Sponsored

Why do dealers refuse to discuss pricing on-line?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I have been requesting 'out-the-door' pricing from a couple dozen Jeep dealers via their websites.
I carefully listed the options I want, that I have a Treat Lightly control number, that I do not need financing,
that I have already received offers at 5% below invoice, etc. I also make clear that I need to communicate
via email rather than on the phone. Yet quite a few dealers have called me regardless and insist that they
cannot give me a price quote without orally discussing the order.
If they won't volunteer a price that I can print out...can I expect that they will try to jack up the price later?
Sponsored

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
I have been requesting 'out-the-door' pricing from a couple dozen Jeep dealers via their websites.
I carefully listed the options I want, that I have a Treat Lightly control number, that I do not need financing,
that I have already received offers at 5% below invoice, etc. I also make clear that I need to communicate
via email rather than on the phone. Yet quite a few dealers have called me regardless and insist that they
If they won't volunteer a price that I can print out...can I expect that they will try to jack up the price later?
They don’t want to have paper trail...

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I had several that would give me a POC with a final price over email. I had others that wouldn't.

I even went into 1 dealership in person, did a test drive, and the salesman redirected me to their internet person to work the deal before it came back to him. They did so much Internet business they just centralized all the negotiation with their internet salesperson.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
When I was purchasing, majority of the quotes I received were via email. I just didn't include my phone number when they asked lol. Some however were stubborn and we spoke through phone. The first response via email is almost always generic, then you get through to someone. Eventually.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I did most of my negotiating online. However, I have employee pricing so I already had my invoice printed out for what I wanted and was within $200 so there really wasn't much to negotiate.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I am sorry that I included my phone number on my online price request. I specifically stated that communication be via email...and that I wanted no substitutions or additions for color, transmission, or other options. Yet I am being bombarded by dealer phone calls saying that although they don't have what I want...they have a really neat vehicle on the lot that I would never buy. I have been crossing those dealers off my second contact list.
If they won't listen now...what will they be like when I need some warranty service?

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Chuck,

I played that game too. I have this thing about not answering phone calls from unknown numbers...but I always check the number afterwards to see who called. I had emailed several dealers in my area and got answers from most of them. But a couple tried to call...and then lied when I confronted them about it. HELLO...it was your dealership's number that called. HAHA. These dealers were struck off the list real quick. I finally settled on a price (via email) and went into the dealer to place the order. And then the waiting game started...it has been 6 weeks so far.

thehangingchad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Chuck,

I played that game too. I have this thing about not answering phone calls from unknown numbers...but I always check the number afterwards to see who called. I had emailed several dealers in my area and got answers from most of them. But a couple tried to call...and then lied when I confronted them about it. HELLO...it was your dealership's number that called. HAHA. These dealers were struck off the list real quick. I finally settled on a price (via email) and went into the dealer to place the order. And then the waiting game started...it has been 6 weeks so far.
A little tip is to get a google voice number and do your communication via that. Then when it is said and done, you can block the numbers that keep calling through google voice.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
No paper trails, so no emails. Plus some savy buyers will leverage quotes to negotiate deals with multiple buyers...smart for us, but dealers don’t like it. Eventually this dealer and pricing model will need to change.

I did my deal in person post test drive after contacting them through my bank which is partnered with Truecar. I’m now running into issues with the Truecar pricing as I was told by the dealer the discount given by Truecar included a military rebate of $500, so they did not add it on top of the Truecar price. They just adjusted the numbers on the purchase order so the total equaled the Truecar price after applying the military rebate. By doing this the deal netted the dealer an additional $500 which I’m kinda pissed off about. I’m working with Truecar now to correct the issue as the dealer probably won’t even discuss it with me as I already purchased the Jeep.

Example:
Truecar price - $49,500
Dealer price - $50,000 - $500 rebate = $49,500 (to match Truecar)

Should’ve looked like this:
Dealer price - $49,500 (truecar) - $500 rebate = $49,000

Now, I didn’t get that in an email or on paper, so again there is no paper trail which is why they don’t like emailing quotes.

k9chita

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had zero issues getting a quote online. I had it immediately from Koons in Northern Virginia, then sent an email to my local dealership 40 miles north in Annapolis and they immediately matched the price. 5% under the invoice. Ordered a week later...stuck in "D" for the last 9 days since I got my VIN. Checked with Jeep Chat today and the premium soft top is still apparently backed up until May 14th at the earliest.

Sponsored

NaughtyGeek

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Dodge Dart, 1969 Corvette 350/350, 2003 Exploder, 2005 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2015 4 Runner, 2017 JKUR
Most of the dealers in this area don't want to get into specifics via email as they want you "in-house" so they can turn on the old school pressure tactics. The dealer I ended up purchasing from was shocked because I emailed requesting an out the door price and once I had it I showed up and purchased the vehicle with nothing more than an email exchange. He said nearly 100% of email only contacts never go anywhere.

hockey523

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Audi S5, '18 JLU Rubicon, '05 TJ Sport
Purchased my JLUR 100% through email. Spent 10 minutes at dealer dropping off deposit and another 30 min for test drive/closing when the jeep arrived. Best car buying experience i've had.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
If they won't listen now...what will they be like when I need some warranty service?
Sales and service are completely different operations. As others have said, they essentially operate as two different organizations.

Kery00

First Name
Kery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango, Ford CMAX, Punk'n Jeep on the way
I was able to do pretty much all my dealing through email. Just went into the dealer after I had come to an agreement on price. I did email about 5 dealers and most just sent back a basic form email saying they had the Vehicle I was looking for. Obviously I knew they did not as no one had or has a Punk'n on the lot. I ended up with a little under 7% under Invoice.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
I was able to do pretty much all my dealing through email. Just went into the dealer after I had come to an agreement on price. I did email about 5 dealers and most just sent back a basic form email saying they had the Vehicle I was looking for. Obviously I knew they did not as no one had or has a Punk'n on the lot. I ended up with a little under 7% under Invoice.
I’m 3 weeks into ordering through a dealer, and only ever have communicated by e-mail so far. I’m flying, then driving 8 hours to not have to go through the “classic” car-buying experience. I’m a straight shooter, and I appreciate no-games buying. I’m willing to give up a whole day of my life to do it.
Sponsored