Sponsored

(for those living in snow only): how often do you take your rig to the car wash in the winter?

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Got our first significant snow here on Long Island this week (4 to 8 inches depending on where you live here). They absolutely love using snow salt in NYC and Long Island!

Needless to say, the Jeep is dirty due to all that salt. I was going to take it in to the car wash and get some cleaning done. Was especially going to get the underbody sprayed with water as I am a stickler when it comes to under carriage rust (I spray the underbody with cans of Fluid Film twice a year). Depending on how much snow we get this season, the Car Wash may become a monthly ritual for me and those folks might as well know me by name this winter.

For our other snow birds out there, how often do you take your Jeep to the Car Wash every Winter? Am I over doing it by making this a monthly thing? In the Summer, I take her to the car wash after every trip where she goes wheeling on the beach just to wash off the sand. That is usually once or twice the whole summer.
Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
You can take it as often as you like but keep in mind that you may find yourself with frozen doors seals the next day....

I will wash mine once or twice during the winter but I will do it with mild days following or I will wipe down the door seals to minimize the potential for damaging them.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Usually once every 2 weeks or a month. Depends when things clear out or dry up. If it's completely slushy or actively snowing, I'll hold off.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I pay a monthly fee and wash the Jeep a couple times a week. If I go twice in a month it is no different than paying the monthly fee.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I take mine after they salt the roads and wait a few days until the roads are mostly dry. If we don't get much snow that could mean over a month between washes during the winter.

I just bought a spa club membership for my wife's Recon for Christmas. She will be able to take it to the touchless wash as often as she wants for the next year for free, every day, if she so desires. They do a pretty good job there. Simonize wax after the wash and wipe down any residual water spots, tire shine, etc. Normally, it's a $37 service.

Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
When I lived in upstate NY I paid a monthly fee and was able to get the undercarriage only spray. I did it a few times a week.

The other option is to get an attachment for a pressure washer that will spray out the undercarriage for you. You can find some on Amazon and Home Depot also sells a Ryobi version. I have one from Amazon and the pressure is ok, would probably work great for salt and dirt but the pressure is a bit low for getting caked on mud

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
My Jeep doesn't get washed until I turn the outside water back on in the spring.

I've lived in the northeast most of my life and in New England for the past 25+ years. I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a vehicle to the car wash in the winter.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Once a week. I have so many coats of synthetic sealant on my Rubi from the summer I simply go to the car wash and pressure wash with the wax setting. The one I go to heats the water so it does a great job. I had the entire undercarriage rustproofed at the dealer so I say.. Bring on the SNOW!!!!

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I prefer to do it myself but when it is too cold, I make the trip to the car wash. I have owned Jeep’s many years and like you, in PA they use enough salt. I have seen lots of old rusted Jeep frames. At a minimum, I would go and just spray the undercarriage to get the salt off. I personally use a touch less car wash with an undercarriage spray. It doesn’t totally get the Jeep clean, but gets enough road salt off.
The weather really dictates when to have it done but from last weeks snow, I will wash this week. The kids love these special trips too, and with lockdowns right now, anything to get out is worth the few bucks!

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Honestly I don't in the winter. The moment you drive back out onto the road you're kicking salt back up into your undercarriage if that's what you're worried about.

I wash at the first sign of spring, the way nature intended (lol)

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Go through the touchless on a regular basis, the better ones have dryers that help keep the frozen doors at bay. Reminds me, need to do that today.

joker_114th

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
This

My Jeep doesn't get washed until I turn the outside water back on in the spring.

I've lived in the northeast most of my life and in New England for the past 25+ years. I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a vehicle to the car wash in the winter.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
I have a pressure washer at home so if I just want to get the salt off I just spray it down real quick. When it warms up a little I’ll do a full wash. Wife has unlimited membership for her grand Cherokee though so at least once a week on that one