Parking Sensors - FCA Software issue

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Issue: When putting the Jeep in reverse, the center-left and far-left sensors would either trigger a phantom proximity warning, or the dash would indicate the sensors are non-functional and advise that they may need cleaning (or some message like this).

I'm getting ready to replace the rear stock plastic bumper with a Fishbone fabricated steel bumper. But before I did that, I wanted to get the Jeep in to the dealership to get the sensors looked at and either repaired, replaced or just get on record before I do.

I've seen another post about the rear parking sensor when you put on oversized tires. But, mine are stock Rubicon's and the spare fit on the stock spare tire mount just fine, and it's sitting above the bumper. I honestly don't remember if the sensor acted up prior to putting on the K02's and the Rubicon lift. The last thing the dealership said to me was that there was a Star case and that Chrysler is working on a software fix to resolve it. Anyone else come up with an alternate solution besides turning the sensors off altogether?
Sponsored

cchambers74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Jeff, I'm having the exact same issue, just hopped on here to see if I was alone, did you get any resolve to this, or did the dealer have any insight, I keep getting the "clean the sensor" yada yada warning..

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Issue: When putting the Jeep in reverse, the center-left and far-left sensors would either trigger a phantom proximity warning, or the dash would indicate the sensors are non-functional and advise that they may need cleaning (or some message like this).

I'm getting ready to replace the rear stock plastic bumper with a Fishbone fabricated steel bumper. But before I did that, I wanted to get the Jeep in to the dealership to get the sensors looked at and either repaired, replaced or just get on record before I do.

I've seen another post about the rear parking sensor when you put on oversized tires. But, mine are stock Rubicon's and the spare fit on the stock spare tire mount just fine, and it's sitting above the bumper. I honestly don't remember if the sensor acted up prior to putting on the K02's and the Rubicon lift. The last thing the dealership said to me was that there was a Star case and that Chrysler is working on a software fix to resolve it. Anyone else come up with an alternate solution besides turning the sensors off altogether?
Some guys have put little black adhesive felt pads on the malfunctioning sensors to trick them. Donā€™t know if that works.

BEEBOB

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ECODIESEL Sport S
Occupation
Nuclear I&C
Im having this problem also, hope they get it solved soon.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude

Sponsored

cchambers74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I just went through this and wrote all about it in my rear bumper install.

I solved it finally. Working perfect for a week now.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...tybilt-x20-gen-comp.60778/page-3#post-1330707

Basically it was 2 things - the shackles I had hung on the bumper - and then the angle of the bumper needed to be adjust to a sweet spot so it was not detecting the spare wheel, or the ground.

Perfect will give this a whirl, what size wheels are you running, also side note I'm in Ferndale, WA so thanks neighbor, I will say it been strange driving on the freeway and not seeing any BC plates around..

OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input and glad there's some kind of resolution here. I'm resolved as well but I can only give credit to my off-road guy who does most of my heavy lifting. I'm heading over there this afternoon and will talk to him on what he did installing the Fishbone rear bumper. Whatever he did, the problem is gone. I'll post the cliff notes in this thread tonight.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perfect will give this a whirl, what size wheels are you running, also side note I'm in Ferndale, WA so thanks neighbor, I will say it been strange driving on the freeway and not seeing any BC plates around..
I have the stock 33's - and it still picks that up if angled too high.

And it's been crazy not being able to go to Washington to get all my packages I usually have delivered there :CWL:

OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just back from the off-road shop and found that they had to epoxy the sensors to the bumper. I guess they got slightly angled away from the spare, but I think also the D-rings may also play a role. The errors it was previously throwing involved the right and center-right sensor. That far-right sensor canā€™t see the spare. Its angled away to the side like the other one. In any event, itā€™s done!

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just back from the off-road shop and found that they had to epoxy the sensors to the bumper. I guess they got slightly angled away from the spare, but I think also the D-rings may also play a role. The errors it was previously throwing involved the right and center-right sensor. That far-right sensor canā€™t see the spare. Its angled away to the side like the other one. In any event, itā€™s done!
That was what surprised me the most was the minimal margin for error in their angle..

Glad it's fixed!

Sponsored

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have this issue after putting on a BFG 35" spare on the stock carrier with a RedRock 4x4 HD Tailgate Reinforcement Panel (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL). Not at all sure why the placement matters. Had the valve stem at 11 o'clock and weights at 6, spun clockwise so stem was 1 o'clock and weights at 8 and it stopped. BUT ... this is not a camera thing, Park-Sense is driven by the sensors in the bumper not what you see in the camera.

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I intermittently had this issue on my 2020 after I installed larger tires. Except that it kept bringing up an error message to clean the sensor. On Monday, I picked up my 2021 JLRUD and drove it to Discount Tire the following morning to have new wheels and tires installed. This time, the sensors were showing red and sounding the backup alarm. After talking to the dealer and researching this issue, I have found several fixes for this problem that seems to work. First, try rotating the tire weights and tire pressure monitor sensor away from the backup sensors. If that doesnā€™t work, provided you have stock Jeep without the Mopar tailgate reinforcement, remove the spacers between the tire carrier and the body of the Jeep. This simply moves the tire closer to the tailgate and, hopefully, outside the view of the sensor. If that doesnā€™t work, you can remove the bumper and rotate the sensor housings so that the sensors face away from the rear tire. This last alternative can be tricky because the sensors can easily be damaged and theyā€™re expensive to replace. To make this work, you may have to swap the outer retainer clips moving the right one to the left side and vise versa. Iā€™m currently waiting on a new Ace rear bumper before I alter the position of my sensors. The Ace bumper appears to have the sensors in a slightly different position. I hope this will cure the problem. Otherwise, Iā€™ll change the angle of the sensor housings. Iā€™ll post an update once I fix the problem.

cchambers74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I intermittently had this issue on my 2020 after I installed larger tires. Except that it kept bringing up an error message to clean the sensor. On Monday, I picked up my 2021 JLRUD and drove it to Discount Tire the following morning to have new wheels and tires installed. This time, the sensors were showing red and sounding the backup alarm. After talking to the dealer and researching this issue, I have found several fixes for this problem that seems to work. First, try rotating the tire weights and tire pressure monitor sensor away from the backup sensors. If that doesnā€™t work, provided you have stock Jeep without the Mopar tailgate reinforcement, remove the spacers between the tire carrier and the body of the Jeep. This simply moves the tire closer to the tailgate and, hopefully, outside the view of the sensor. If that doesnā€™t work, you can remove the bumper and rotate the sensor housings so that the sensors face away from the rear tire. This last alternative can be tricky because the sensors can easily be damaged and theyā€™re expensive to replace. To make this work, you may have to swap the outer retainer clips moving the right one to the left side and vise versa. Iā€™m currently waiting on a new Ace rear bumper before I alter the position of my sensors. The Ace bumper appears to have the sensors in a slightly different position. I hope this will cure the problem. Otherwise, Iā€™ll change the angle of the sensor housings. Iā€™ll post an update once I fix the problem.
Daryl, did you ever figure out what was causing the sensor to tell you to clean it in your ā€˜20 I have this problem intermittently and need to get it to somebody to look at, somedays it works ok for 2 minutes and then all of a sudden it says clean sensor.. other days it doesnā€™t work as soon as I put it in reverse..the problem on your ā€˜21 makes sense with it detecting something and flashing red, as it is picking up your spare tire, this clean your sensor thing has me mind boggled.. Iā€™m assuming is a defective sensor or some software thing..

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Daryl, did you ever figure out what was causing the sensor to tell you to clean it in your ā€˜20 I have this problem intermittently and need to get it to somebody to look at, somedays it works ok for 2 minutes and then all of a sudden it says clean sensor.. other days it doesnā€™t work as soon as I put it in reverse..the problem on your ā€˜21 makes sense with it detecting something and flashing red, as it is picking up your spare tire, this clean your sensor thing has me mind boggled.. Iā€™m assuming is a defective sensor or some software thing..
Itā€™s the same issue. Itā€™s related to the larger tires.