Sponsored

DEF Usage

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Well, Yankee is correct and I’ll have to eat a little crow. I said before on here that you can fill it all the way up and not have a problem. I did this for years on my Cummins Ram. However, you CAN overfill the DEF tank and it will indeed throw a code. I just did this. By overfill, I mean fill it slowly and keep adding as the fluid level goes down the filler tube. I put in just over 2gal really easy and then it burped. At that point.....STOP!!!! I didn’t. I was able to squeeze in the last 0.5 gal or so. Got in the truck and drove 25min to go mt biking. Gauge didn’t move off 3/4. Started my drive home and gauge didn’t move. After stopping for food, now the 3rd startup cycle, truck throw a CEL. Stop by Autozone and code read it. P203E, DEF level sensor code. Drained out some DEF (which is a nasty procedure on the Ram) and gauge went to 100% on the next startup. CEL was still on, so stopped by the dealer to have them reset it. Tech said the new trucks and Jeeps have a problem with overfilling and throw the CEL. He’s seen it a bunch and hoping there will be a software update to stop the CEL. He said when it burps back on you, it’s full and stop filling.
Sponsored

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, 2023 JLU Reign Willys
I'm not even going to get into discussion with you over this topic, or argue how you came upon such profound knowledge...
Nor do I feel the need to convince you of my credentials or credibility on the topic. You don't appear to be the type that would even consider that their opinion is wrong no matter the evidence provided.

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After stopping for food, now the 3rd startup cycle, truck throw a CEL. Stop by Autozone and code read it. P203E, DEF level sensor code. Drained out some DEF (which is a nasty procedure on the Ram) and gauge went to 100% on the next startup. CEL was still on, so stopped by the dealer to have them reset it. Tech said the new trucks and Jeeps have a problem with overfilling and throw the CEL. He’s seen it a bunch and hoping there will be a software update to stop the CEL. He said when it burps back on you, it’s full and stop filling.
You don't say!?

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just updated my post. I said wrong name. It was you that was right.
Thanks for that. I know it isn’t an ideal situation where overfilling can cause something like this but me putting in my $0.02 is only in the interest of saving someone a headache.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Thanks for that. I know it isn’t an ideal situation where overfilling can cause something like this but me putting in my $0.02 is only in the interest of saving someone a headache.
Yeah, which i why I posted. I hope this saves someone else a headache too. Lame software, but now the info is out there for others to read.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I just wait until it gets down to ~1/4 tank then pour in a box and it comes up to ~3/4. Trying to fill it up and end up with a partial box of DEF isn't worth it to me.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I just wait until it gets down to ~1/4 tank then pour in a box and it comes up to ~3/4. Trying to fill it up and end up with a partial box of DEF isn't worth it to me.
This is gonna be my plan going forward with DEF fill-ups. I’ve calculated out my DEF usage and it’s been exactly 2.6% for 3 refills, so no reason to fill it all the way up anymore.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
This is gonna be my plan going forward with DEF fill-ups. I’ve calculated out my DEF usage and it’s been exactly 2.6% for 3 refills, so no reason to fill it all the way up anymore.
The last jug leaked out the breather hole and I've got urea crystals on my boots. I can only imagine what would happen if I tried to fill it all the way up.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Another thing to keep in mind if you’re filling to the neck like I do is to leave some air space if you plan to park in ambient temps below about +12F for a while. Frozen DEF in a tank filled to the top of the neck sounds like a mess to me.

cu014628

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Attorney
I'm not trying to be a jerk but that's not really an answer to my question - insured by *whom*? Who/what exactly is providing this insurance of which you speak?
Federal Regulation E provides protection. It isn’t “insurance” but you are protected.

VABarn

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2020 JLURD
Sorry for the delayed response... Here is my current mpg average. I've never reset this guage, and I've never calculated myself.

PXL_20210105_181314177.MP.jpg
Sponsored