if I get rid of it it likely will :)

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I made the same decision to get the Stinger unit instead of upgrading the OEM unit, as I just ordered my Jeep 2 months ago. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, especially because you should be able to recoup some cost selling your OEM unit.

Btw, I can get slightly better prices on the Stinger units than what is available online, as my friend is an authorized dealer. Feel free to shoot me a DM if I can be helpful.
Who the heck will buy the POS stock unit?

Sponsored

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
Lots of Jeepers, and for good money. The 5” head unit is garbage and the 7” is just okay.
I agree, had an 8.4 in my WK and the 7 in my JT - 'just ok' is being a little generous however 😉. Probably wouldn't have replaced an 8.4 with a Stinger, but replacing my 7 was a no brainer for me.

avnmech

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Get the Heigh10 you will not be disappointed. All said and done you are looking at about $1700 out the door, but that would be the radio, a satellite tuner, and the navigation card. I recommend getting the navigation card if you go anywhere where there may not be cell service, for $150 it will pay for its self the first time you find yourself in the rockies headed to Reno in the middle of a snow storm with no cell service, speaking from experience.

SargeWiegand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe, 2020 Rubicon Recon
Just had the stinger installed yesterday. I had the 8.4. I like the 8.4 I just have problems of always wanting bigger and better.

My initial reaction is that I may of made a mistake, but I need to give it time and see if it grows on me. The different OS have their own quirks that I need to learn.

For me the interface on the radio, bluetooth and sirus feels dated and not as refined as the 8.4. It is bland and the ability to move around to different sources is a bit clunky. I think I really liked the 8.4 options, everything felt within 1 to 2 touches at most.

The home screen and navigating through options again is different and not really used to it yet, but still does not feel as organic as the 8.4

The jeep specific menus and screens look much better and feel like I am using a different unit, I wish the other screens mentioned before felt as refined and as appealing as these. The functionality you get from these menus is great as well. These options are the only thing from making me roll back. In my opinion this is were the unit shines.

I am not a big apple or android car play person, so those do nothing for me.

I already have a dsp installed so the eq/crossover functionality is not needed either.

Being that I am on radio or bt primarily it feels like a throwback to my early 00s double din radio.

I will leave it in a month before making a final decision if I will keep or not.

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Manual Magnuson JLR, '16 Manual Cayman GT4
Any of you guys using the remote turn-on coming out of the Stinger Heigh10 to turn on your amps?

Mine appears to be cutting out when the Jeep's ESS turns the engine back on. Meaning, I get to a red light...the engine turns off (amps are still on)...then I depress the clutch and the engine turns back on (amps are temporarily off), and then finally my amps are fully on again.

This is CRAZY, though. Just trying to see if any one else is experiencing this phenomena.

The head unit itself stays on...just seems like the remote/accessory turn-on is going off for a split second.
Sponsored