Sponsored

Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!!

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I did the Carrizo Mountain jeep trail a couple weeks ago. The trail is located in Southern California, west Imperial County off of I-8. The trail starts in a volcanic rock desert wash at about 200 feet and quickly climbs up to 2200 feet. The trail is a true shelf trail with lots of rocks and steep inclines. If you are fearful of heights, this trail is not for you. At times the trail is narrow, rocky with a vertical face on one side and a thousand foot drop off on the other. Zero room for
error. The trail is out and back. The trail closes January 1 and opens July 1.
20201205_152112.jpg
20201205_151941.jpg
20201205_150916.jpg
20201205_150326.jpg
20201205_140545.jpg
20201205_140144.jpg
20201205_121111.jpg
20201205_122538.jpg
IMG_2234.jpg
I use to have a place I socal. I've rode all over and really miss the riding there. Unfortunately, I missed this place, thanks.:rock:
Sponsored

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
@MSteeves thank you for sharing all those trails and looking forward to more reports. Have you done the Rimrocker trail from Montrose to Moab yet?

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
When you pass through Yellowstone do not miss the opportunity to go over the Beartooth Hwy/Pass. This is my single favorite drive I have ever done. I just took my kids over it last summer on the way back from picking up my JLURD in Idaho. They are still talking about it. My kids thought Yellowstone was "ok" and "kinda fun", but they are still raving about the Beartooth.

Trip was late June BTW (note the snow).

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 1221201335

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 1221201335
Can you please give me info on where this is? When I look up Beartooth Hwy on Google Maps, I get a paved, US Highway 212. Is that it?

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Can you please give me info on where this is? When I look up Beartooth Hwy on Google Maps, I get a paved, US Highway 212. Is that it?
Yes, that is it. It is a wonderful drive that i was recommending as a route coming back from or going to Glacier. There are a couple short dirt side roads...and if snowing (which can happen any time of the year) it becomes very much a 4wd only road...until it gets closed. However in good weather it is open to all. I have ridden it on a motorcycle (sport bike and tourer) a few times, and have driven over it probably 15 or so times. It never fails to amaze.

Sponsored

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
Yes, that is it. It is a wonderful drive that i was recommending as a route coming back from or going to Glacier. There are a couple short dirt side roads...and if snowing (which can happen any time of the year) it becomes very much a 4wd only road...until it gets closed. However in good weather it is open to all. I have ridden it on a motorcycle (sport bike and tourer) a few times, and have driven over it probably 15 or so times. It never fails to amaze.
Thanks--we take road trips through Wyoming and Montana just about every year. We'll check it out!

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Northeast TENNESSEE

Horse Creek Park in Chuckey, TN

Roughly 3,000' elevation gain in under 4 miles. Stock Jeep can make it no problem, beautiful overlook at the top, go a little further and it dead ends into the A/T if you want to go hiking.

You will cross water 7-8 times each way, best to go after a lot of rain to make the crossings more fun. They are never deep enough to get into the floorboards in my experience though. Plenty of rocks in the trail make it quite a bit bumpy, average speed is 4-5 mph.

Video is sped up 8 times to show us going up & down the trail.

Deleted member 59098

I just did the Mojave road and it was pretty easy. Mostly 2WD even. There was a little hill that may challenge some rigs, but I just creeped up it no problem. I believe there is a bypass too. There’s also another pass that has a little bit of roughness too it. Mainly put it in 4lo to gear down for the descent. I skipped the water crossing section, but that looks doable by a regular Jeep as well.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
Northeast TENNESSEE

Horse Creek Park in Chuckey, TN

Roughly 3,000' elevation gain in under 4 miles. Stock Jeep can make it no problem, beautiful overlook at the top, go a little further and it dead ends into the A/T if you want to go hiking.

You will cross water 7-8 times each way, best to go after a lot of rain to make the crossings more fun. They are never deep enough to get into the floorboards in my experience though. Plenty of rocks in the trail make it quite a bit bumpy, average speed is 4-5 mph.

Video is sped up 8 times to show us going up & down the trail.

:rock:

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Can i make a suggestion? As this list builds; do a spread sheet that you can look up trails by state with a link to the post. Makes this great idea more usable.

Sponsored

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I just did the Mojave road and it was pretty easy. Mostly 2WD even. There was a little hill that may challenge some rigs, but I just creeped up it no problem. I believe there is a bypass too. There’s also another pass that has a little bit of roughness too it. Mainly put it in 4lo to gear down for the descent. I skipped the water crossing section, but that looks doable by a regular Jeep as well.
How long did this take you, (straight through or scenic stops)? On my list of things to do.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Can i make a suggestion? As this list builds; do a spread sheet that you can look up trails by state with a link to the post. Makes this great idea more usable.

Excellent Idea! Glad I saw your post before posting myself and looking like a copycat!

Deleted member 59098

How long did this take you, (straight through or scenic stops)? On my list of things to do.
Leaving early from Barstow, it only took a day and a couple hours the next morning. I mainly stayed on Mojave Road itself, but took one detour up a side road. I did skip part of the trail with the water crossing and dry lake. I could not find info on the lakebed conditions, so decided to skip. There’s a paved road from Baker that connects to Mojave Rd. I’d highly recommend the trip, such a scenic area.

WhitneyWillys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys
I did the Carrizo Mountain jeep trail a couple weeks ago. The trail is located in Southern California, west Imperial County off of I-8. The trail starts in a volcanic rock desert wash at about 200 feet and quickly climbs up to 2200 feet. The trail is a true shelf trail with lots of rocks and steep inclines. If you are fearful of heights, this trail is not for you. At times the trail is narrow, rocky with a vertical face on one side and a thousand foot drop off on the other. Zero room for
error. The trail is out and back. The trail closes January 1 and opens July 1.
Could you please post the start and end locations please? Will try this when it opens up.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Could you please post the start and end locations please? Will try this when it opens up.
Absolutely, please note that the trail is currently closed. The trail will officially open in the middle of summer, July 01, when it's typically 110 degrees outside there.
The trail begins outside Ocotillo, California, at Interstate 8 and S-2 junction. You can easily see Carrizo Mountain from Ocotillo to the north. The directions are from Ocotillo (Not Ocotillo Wells) head east on old Highway 80. A few miles down the road look for Painted Gorge sign. Turn into Painted Gorge and follow up into the gorge. A lot of people camp near the gorge. Once past the gate, follow the trail. The trail is rated 4.5 to 5 on a scale of 10, due to the extremely narrow shelf trail and the exposure of the 1,000 foot cliffs, using the color scale it's a solid blue. Have fun.
Sponsored

Last edited: