Gotta love Selec-Trac!

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
How old is that Tonka Jeep toy in your picture?. Very cool. I cant find one anywhere. Just the WW2 Military Green ones.
Not sure. Found the picture online. Reminded me of the one I got for Christmas when I was a kid.
Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! Didn't realize they offered Selec-Trac with the Rubicon now. Do you have the power lockers too?
Yes, Selec-Trac is separate from the diffs. In fact, Jeep is now offering Selec-Trac on some models without requiring the rear LSD. Rubicon retains front and rear lockers.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’ve now put about 1,000 miles on mine since a major snowstorm hit about a week ago. It’s been in AWD for the entire time and after having Selectrac couldn’t imagine not having it now.
And no noticeable difference in fuel economy when using AWD.
It’s a completely different system than I was used to in the last 5 Jeeps and half dozen 4wd trucks I’ve had over the years.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Last year, when I decided was going to buy my first Wrangler, I couldn't figure out the purpose of the Moab. It seemed like just an appearance package. I started a thread on here to help figure out the differences and also started doing my own research on why they made the Moab. Long story short, the Moab is the sweet spot in the lineup for people who plan to use the Jeep like me: Daily driver, four seasons, some off-roading but not hard-core rock crawling. The Select-Trac is key to that formula. And what I've found from talking to a lot of Rubicon owners, is the Moab would've been their pick if they had been more familiar with their options. One of the reasons there are not more Select-Trac (and Moab) JLs is because buyers don't investigate their options and dealers don't tell them because they want to move the inventory on their lots. Just like someone stated earlier in this thread, they looked all over for a Select-Trac and no dealers had them. Were any of the dealers quick to offer a special order for one? Evidently not. Anyway, I'm loving the Select-Trac and really glad I special ordered my 2019 Moab and not wait for the 20s. I wouldn't want my Jeep any other way.
Great post. We don't have select trac. Wish we did.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Last year, when I decided was going to buy my first Wrangler, I couldn't figure out the purpose of the Moab. It seemed like just an appearance package. I started a thread on here to help figure out the differences and also started doing my own research on why they made the Moab. Long story short, the Moab is the sweet spot in the lineup for people who plan to use the Jeep like me: Daily driver, four seasons, some off-roading but not hard-core rock crawling. The Select-Trac is key to that formula. And what I've found from talking to a lot of Rubicon owners, is the Moab would've been their pick if they had been more familiar with their options. One of the reasons there are not more Select-Trac (and Moab) JLs is because buyers don't investigate their options and dealers don't tell them because they want to move the inventory on their lots. Just like someone stated earlier in this thread, they looked all over for a Select-Trac and no dealers had them. Were any of the dealers quick to offer a special order for one? Evidently not. Anyway, I'm loving the Select-Trac and really glad I special ordered my 2019 Moab and not wait for the 20s. I wouldn't want my Jeep any other way.
Indeed. The tragedy of Moab was shitty marketing.

In typical FCA fashion, Jeep uploaded Moab onto the webpage with a steep MSRP and little explanation of what it was.

Back then we were used to seeing Rubicon at the top of the price ladder, so it was hard to understand how a Sahara could cost more. And even fewer knew what Selec-Trac was.

My guess is if FCA were to try again, Moab would sell much better this time. We are now trained to navigate through Jeep’s maze of limited editions, there’s a broader understanding of Selec-Trac, we have become used to seeing limited editions priced above Rubicon —and even somewhat numb to Wrangler’s price inflation.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I’ve driven all over public roads in South West Florida (read ‘well draining, flat roads) for past 12years, 25,000 to 35,000 miles per year, and the only issue I see select-trac, LSD, or any anti slip, etc. helping with is this: starting from a stop on wet pavement when driving aggressively and possibly, an emergency situation when you have to gun it. From my experience, defensive driving, a good set of tires, and rain x on the windows is all it takes to be safe in the summer afternoon thunderstorms of SW FL. That said, I probably should’ve gotten these options but couldn’t resist the Rubicon.
BINGO! Defensive driving, a good set of tires along with some common sense goes a long way. Fresh tires that are not aged out with good treads make more difference than anything. It's a lot more important to slow down when you notice hydroplaning and to leave plenty of room between you and the next vehicle. Especially with a heavy vehicle like a Wrangler.

Good visibility is the most important. I am surprised by how many friends I know have worn out wipers and can't see squat. Good wipers and windshield repellant is a must in summer and winter.

Check out PPG Aquapel. I find it's a LOT better than RainX. Last a lot longer also.

Sponsored

AussieJL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Overland Black/Black
Yeah, I agree. There’s something weird about that. Especially when someone is trying to “up-badge” their vehicle.

I stuck an “OVERLAND” decal on my hood because I liked the decal and the heritage of the “Overland” name in Jeep’s history.

7C49A5BF-D84E-49C2-8017-3860B2A46B9C.jpeg

But some people seem to get confused to no end when they see a Sahara with a big OVERLAND decal plastered on the hood. So I ordered a SAHARA decal from pixeldecals; it should arrive in the next week or two. I’ll post pix when it arrives.
In Australia, the Sahara name has been the high end version of a Toyota Landcruiser forever, so the US Sahara is called Overland here. It's badged on the side and stitched into the front seats. Comes standard with Selec-Trac. And I love it. Reading through this post, I wish I had some snow to drive on...will have to stick to the beaches.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gotta love Selec-Trac! ED464609-1CB1-43A7-A0E0-0C5DE3E8CAB2

Last edited:

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
I do sure wish I had a Select-Trac on my Willys! I had that on my 03 WJ Grand Cherokee and that thing was great in the Winter time around these parts.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I do sure wish I had a Select-Trac on my Willys! I had that on my 03 WJ Grand Cherokee and that thing was great in the Winter time around these parts.
I agree. I too had Selec-Trac on my 2001 WJ.

That Grand Cherokee got me hooked on Jeeps...and on Selec-Trac!
Sponsored