Sponsored

Some non Jeepers seriously think they are invincible in a Snow Storm when in 4WD or AWD

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Was dropping my mom off at work early morning today at around 5:30 here on Long Island. It was blinding Snow, Sleet with significant ground accumulations, a biting wind and even worst wind chills. On top of that it is still fully dark out.

I get on the single lane road that goes straight to her work place. The Road is coated in a thick layer of Snow with a very thin layer of Sleet underneath. Speed Limit is 40MPH (65 kmph for my fellow non American or non British Jeepers). I put my JLUR in 4Hi and take it easy going at about 30 to 35MPH (50 to about 55kmph). Besides me, there are some Pickup Trucks who are doing the same speed as me (a Tacoma, a 1500, a Titan and a Jeep Gladiator). Usually we can go about 50MPH on that road (80 kmph).

While I am driving, this little prick in a brand new Audi A4 AWD station wagon is rapidly closing the gap behind me and then starts tail gating in blinding snow! He had the gall to start flickering his beams at me and asking me to speed up. When the road opened up and became a two lane, he cuts me and two Pickup Trucks off while honking his horn. Just near my mom's work place, the douche ends up spinning out of control and is stuck in a snow bank. I drop my mom off and then go back just five minutes later The guy is out there waiting for someone to tow him out.

While I wanted to pull down my window and flip him off, I felt bad and stopped; as did a fella in a JKU Sahara who looked like a gentleman in his early to mid 50s. The JKU Sahara owner had a tow rope on him and the two of us helped get the guy out of the snow bank. It had become obvious to us that the poor soul has no idea how to even hook up a tow rope. So I put helped put the Rope on the Audi while the JKU Sahara owner connected to his Jeep and got him out. The guy looked just extremely embarrassed as he know I am same JLU Rubicon owner he had cut off just some minutes ago. Afterwards I called him out for cutting me off in front of the JKU Sahara owner; who begrudgingly told him that having an AWD in a Luxury German Car does not make you invincible. He told him that if Jeeps and heavier vehicles are taking it easy, he always fails to understand why people in their Audis or BMWs or AWD Nissans think they are God.

Don't know about others but I have also experienced the same. Our fellow Jeepers and many Pickup Truck drivers tend to still take it very easy in the Snow as we know what can happen. It is always that one idiot in a BWM or Mercedes or Audi or Lexus that thinks they are God in the Snow with their computer controlled AWD system. This is despite a Jeep or a Pickup Truck being a lot more capable in inclement weather versus these AWD cars. Wonder when these folks will learn???

Sidenote: The JLU Factory LED Headlamps are an absolute disaster in the Snow as there is significant reflection from the surface. Hope I get used to that over time. Otherwise, I love my Jeep!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Think Jeremy Clarkson has a few opinions about Audi drivers...

Jeep Wrangler JL Some non Jeepers seriously think they are invincible in a Snow Storm when in 4WD or AWD A Drivers

Audi has 4 pricing structures for parts.
Example that I have first had knowledge about (son broke a friends A6 headlight)

Headlight Dealer Cost: $2100
Headlight Whole Sale Cost: $2400
Headlight Retail Cost: $3100
Headlight "Matrixed Up" Cost: $3400 (i.e., the price they charge you at the dealership).

Never going to buy and Audi and support their ridiculous pricing structure.

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think Jeremy Clarkson has a few opinions about Audi drivers...

Jeep Wrangler JL Some non Jeepers seriously think they are invincible in a Snow Storm when in 4WD or AWD A Drivers

Audi has 4 pricing structures for parts.
Example that I have first had knowledge about (son broke a friends A6 headlight)

Headlight Dealer Cost: $2100
Headlight Whole Sale Cost: $2400
Headlight Retail Cost: $3100
Headlight "Matrixed Up" Cost: $3400 (i.e., the price they charge you at the dealership).

Never going to buy and Audi and support their ridiculous pricing structure.
i did not know what to do with him, lol. I felt bad for him but also wanted to laugh at him the same time.

ERP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla P85D, BMW M4 Convertible, Lotus Elise Track Car, 20' JLUR
Occupation
New Product & Automation Engineer
Did you look at what tires he had on his Audi?
Running dedicated snow tires is more important than having AWD.
A strong traction control system is great at giving the driver overconfidence.
I prefer driving without traction control. That way I can feel the moment a tire begins to slip.

I will say that my wife's AWD Tesla with snow tires is an absolute boss in the snow. Provided its not too deep, her Tesla is better in the snow than my Jeep.

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you look at what tires he had on his Audi?
Running dedicated snow tires is more important than having AWD.

I will say that my wife's AWD Tesla with snow tires is an absolute boss in the snow. Provided its not too deep, her Tesla is better in the snow than my Jeep.
I did not notice. Was too busy thinking how can somebody be so clueless that they don't even know what a tow hook is for.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
The funny part is that an AWD car is only very slightly more capable than an equivalent FWD car. Really the only difference is that if you get stopped on a hill and need to get started again, the FWD car might be stuck whereas the AWD car should be ok. Out on a snow-covered but plowed road where you can get some speed, there is zero difference between AWD and FWD on the same car. In fact, that AWD system is probably functioning in FWD mode at that point anyway.

My JLU and Tahoe can do in 2WD what those "Audi drivers" think they need AWD to do. Get to where I need 4WD, and that Audi ain't movin.

Shame they insist on learning that the hard way.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Airbags and seatbelts let bad drivers live to reproduce. Darwin was onto something....
My dad always said..... “It’s 4 wheel drive not 4 wheel stop!” Or as I like to say.... “it’s 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel slide unless you know what your doing”. In other words..... SLOW THE CR&P DOWN!!!!

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome story, I can only imagine the look on his face when you and the other Jeep owner told him what's up. They'll never learn, we have the same breed here in Canada where you'd think last year's spin out would still be in their mind but no, they think AWD is somehow going to make them turn and stop so much better that they don't have to drive with common sense. Good on you for helping the guy out! Just one of the things that make the Jeep community so amazing, the wheeling community in general really

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Awesome story, I can only imagine the look on his face when you and the other Jeep owner told him what's up. They'll never learn, we have the same breed here in Canada where you'd think last year's spin out would still be in their mind but no, they think AWD is somehow going to make them turn and stop so much better that they don't have to drive with common sense. Good on you for helping the guy out! Just one of the things that make the Jeep community so amazing, the wheeling community in general really
JBrown.... BTW, I have been through London many times. I visit Stratford frequently. Well I did before COVID that is. Beautiful area!!!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In general I have noticed that Jeepers tend to be safer drivers on the road versus many others. Now off the road.....all bets are off!

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dad always said..... “It’s 4 wheel drive not 4 wheel stop!” Or as I like to say.... “it’s 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel slide unless you know what your doing”. In other words..... SLOW THE CR&P DOWN!!!!
Wonder if his Suspension or something else got damaged when he spun out. Pretty sure his Alignment will be out of wack after that one. Hope no other damage as Audi dealers are notorious for ripping their customers off with repairs. Check out what @Creeker posted: $3400 to replace a headlamp assembly? Seriously, Audi?

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
JBrown.... BTW, I have been through London many times. I visit Stratford frequently. Well I did before COVID that is. Beautiful area!!!!!
Nice! Never really been your way but we'll be exploring more of the east coast and Midwest, hitting some off road parks when the border opens. After Covid give me a shout when you're up here we'll go wheeling or something! It's nice around here for sure, if you ever go up north just a couple hours it's absolutely breathtaking, completely different geography

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Similar thing happened to me on my LSD sport, 2 door rubicon suspension. But in this case it was a snowplow and a pickup truck. I was in mammoth, in the middle of a wet snowstorm. Windy ass road, the road was covered in a solid sheet of ice. I had my oem A/T tires, no chains. We were sliding extremely easy under 20 mph, so I got out and drop the tire pressure considerably and obviously turned 4HI. The high center of gravity, and the short wheelbase makes the 2 door wrangler perhaps one of the worst vehicle I've driven in winter conditions. Great traction, can't really get stuck, but at speeds, stability is horrendous.

I lived 10 years in Vermont and had a half an hour commute to work on rural roads, drove on blizzars, NEVER had an accident. I know WHAT is safe and what isnt, and it is all about speed. You can feel what speed you can drive at based on the vehicle. It makes 100% sense on a light 2 door Wrangler, on a windy icy road, it will be extremely unstable.

Anyway, we were driving 20~25. And I had a snowplow tailgating me badly, and of course I wanted to let the snowplow pass for the guy to do his job! but I had to wait until I could find a safe area to slow down and stop, braking abruptly is the worst thing!. Anyway, I start slowing down slowly and turn my signal to get on the side of the road and let him pass, he accelerates and passes me on the right, starts sliding all over the road and almost falls through a f!king cliff!. His buddy behind, on a pickup truck has the balls to stop next to me and tell me I am driving very dangerously.... People these days.... I wish everyone drove slower on snow.