Retired Fire Chief

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Smittybilt Overlander Hard Shell Rooftop Tent
Thinking about getting one.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smittybilt-overlander-hard-shell-rooftop-tent-2983/_/R-DSBP-2983

If I were going to do it over, I’d order a Roofnest Sparrow or Sparrow XL.

It sucks how hard these things are to check out in advance before you buy one, but I just don’t expect the Smittybilt version will be very well made. So I’d rather drop a bit more coin and get one from a company that has been doing it awhile.

OP
OP
floridawolfman

floridawolfman

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
If I were going to do it over, I’d order a Roofnest Sparrow or Sparrow XL.

It sucks how hard these things are to check out in advance before you buy one, but I just don’t expect the Smittybilt version will be very well made. So I’d rather drop a bit more coin and get one from a company that has been doing it awhile.
I’m ok with the size, features, and what I can tell from the info. My issue is the cost of a rack. They recommend the Mopar overland tent rack. Said it’s about $1,1000
I’m good with that also if I pull the trigger on the setup, because the mopar has a higher weight rating and only attaches to the roof, not the sides.
Now if o can find a part number for the rack 🤪

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I’m ok with the size, features, and what I can tell from the info. My issue is the cost of a rack. They recommend the Mopar overland tent rack. Said it’s about $1,1000
I’m good with that also if I pull the trigger on the setup, because the mopar has a higher weight rating and only attaches to the roof, not the sides.
Now if o can find a part number for the rack 🤪
First I heard of Mopar offering an overland rack. I have the Rhino Backbone and am happy with it. Some people are using a no drill solution and haven’t heard of any hardtops collapsing yet. The rack is definitely a big part of it though.

Size is fine, but you also have to think about the mattress, shell quality, and general ease of use. Our current Thule/Tepui we have had some issues with and it is a real pain to get them fixed. We are supposed to be getting a new one in a few weeks, evidently they really screwed up the first Thule run by changing the Tepui designs. Hopefully the new one will be better.

Just my impression of Smittybilt products I’ve handled or bought has been that quality isn’t their #1 priority.

OP
OP
floridawolfman

floridawolfman

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
First I heard of Mopar offering an overland rack. I have the Rhino Backbone and am happy with it. Some people are using a no drill solution and haven’t heard of any hardtops collapsing yet. The rack is definitely a big part of it though.

Size is fine, but you also have to think about the mattress, shell quality, and general ease of use. Our current Thule/Tepui we have had some issues with and it is a real pain to get them fixed. We are supposed to be getting a new one in a few weeks, evidently they really screwed up the first Thule run by changing the Tepui designs. Hopefully the new one will be better.

Just my impression of Smittybilt products I’ve handled or bought has been that quality isn’t their #1 priority.
I’m going to go with these bars. I’ve researched a lot of racks. I can store 4 bars a lot easier than a rack. I’ve read different reviews on hem and everyone praises them. They handle more than enough weight for an overland tent and occupants.

https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/Exposed-Racks/ER69FR.html
Sponsored