Sponsored

Winching Backwards

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
I ran across a very cool video on Youtube where this guy shows how to winch backwards with a front mounted winch, using either 3 or 4 snatch blocks. I've seen the other technique that involves taking your winch line on a 180 degree bend out of the fairlead and under the vehicle, but this looks like it would be quite a bit less damaging than that method. I've never seen anyone do this before.

Sponsored

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
This really confuses my simpleton brain. Not the connections, but how it works.

Sometimes I amaze myself at how smart I am and then sometimes I try to get out of my Jeep with my seat belt on.

Last edited:

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
The benefit is the multiplied effective pulling force using the snatch blocks.

OP
OP
Abend

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
This really confuses my simpleton brain. Not the connections, but how it works.

Sometimes I amaze myself at how smart I am and then sometimes I try to get out of my Jeep with seat belt on.
Yeah, it's definitely counterintuitive. I don't know how practical it is, given that ~80% of the force of the winch is wasted on it fighting against itself and I also don't know anyone who runs around with 4 snatch blocks unless they're on a recovery team, but I thought it was cool to see, especially with him actually measuring the forces involved.

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Yeah, it's definitely counterintuitive. I don't know how practical it is, given that ~80% of the force of the winch is wasted on it fighting against itself and I also don't know anyone who runs around with 4 snatch blocks unless they're on a recovery team, but I thought it was cool to see, especially with him actually measuring the forces involved.

I agree. If you had one anchor point in the front, why not just winch yourself forward?

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This is cool. In theory. But for it to actually work in the real world, you need a really long winch line, a bunch of snatch blocks, and objects to use as anchor points placed in pretty much the exact correct positions. Which is extremely unlikely to happen.

As mentioned earlier, in the real world it’s probably more likely that you’d just winch forward, reposition, and back out of whatever spot you’re in than use this method. But it’s good to know that it could work, albeit awkwardly.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I've had to winch myself backwards before using two snatch blocks and the standard 100' line that came with my winch. Always good to have knowledge and options.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Many years ago, I had to winch sideways to keep from sliding off an off-camber trail that was muddy. I was hunting, steel cable winch, no snatch blocks and straps. It was either kill a couple aspens or loose the truck. The aspens lost.
Sponsored