37” BFG Ko2 AT vs 37” Nitto trail grappler mt

Dc7o2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon recon
Hello everyone. Merry xmas. First time jeep owner here. I have a 2020 JLUR “recon” edition with the 2.0l e-torque. I’m having the Mopar 2 inch lift installed by the dealer next week. I off-road any chance I can get on the weekends mostly desert/sand trails here in Las Vegas Nevada(rarely mud). Have a work vehicle as my daily driver so strictly my weekend toy. Was hoping I can get any personal experiences/insight between these two tire options, running Venomrex vr501 wheels at 17x9 5.5 bs -6 offset.

BFG ko2 37x12.50r17 D load at 70 lbs
Or
Nitto Trail grappler 37x12.5 D at 84lbs!

was originally set on nitto ridge grapplers or BFG km3’s but they are both on a national back order. These two tire options are what are available to me now. I know the ko2 will be more on road friendly and nitto will provide better traction in off-roading conditions and will probably have twice the side wall strength. Normally I air down to 18-20 psi but I am concerned with the weight difference between the two and wondering if I would notice a huge difference in acceleration and breaking with stock 4.10 gearing. Anybody with insight or experience with owning either of these options would be much appreciated. Thx

68159795-F013-457B-A141-838E7D9A7079.jpeg
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Hello everyone. Merry xmas. First time jeep owner here. I have a 2020 JLUR “recon” edition with the 2.0l e-torque. I’m having the Mopar 2 inch lift installed by the dealer next week. I off-road any chance I can get on the weekends mostly desert/sand trails here in Las Vegas Nevada(rarely mud). Have a work vehicle as my daily driver so strictly my weekend toy. Was hoping I can get any personal experiences/insight between these two tire options, running Venomrex vr501 wheels at 17x9 5.5 bs -6 offset.

Or

was originally set on nitto ridge grapplers or BFG km3’s but they are both on a national back order. These two tire options are what are available to me now. I know the ko2 will be more on road friendly and nitto will provide better traction in off-roading conditions and will probably have twice the side wall strength. Normally I air down to 18-20 psi but I am concerned with the weight difference between the two and wondering if I would notice a huge difference in acceleration and breaking with stock 4.10 gearing. Anybody with insight or experience with owning either of these options would be much appreciated. Thx

Jeep Wrangler JL 37” BFG Ko2 AT vs 37” Nitto trail grappler mt 68159795-F013-457B-A141-838E7D9A7079
Merry Christmas! Have zero experience with the Nitto but I’m running the 37” KO2s and love them from a noise perspective but this is also my daily driver. They performed well the one time I went on light to moderate trails albeit it was a dry day. My 17 x 9 Fuel Beasts are 34 lbs before the tire itself so I think I’m closer to 100 lbs on each wheel. Definitely noticed increase in stopping distance. The 4.10 can handle the increased weight from an acceleration standpoint but I have a lead foot so I re-geared to 5.13s with a 3.6 8-speed. Are there plans for you to re-gear in the future?

OP
OP
Dc7o2

Dc7o2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merry Christmas! Have zero experience with the Nitto but I’m running the 37” KO2s and love them from a noise perspective but this is also my daily driver. They performed well the one time I went on light to moderate trails albeit it was a dry day. My 17 x 9 Fuel Beasts are 34 lbs before the tire itself so I think I’m closer to 100 lbs on each wheel. Definitely noticed increase in stopping distance. The 4.10 can handle the increased weight from an acceleration standpoint but I have a lead foot so I re-geared to 5.13s with a 3.6 8-speed. Are there plans for you to re-gear in the future?
i think eventually once funds allow I will plan to re-gear the jeep. Not decided if 4.88 or 5.13 would be best for me but was hoping the 4.10 with the 8 speed would suffice for the time being.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Merry Christmas 🎄🎁 !!!

May I suggest the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss. That’s what I’m going with.

Do some research on them they run true to size and there are reports of Jeep guys getting 50k+ miles out of a set which is unheard of! Plus they aren’t supposed to be loud on the street and are surprisingly good in the rain... this is what I’ve read at least... and they are insane beasts on the trail!

The Nitto Trail Grappler and M/T Baja Boss are two of the only true size 40’s out there but the Nitto is 103 pounds each vs Baja Boss at 92 pound a each.

The 37x12.50xR17 Baja Boss is 79 pounds but will measure 36.8” tall vs the BFG which once mounted up will only measure about 35.5” tall. So that’s the extra 9 pounds. You actually get the tire size you’re paying for with

$406 each with no tax or shipping at National Tire and Wheel

Enjoy your new tires and I vote BAJA BOSS

Jeep Wrangler JL 37” BFG Ko2 AT vs 37” Nitto trail grappler mt 1D53126C-432A-4060-8D68-46370E673380
Jeep Wrangler JL 37” BFG Ko2 AT vs 37” Nitto trail grappler mt 1785B558-6CEB-4F7A-9651-B39BE38C1CB0
Jeep Wrangler JL 37” BFG Ko2 AT vs 37” Nitto trail grappler mt 8D7111AD-474A-46B1-99A1-98B705C442DF
Jeep Wrangler JL 37” BFG Ko2 AT vs 37” Nitto trail grappler mt FB98F697-8DFA-4AAB-BC90-0102297892B9

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Love my 37" KO2's. They only measured to 35.75" after they were installed though. They did fine on the Rubicon trail this summer. They are also good in mud.

My Jeep is my daily driver, I love driving it so why not.

One thing I took into account is snow and ice. They are good at that too.

I had Goodyear Duratracs on my JK, they were good to but seemed to wear faster.

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
The KO2s are great tires. I’ve had multiple sets of the old generations and new over the last thirty-five years, and I still run them on our JL and our Raptor in the summer, but they are definitely NOT good in mud. Their two deficits are 1) poor mud traction, because the lugs are small and close together, (and the spaces between lugs don’t clear readily), and 2) propensity to hydroplane — for all the same reasons.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Merry Christmas 🎄🎁 !!!

May I suggest the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss. That’s what I’m going with.

Do some research on them they run true to size and there are reports of Jeep guys getting 50k+ miles out of a set which is unheard of! Plus they aren’t supposed to be loud on the street and are surprisingly good in the rain... this is what I’ve read at least... and they are insane beasts on the trail!

The Nitto Trail Grappler and M/T Baja Boss are two of the only true size 40’s out there but the Nitto is 103 pounds each vs Baja Boss at 92 pound a each.

The 37x12.50xR17 Baja Boss is 79 pounds but will measure 36.8” tall vs the BFG which once mounted up will only measure about 35.5” tall. So that’s the extra 9 pounds. You actually get the tire size you’re paying for with

$406 each with no tax or shipping at National Tire and Wheel

Enjoy your new tires and I vote BAJA BOSS
There are no true to size tires when mounted in the Jeep. That’s not they way they are to be measured. Mickeys, Nittos or any other mainstream tire for that matter are anywhere near “true to size”.

They are what they say on the sidewall, but no 37 or 40 measures 37” or 40” tall, when mounted on your vehicle. They are all within 1/4 to 1/2” of each other. Pick the size and tire you want and move on.

If it were my choice, I like the BFG but would probably go to the Nitto next time. I would probably try the Mickeys too. I hear they do well. A friend has the Baja Boss’s on 40s. They measure out about 38.
example. 37-12.50-17 Nitto trail grappler

Jeep Wrangler JL 37” BFG Ko2 AT vs 37” Nitto trail grappler mt 4E70856F-7711-42E0-A848-DC78F693E647

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 37' Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 2018 JLUR (replaced 37" Milestar Pats). With the Pats, it was hard to justify re-gearing as the Jeep still performed well. However, the TG's are quite a bit heavier and I feel the need to re-gear is now moved up the priority list.

The TG's perform very well mud, rocks, etc. They do "ok" on snow packed/slippery roads, better than other MT tires I've had, but obviously not as good as an AT tire. The TG's are louder than some other tires, but it doesn't bother me. I like the tread pattern (which is wearing well), they balanced very well, and the sidewall's are reportedly to be very strong.

The only other tires I considered when replacing the Pats were the Cooper STT Pros and the Geolander MT's. So far, I'm happy with the TG's.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I've had the 37" Baja Bosses for a couple weeks so its really too early to give much of a review. Wont get to do any offroading until next week but I'm sure they will do great. They do have a hum for sure but not bad at all. I think they are quieter then my KM3s. Mounted height is just a hair over 36 1/4". That was measured with no load on the tire. Havent ever had Trail Grapplers but I know they are highly regarded.

I am not a fan of KO2s. I like the Falken Wildpeak AT3W much better. I'm running them on my Ram and have no complaints. If you can wait a couple months, Mickey Thompson is supposed to be coming out with an AT version of the Baja Boss and they looked very good. Only place I was able to find pics was in a SEMA 2020 video.

OP
OP
Dc7o2

Dc7o2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Happy new year everybody! Decided to just go ahead with the nitto trail grapplers. A beast of a tire and probably the heaviest but I figured why not for not being a daily driver.
Jeep Wrangler JL 37” BFG Ko2 AT vs 37” Nitto trail grappler mt 85098C90-12B7-457F-827D-219711EA7DA5
Mopar lift going in next week. Thanks for everyone’s input..

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Cannot speak to the Nitto but I have had two sets of KO2's. The set that came on my rubicon (33") and then went with them for 35". Changed out after 2-3 miles due to very poor mud traction and rock slinging. Switched to the Firestone Destination MT in 35". Love them on the trail. More than adequate for me in rain and snow. Nosiy on road - they are an MT tire - but very manageable for a jeep with a soft top.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Ive had nothing but terrible luck with KO2’s On both my personal vehicle and a vehicle fleet i had in Africa. The tread blocks break down in sand, the belts break with weight, they dont shed debris well. On and on. I refuse to buy another set. That said, most people dont feel the way i do.

ive have better luck with cooper, falken, and general.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
P

Or

Jeep Wrangler JL 37” BFG Ko2 AT vs 37” Nitto trail grappler mt 85098C90-12B7-457F-827D-219711EA7DA5
tob too late but I have 35” ridge grapplers at 76lbs I feel them for sure... I am switching to 37” ko2 because even as a taller tire they are like 8lbs lighter

Living Good 357

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, 07 Dodge Cummins, 900 HP 72 Nova
I have the 37' Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 2018 JLUR (replaced 37" Milestar Pats). With the Pats, it was hard to justify re-gearing as the Jeep still performed well. However, the TG's are quite a bit heavier and I feel the need to re-gear is now moved up the priority list.

The TG's perform very well mud, rocks, etc. They do "ok" on snow packed/slippery roads, better than other MT tires I've had, but obviously not as good as an AT tire. The TG's are louder than some other tires, but it doesn't bother me. I like the tread pattern (which is wearing well), they balanced very well, and the sidewall's are reportedly to be very strong.

The only other tires I considered when replacing the Pats were the Cooper STT Pros and the Geolander MT's. So far, I'm happy with the TG's.
I wonder if the Nitto Trail Grabbers are heavier because they're contact patches are actually wider then the other tires??

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the Nitto Trail Grabbers are heavier because they're contact patches are actually wider then the other tires??
I'm not sure and I'm not at home to measure the contact patch. From what I've read and seen, their sidewalls are thicker than most, which will definitely contribute to them being heavier.
Sponsored