First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Come one Ken, you’re doing the same thing! Curiosity is all. If I was buying some new tires it wouldn’t be these.
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
"If" this works out that will be an amazing deal for everyone.

As someone who manages cyber security for a large global bank and works with multiple government and private industries on training etc. to help protect their employees against things like this, I have a feeling this is going to be less than ideal. Knowing how these merchant connections work for 3rd party sellers etc, you are opening yourself up to a very likely chance of identity theft etc. Before your card information is sent to the 3rd party, all of your personal and order information is sent. that would include your name, shipping address, billing address, phone number, email address etc. that alone would be enough to start putting together a profile. social engineering 101. then if they get a valid card number and cvv by getting a bogus shipping label created they can take it even further.

I hope I am wrong about this, and good luck to all.

Last edited:

Duluth Diesel

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy’s Sport
Well I don’t know what we’re getting shipped to us with this order. That remains to be seen. But I did have an online chat with WalMart Customer Care about this seller. They say that it is a legit seller (still doesn’t mean I won’t get R/C tires or sage bundles and incense). But they also confirmed that the third party seller does not receive credit card information. That info is retained by Walmart supposedly. So hopefully this doesn’t devolve into a scam disaster. Fingers crossed!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It's comical that so many believe these major retailers send card info to their third party sellers. That's not how e-commerce is done. That's why everything you buy through Walmart is billed through Walmart. Everything you buy through Amazon is billed through Amazon. A third party seller taking people's information would be a liability they'd never accept.

Sponsored

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Come one Ken, you’re doing the same thing! Curiosity is all. If I was buying some new tires it wouldn’t be these.
Look Joe! I get it!!! I would have jumped on the bandwagon too!

Here's the proof of the pudding. White Castle "accidentally" priced their lovely sliders at 10 cents each so in my overexcitement of their "mispriced" I bought a bookoo of them (fries included ah why not) and I ate them all in one sitting while playing video game.

I was in joy!!! White Castle has never been priced at such SUCH LOW price before! I seized the day. I bought as much as I could!! I ate them all. Look at the photo below (I really took the photo)

Jeep Wrangler JL Walmart Toyo open country m/t price mistake 919238_10151541284642272_2118993402_o

And then I could not go to the bathroom for five days!! I was constipated as heck! Panicked, I was about to checked myself into ER when the inevitable happen (thankfully) - and then I learn that people did not call White Castle sliders "rectum wrecker" for nothing.

Since then I swore off White Castle - yes even when they "mispriced" it at ten cents. Never again!

Now if McDonalds Double Quarter Pounder were mispriced at 10 cents each.....

Well the true story is that I always wanted to eat a crate box - and I did that - and I was sick and the second part of the story about being constipated and swearing off WC was real!

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport

As someone who manages cyber security for a large global bank and works with multiple government and private industries on training etc. to help protect their employees against things like this, I have a feeling this is going to be less than ideal. Knowing how these merchant connections work for 3rd party sellers etc, you are opening yourself up to a very likely chance of identity theft etc. Before your card information is sent to the 3rd party, all of your personal and order information is sent. that would include your name, shipping address, billing address, phone number, email address etc. that alone would be enough to start putting together a profile. social engineering 101. then if they get a valid card number and cvv by getting a bogus shipping label created they can take it even further.

Doesn’t payment information go to walmart? In order for them to take the cu they require am I wrong to think that the payment I made didn’t go to Walmart but rather the third party? I called the bank and then confirmed the payment was made out to Walmart them selves. Just an honest question, I am just a Dude from michigan so what do I know LOL

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Doesn’t payment information go to walmart? In order for them to take the cu they require am I wrong to think that the payment I made didn’t go to Walmart but rather the third party? I called the bank and then confirmed the payment was made out to Walmart them selves. Just an honest question, I am just a Dude from michigan so what do I know LOL
Your payment goes to Walmart, they pay the 3rd party. No major retailer would hand out credit card info, the liability would be far too high.

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Your payment goes to Walmart, they pay the 3rd party. No major retailer would hand out credit card info, the liability would be far too high.
Right, I was just curious because he it Sounds like he is knowledgable, was curious to hear more into how it works but I did think that like Amazon, third parties wouldnt receive payment info as it carries liability on its back. An impressive career with high accomplishments in tech. so I was just interested to hear a professional perspective.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Payment information as far as "PCI" data (Credit Card number / CVV will most likely be retained by walmart. However, they have to send your other info to the 3rd party. People who do social engineering do not ask for credit card info, they want all your other info to use that for other fraud. A single card is of limited use, your actual information can be used over and over on a much larger scale. Also, dont assume that being "billed" by walmart means they keep your info. More than likely a 3rd party does all this stuff for Walmart as well. For example, you can get a home depot credit card, buy from a 3rd party from homedepot.com. in that case the actual processing is done by a behind the sceanes bank (but on your credit card bill it shows home depot). In thst case yoir personal info (address, name, phone number, email address, billing address etc.) Is sent to Home depot, the servicing company doing the actual card processing, and the 3rd party at least.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Actually your payment goes to 1 3rd party to process (as do ALL card transactions) who then sends the alert to the main retailer that it was cleared, who then sends the ok to the 3rd party seller. And that is a simplified scenario, in some cases amny more steps. I perform and manage teams who perform 3rd party security reviews on SaaS vendors and corporations like walmart who handle finiancial information globally. Behind the sceanes it is a mess. Dont ever assume a card transaction is equal to cash where you pay a company for a product and that is as far as your information goes.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
That is not correct. Retailers dont actually do anything, all credit card payments go through clearinghouses. Most retailers dont connect to the directly, they use a 3rd party to do that. Liability is also a tricky subject with card use and retailers due to how the actual processing happens. Walmart uses Chase for their card processing. Chase uses 3rd parties of their own. It goes on and on.

I hope that this is legit and people get a hell of a deal. I personally would not attempt due to my personal information being sent to a 3rd party like this.

As an fyi, Amazon actually had a major issue with 3rd parties doing this to get people's personal information (address, phone, email, name). This is a common way to get large amounts of information from people.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S

sorry, not trying to be a douche, but it's already been stated, several times, that at NO TIME does the seller get our billing information: wally forwards the money for the order to the seller AFTER the item has been ordered

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
sorry, not trying to be a douche, but it's already been stated, several times, that at NO TIME does the seller get our billing information: wally forwards the money for the order to the seller AFTER the item has been ordered
So a 3rd party can ship you a product without having any of your information? And walmart will not send the 3rd party payment until it ships? Think about this process? I don't care what help desk person you spoke with, your information is sent to a 3rd party. They may not get your actual card number and or cvv, but they do get your information. Again, your card number is less valuable than your personal information. A card can be cancelled, your actual information cant.

Im done woth this thread, but i know this area forwards and backwards, including how Walmart works.
Sponsored