Sponsored

8.4" Infotainment or Stinger 10" head unit upgrade?

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Only had my 2021 Sport Altitude for three weeks & I'm pretty disappointed in the 7"screen size. I knew I would be as my last daily driver had a larger screen than my new JL. I'm older with below average eye sight. To be fair when I ordered the new Wrangler in July dealer claimed only way to get the 8.4" was with the "fun & sun" package that included the opening top- that I did not want so I settled for the standard 7". I've since noticed that the larger screen can now be ordered by itself- too late for me. Regardless, I have a bid from two different install places, similarly priced for either the 10" Stinger or the 8.4" (essentially OE) head unit. 10" is better than 8.4" but I worry about reliability with the non OE part. Anyone have any pearls to share on which way to go I would appreciate it. Thanks
Sponsored

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
Only had my 2021 Sport Altitude for three weeks & I'm pretty disappointed in the 7"screen size. I knew I would be as my last daily driver had a larger screen than my new JL. I'm older with below average eye sight. To be fair when I ordered the new Wrangler in July dealer claimed only way to get the 8.4" was with the "fun & sun" package that included the opening top- that I did not want so I settled for the standard 7". I've since noticed that the larger screen can now be ordered by itself- too late for me. Regardless, I have a bid from two different install places, similarly priced for either the 10" Stinger or the 8.4" (essentially OE) head unit. 10" is better than 8.4" but I worry about reliability with the non OE part. Anyone have any pearls to share on which way to go I would appreciate it. Thanks
I installed the stinger Heigh-10 and can honestly say I really like it. It fit's the dash like a glove and am glad I upgraded to it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 8.4" Infotainment or Stinger 10" head unit upgrade? tempImagevpghOq

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I installed the stinger Heigh-10 and can honestly say I really like it. It fit's the dash like a glove and am glad I upgraded to it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 8.4" Infotainment or Stinger 10" head unit upgrade? tempImagevpghOq
Don't know why image loaded upside down

OP
OP
Twojayhawks

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Thanks Dave. How long have you had it? Also did you do the install or have a shop do it?

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Dave. How long have you had it? Also did you do the install or have a shop do it?
I installed it myself but it was a pita tight space for all the wires to be stuffed into. It’s been installed for about 3 weeks best thing I’ve done so far.

Sponsored

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
+1 for the Stinger HEIGH10.

Just from what I've personally dealt with (7") and read here on the forums, the uConnect has never been perfect for anyone, just.... alright. With the handful of issues that never get fixed or dealers just throwing their hands up in the air, that made the decision you're currently back and forth about a very easy one for me. And it seems with the new uConnect5 coming out next year for the 2021s, focus might be put there.

Keep in mind, you're going to lose a handful of things that used the factory radio as a brain (namely a few data points on the tech gauge cluster, shortcuts with dash button presses) but, you'll be gaining so much more.

Good luck! I know of at least half a dozen of us here on the forums that are happy with the upgrade, and more who might not be as vocal about it.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Honestly I have no experience with the stinger, but get the stinger. I've had 4 different Uconnect vehicles over the last decade, and used hundreds of rentals with uconnect. They are trash, all of them. Currently have the 7" in my JL, and its the one thing I don't like about the vehicle. They are slow, glitchy, problematic, and have limited function. 1 out of 10 times I have to unplug and replug my phone for the android auto to detect. Sound settings are beyond abysmal. I'd honestly throw in a cheap pioneer single din non touch screen over this unit. I personally would never consider paying money to keep uconnect.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
Had mine about a month, replaced the 7", self installed. Ain't going back! I have to make a precision approach backing into the garage, so the much larger view of the back up cam is very much appreciated.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
The 10" Stinger looks really nice! This is on my list.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
We’ve had uConnect in the Jeep, our Toyota we used to have and now we have it in our GMC Yukon and it’s sucked in all (3) vehicles.

It’s cheap so I assume that’s why the car manufacturers continue to use it. They can advertise the screen sizes which is appealing to consumers but what I learned is that the system functionality is more important to me.

That said, if this system is better AND had a larger screen that’s a no brainer win/win.

OP
OP
Twojayhawks

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Others have done the install themselves. I, however paid the pros at Santa Fe Auto Sound in my neck of the woods. The install was very fairly priced and the price of the unit through them was the same as online.