Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise disables itself after stopping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 WK CRD, 1990 YJ, 1978 911SC, 2002 Land Cruiser, 2016 BMW i3
I got a JLURD (diesel) with an auto this time around and I noticed that the adaptive cruise control will bring me to a stop, but where other adaptive cruise controls will hold you there (honda, mercedes, jaguar, tesla, bmw) and make you hit resume when traffic resumes, the system on my jeep just disengages with a subtle beep then starts idling forward. Is this the behavior for all the wranglers or is it just my diesel? Personally I find it dangerous - especially since you can't actually feel the jeep start to idle forward. Now I know that's how it acts so I know to pay attention but the first few trips out were a little alarming when I was used to being able to take my eyes off the road for a second to check the phone, radio, whatever in my other cars.
Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I got a JLURD (diesel) with an auto this time around and I noticed that the adaptive cruise control will bring me to a stop, but where other adaptive cruise controls will hold you there (honda, mercedes, jaguar, tesla, bmw) and make you hit resume when traffic resumes, the system on my jeep just disengages with a subtle beep then starts idling forward. Is this the behavior for all the wranglers or is it just my diesel? Personally I find it dangerous - especially since you can't actually feel the jeep start to idle forward. Now I know that's how it acts so I know to pay attention but the first few trips out were a little alarming when I was used to being able to take my eyes off the road for a second to check the phone, radio, whatever in my other cars.
Your adaptive cruise control is working as designed. Mine does the same thing. I have the 2 L Turbo with E torque.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your adaptive cruise control is working as designed. Mine does the same thing. I have the 2 L Turbo with E torque.
Man... weird. That will 100% result in a few rear end taps.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Same for 2020 with 3.6.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Man... weird. That will 100% result in a few rear end taps.
Well, maybe after the third or fourth one you'll learn better. ;)

(Just kidding you.)

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Y’all have a lot more faith in modern gizmos than I do.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With so many people moving from the cities to the suburbs and commuting, its either have faith or lose your sanity sitting in traffic. When I moved from Boston to the burbs ACC was an absolute must. Looks like the benz will still be my commuter with this, what I consider to be a flaw.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Same here. I chose to get my JLUR with all the bells and whistles except for the ACC. I feel like technology is making us more and more reliant on electronics.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Wrangler has “ACC w/ Stop”
Meaning it will slow follow & stop, then disengage after a few seconds. It’s marked as such right on the window sticker

“ACC w/ Stop & Go” Is when the vehicle will start following again after coming to a stop

EC9E9940-030F-4917-A7AE-A431514E0F85.png

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It seems normal to me. Who doesn’t hold their foot on the brake at a stop sign or light in an automatic transmission vehicle?

Sponsored

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler has “ACC w/ Stop”
Meaning it will slow follow & stop, then disengage after a few seconds. It’s marked as such right on the window sticker

“ACC w/ Stop & Go” Is when the vehicle will start following again after coming to a stop

Jeep Wrangler JL Adaptive Cruise disables itself after stopping... EC9E9940-030F-4917-A7AE-A431514E0F85
I'm a pretty bright guy, and I definitely did not infer that ACC with stop means it will stop then start idling forward a few seconds later from that line item.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems normal to me. Who doesn’t hold their foot on the brake at a stop sign or light in an automatic transmission vehicle?
People that use adaptive cruise control. With adaptive cruise control you didn't have your foot on the brake to begin with, the car stopped for you. Like I said - honda, mercedes, bmw, tesla, jaguar will all hold the car there for you. I am sure there are others, those are just the ones I have used.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
This is how adaptive cruise systems in vehicles without an electronic parking brake operate. They can use the normal brakes to slow and stop a vehicle, but they won't hold it for more than a few seconds at a stop. Systems with an electronic parking brake use the parking brake to hold at a stop indefinitely.

My wife's Forester has a similar system (Eyesight) and it makes audible beeps and an alert in the gauge cluster before it releases the brakes and allows the vehicle to move forward.

Y'all need to read your owner's manuals, especially if you're using these complex safety systems.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
People that use adaptive cruise control. With adaptive cruise control you didn't have your foot on the brake to begin with, the car stopped for you. Like I said - honda, mercedes, bmw, tesla, jaguar will all hold the car there for you. I am sure there are others, those are just the ones I have used.
I use it all the time. I seldom allow it to bring me to a full stop. And when I anticipate that I will be making a full stop I use the brakes, not the ACC to do that. Adaptive cruise control is not autonomous vehicle control and I don’t expect it to function as such. But you and I have different driving styles clearly. Just know that it’s not malfunctioning, that’s how it is supposed to work in the Jeep. As noted previously, it’s not stop and go, it only brings you to a full stop as an emergency safety measure to a pita collision with the vehicle in front when you’re allowing it to control speed rather than doing it manually. It’s not designed for stop and go traffic.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
This is how adaptive cruise systems in vehicles without an electronic parking brake operate. They can use the normal brakes to slow and stop a vehicle, but they won't hold it for more than a few seconds at a stop. Systems with an electronic parking brake use the parking brake to hold at a stop indefinitely.

My wife's Forester has a similar system (Eyesight) and it makes audible beeps and an alert in the gauge cluster before it releases the brakes and allows the vehicle to move forward.

Y'all need to read your owner's manuals, especially if you're using these complex safety systems.
Or you can get a Jeep without these safety systems. I prefer it that way as it prevents me from doing dumb things like pick up my phone while driving.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.