Guess Who I ran into today

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
This all happened in about 2 seconds. I saw him coming into the curve and I thought damn he’s flying I’m not sure he’ll make that. I was expecting his back end to loose it but was surprised to see the whole damn car drifting into my lane. I saw a power pole on the right and knew if I swerved hard I’d hit it so I tried to thread the needle and then realized that he wasn’t going to make it by me. After he hit I looked in the mirror a thought he’d roll since he was still flying. He came across to the shoulder just about that pole and finally corrected it. He must have hit my wheel on the back. There is minor damage to the fender but the real problem is the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with all kind of sensor warnings. In addition carfax will show it as a wrecked vehicle now and the value will drop to who knows what. It’s at the Jeep dealership now and I’ll go from there.

thats rough! Sorry man! And I was expecting a deer...

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
This video and post (thank you Stan) just inspired me to pull the trigger on a dash cam for my Jeep....
I have a dash cam in both of our Jeeps, but something like this has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter if that's a police car or random vehicle, it's quite obvious he's left of center when they collide. Hard to argue with roadway evidence (tire marks, debris, marks in grass, etc).
I got a camera for scenarios like someone else mentioned such as someone backing into you and then claiming you rear ended them. Also for the chance that someone ran a red light, then they claim yours was red. Stuff like that the camera can quickly resolve. Left of center though, is pretty hard for someone to dispute.

Most states only allow (by law) police to exceed the speed limit by a certain amount while running code. None of them follow this, of course.
Actually, I've yet to hear of a state that has a specific speed by which they can exceed the limit. The law will typically have wording such as "reasonable" and "due regard" which are standards used by SCOTUS.

..... Dont let them tell you they decide where its fixed or what it will cost....
I assume you're talking about the insurance company here, because obviously the pd has nothing to do with that, and I doubt they'd care where you took it. But yes, go to the shop you want, not the one they pick (*unless it's the same place of course). You have the right to have your vehicle repaired at the location of your choosing.

be careful in speaking to any reviewer or investigator. They may try to weasel out of it by trying to cite you or put you at fault for not yielding right of way to an emergency vehicle, dont let them even try to go down that road. If you get questions like “when did you see the vehicle” or similar, that’s what they are trying to do.
Paranoid much? It's quite obvious the cop was left of center and would likely be impossible to try such a thing. But I guess I'm just more trusting.

.... Remember cops can lie cheat and steal anything, any way if it is in the name of entrapping you .....
Um, no. Cops can't steal. Unless you consider seizing you illegal drugs as stealing, in which case I guess they can. Also entrapment is illegal, so they can't do that either.
If they let you do something illegal you would have done on your own, that's not entrapment.
Here's an example for clarification.
1) A bait car is in a parking lot with the keys in it. They park it and walk away while a covert person watches the car. You jump in and drive away. They swoop in and arrest you for GTA.
- That's just a criminal getting caught for doing what they do.
2) A car is in a parking lot with the keys in it. A stranger (undercover cop) approaches you and asks you to move the car. He says it's his buddy's car but he doesn't know how to drive and the car is in the middle of the parking lot. Being a nice guy you decide to help out and get in to move the car. Once you do, they swoop in and arrest you.
- That's entrapment.
The difference is that they got you to do something you wouldn't have done without being tricked into doing it. There's a big difference, and they can't entrap you due to federal law.

.... I wish we could eliminate traffic police and install cameras to replace them....
Nooooooo. Traffic cameras a such crap. Blind enforcement with no discretion. Plus they have little effect on safety. Say you're diving down the road and see a patrol car. I bet you slow down (assuming you were speeding of course). Meanwhile you could be on the same road, at the same speed, and have no idea the camera was there. Since you don't see the camera you don't slow down and you get the ticket in the mail a few days later. How exactly did that camera make the community safer? All that traffic cameras was good for was making money.
In some places you can't even contest the charge issued by a traffic camera. Then you have the problem of tickets mailed that aren't even valid. Want an example:
Jeep Wrangler JL Guess Who I ran into today 1609086014299

I bet they probably mailed one to the tow truck too. Two tickets for the price of one.

I don't know for sure if that's real or a photoshop circulating the internet, but it seem about right to me. My dad (who drive's annoyingly slow) got a ticket from a camera a few years ago. It sent 3 images of his car in the speed enforcement zone. You can clearly see through the sequence of images that a car in the next lane was passing him. Which tells me that was the speeder. A live person (cop) could have seen the difference and written the correct driver the ticket. He wanted to dispute it, but since it wasn't a traffic ticket (IIRC they classified it as a civil complaint) he couldn't contest the charge.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
This i have yet to see. While police are a necessary evil, they are certainly not there to protect. They don't fit in your pocket to jump out when protection is needed. Take them off the pedestal and realize they are doing a job. They show up after a crime is committed and investigate it.

The original post showed a prime example of "above the law". If the table was turned and the OP was taking a turn too fast or not paying attention and clipped the officers car, we would not have heard. The OP would not be allowed to post here from the cell. Just pointing out the obvious.

Last edited:

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winchell, you mention what can't be done because of federal law. Really?

It's against federal law to use the IRS against political opponents. It's against federal law to send firearms over the border to drug cartels and have them used to kill US citizens. It is a federal crime to lie to the FISA court. It is a federal crime to delete your computer and phone memories that are ordered as evidence in an investigation. The list goes on. Federal law is broken with no consequences quite often.

When the law enforcers police the law enforcers there is little enforcement.

Sponsored

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
This i have yet to see. While police are a necessary evil, they are certainly not there to protect. They don't fit in your pocket to jump out when protection is needed. Take them off the pedestal and realize they are doing a job. They show up aftera crime is committed and investigate it.

The original post showed a prime example of "above the law". If the table was turned and the OP was taking a turn too fast or not paying attention and clipped the officers car, we would not have heard. The OP would not be allowed to post here from the cell. Just pointing out the obvious.
tell the people that were evacuated in nashville before the bomb went off a few days ago the police are not there to protect them. how about the active shooter that was recently taken down. you all need to get off the blind hate and open your eyes. anyone can use anecdotal evidence to support their narrow minds. police cars get hit all the time and the other drivers at fault walk away with nothing more then a traffic ticket or warning.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tell the people that were evacuated in nashville before the bomb went off a few days ago the police are not there to protect them. how about the active shooter that was recently taken down. you all need to get off the blind hate and open your eyes. anyone can use anecdotal evidence to support their narrow minds. police cars get hit all the time and the other drivers at fault walk away with nothing more then a traffic ticket or warning.
There is no blindness or hate on my part. Just stating the obvious facts. The absolute rare occasions that you point out (like not stopping the bombing crime that was committed), well even a blind squirrel stumbles across a nut every now and then.

Next you will be thanking the nut job for driving around announcing that a bomb was going to go off.

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
Nooooooo. Traffic cameras a such crap. Blind enforcement with no discretion. Plus they have little effect on safety. Say you're diving down the road and see a patrol car. I bet you slow down (assuming you were speeding of course). Meanwhile you could be on the same road, at the same speed, and have no idea the camera was there. Since you don't see the camera you don't slow down and you get the ticket in the mail a few days later. How exactly did that camera make the community safer? All that traffic cameras was good for was making money.
In some places you can't even contest the charge issued by a traffic camera. Then you have the problem of tickets mailed that aren't even valid. Want an example:
Jeep Wrangler JL Guess Who I ran into today 1609086014299

I bet they probably mailed one to the tow truck too. Two tickets for the price of one.

I don't know for sure if that's real or a photoshop circulating the internet, but it seem about right to me. My dad (who drive's annoyingly slow) got a ticket from a camera a few years ago. It sent 3 images of his car in the speed enforcement zone. You can clearly see through the sequence of images that a car in the next lane was passing him. Which tells me that was the speeder. A live person (cop) could have seen the difference and written the correct driver the ticket. He wanted to dispute it, but since it wasn't a traffic ticket (IIRC they classified it as a civil complaint) he couldn't contest the charge.
The problem begins when you have defiant behavior by departments by using excuses for their lack of effort. The people breaking the laws have no excuse and It would work if there was strict enforcement. It’s having to trust people that is ridiculous and being exposed to unpredictable behavior by stupid people that put us in this predicament. People act like driving is a right, when it’s a privilege. Sure, there are faults with every system. You may occasionally use the systems in place to resolve those problems. For example, we have a toll road system that claims my vehicle entered the toll road, but a simple call and explanation cleared up my predicament.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Looking at this objectively raises a question. If the emergency warranted that speed, in those conditions, how did he have time to stop for a vehicle that was merely glanced? It seems that if there were a true emergency, he shouldn't have stopped. Conversely, if there was no emergency, he shouldn't have been speeding.

And...please don't accuse me of "blind hate" for asking.

Last edited:

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
Looking at this objectively raises a question. If the emergency warranted that speed, in those conditions, how did he have time to stop for a vehicle that was merely glanced? It seems that if there were a true emergency, he shouldn't have stopped. Conversely, if there was no emergency, he shouldn't have been speeding.

And...please don't accuse me of "blind hate" for asking.
Lol, why would I accuse you of anything? You didn’t say anything unreasonable. I would imagine most agencies have policy where you can’t commit a hit and run, even when running emergency traffic.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If the emergency warranted that speed, in those conditions, how did he have time to stop for a vehicle that was merely glanced?

It seems that if there were a true emergency, he shouldn't have stopped. Conversely, if there was no emergency, he shouldn't have been speeding.
Any number of LEOs could have been responding to the call in question. For the purposes of this discussion, only one of them was in a documented at-fault collision, though, where the reasonable standard of care would or should have required him to stop and check on the welfare of the other vehicle's occupant(s).

Said differently, it's quite possible that the presence of the officer (in the OP's video) at the emergency was fungible.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
This all happened in about 2 seconds. I saw him coming into the curve and I thought damn he’s flying I’m not sure he’ll make that. I was expecting his back end to loose it but was surprised to see the whole damn car drifting into my lane. I saw a power pole on the right and knew if I swerved hard I’d hit it so I tried to thread the needle and then realized that he wasn’t going to make it by me. After he hit I looked in the mirror a thought he’d roll since he was still flying. He came across to the shoulder just about that pole and finally corrected it. He must have hit my wheel on the back. There is minor damage to the fender but the real problem is the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with all kind of sensor warnings. In addition carfax will show it as a wrecked vehicle now and the value will drop to who knows what. It’s at the Jeep dealership now and I’ll go from there.

Sounds like you can hear him hit your Jeep. With that said, 3 words come to mind...DIMINISHED VALUE CLAIM...those are the 'buzz words' the insurance company needs to hear...in addition to any other damage that may have been caused by him.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Ohio has a law that allows cities/municipalities, to claim immunity in crashes where police officers, firefighters or emergency medical service members are "responding to an emergency call" and "there's no willful or wanton misconduct". Which means they do not have to reimburse for any damage, medical bills, lost wages, etc.
Good luck OP

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Ohio has a law that allows cities/municipalities, to claim immunity in crashes where police officers, firefighters or emergency medical service members are "responding to an emergency call" and "there's no willful or wanton misconduct". Which means they do not have to reimburse for any damage, medical bills, lost wages, etc.
Good luck OP
sounds right. If they dodge out, he’ll have to argue that the officers speed was wanton misconduct. Thats why i suggested looking at whats on the books for vehicles at emergency status etc.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
The problem begins when you have defiant behavior by departments by using excuses for their lack of effort. The people breaking the laws have no excuse and It would work if there was strict enforcement. It’s having to trust people that is ridiculous and being exposed to unpredictable behavior by stupid people that put us in this predicament. People act like driving is a right, when it’s a privilege. Sure, there are faults with every system. You may occasionally use the systems in place to resolve those problems. For example, we have a toll road system that claims my vehicle entered the toll road, but a simple call and explanation cleared up my predicament.

ah yes. “Driving is a privilege not a right”. while that is true, legally, ive heard that twisted in all manner and form that always results in some
version of you begging the government to let you do something. One cop wven used it combined with “pervasive regulation Of vehicles” for why he would search any vehicle he wanted at any time he wanted.

Left of center though, is pretty hard for someone to dispute.

Actually, I've yet to hear of a state that has a specific speed by which they can exceed the limit. The law will typically have wording such as "reasonable" and "due regard" which are standards used by SCOTUS.
then you havent really looked. States have to write the exemptions to state law for emergency vehicles. When i was cop many many years ago, we were allowed to use 1/4 of the other lane and exceed the speed limit by 10mph. It was written into state law. exigency allowed us to do more, but it was on us to prove what we did was necessary and reasonable.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.