Sponsored

SPIED: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JL) Sport 4X4 V6 with ESS (video)

redriderbob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Journalist & Spy Photographer

We caught a Pentastar V6 powered 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JL) Sport 4X4 prototype running the early hours of the morning showing off it's ESS capability. All images and video are copyright property of Real Fast Fotography© 2017
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
That sounds like crap. I would have to figure out a way to permanently shut it off.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I’m really pissed the sport is getting these horrible looking taillights

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
For those who don't want to sit through the entire video:

Start watching at 0:50 for the ESS function.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think I'm the only person who loves the ESS addition. Saving fuel around town means more money for cheeseburgers.

Sponsored

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Personally if I had an option I would not have ESS. Perhaps you save a few $$ on gas but I wonder how much extra wear and tear you wind up putting on other components.

Also if the system isn't designed well you could really run into problems. In the UK smart put ESS on Fortwos and this caused drive belt failures. When the belt goes it takes the water pump with it so if you don't stop immediately you overheat your motor which can wind up being blown head gasket or worse a cracked block.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, '22 XR
I worry about wear and tear from this stuff too, but personally would probably not keep a mopar product long before trading in enough to find out. :giggle:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
That sounds like crap. I would have to figure out a way to permanently shut it off.
It must be defeated! We will find a way!

Simple way is to duct tape the button so it's permanently pressed or use jumper wire on the back of the switch like the F-150 owners are doing to keep the button permanently activated (ESS disabled).

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Sponsored

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Me too !
I wish LED's were across all models. (wouldn't it be cheaper than buying and stocking 2 different taillights ?)
MFGs use 'content' upgrades like this as a means to woo buyers into higher transaction price (and possibly higher margin) vehicles. I bet a lot of folks buy Hard Rock and Recon editions for looks alone. Heck, the Sahara edition is really just a fancy-looks package with few functional upgrades over what you can get on a Sport. And people paying for the more expensive models want something to visually set themselves apart from folks driving the cheaper models.

But yeah, from an overall supply chain standpoint I would think it'd be cheaper and more efficient to have a single model of tail light and front fender lights.

Something I'll be interested to see is if the LED tail lights and front fender lights will be at least optional across all models, or if the availability will be restricted.

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
MFGs use 'content' upgrades like this as a means to woo buyers into higher transaction price (and possibly higher margin) vehicles. I bet a lot of folks buy Hard Rock and Recon editions for looks alone. Heck, the Sahara edition is really just a fancy-looks package with few functional upgrades over what you can get on a Sport. And people paying for the more expensive models want something to visually set themselves apart from folks driving the cheaper models.

But yeah, from an overall supply chain standpoint I would think it'd be cheaper and more efficient to have a single model of tail light and front fender lights.

Something I'll be interested to see is if the LED tail lights and front fender lights will be at least optional across all models, or if the availability will be restricted.
Yeah......let's hope they will at least be optional "LED Lighting Package".

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm the only person who loves the ESS addition. Saving fuel around town means more money for cheeseburgers.
You spelled beer wrong... :giggle:

:beer::beer:

:jk: