Sponsored

Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Heads up - I won't be installing this for a few weeks... But just couldn't wait to start the thread lol

WHY DID I GET THIS - On my very first off-road adventure in my Jeep, I was way up out of reception range on a FSR barreling along... Now nothing's changed in my methods in the last 2 months. I find FSR's on maps, and I just go and follow them until I can't go any further. 1/2 end in precarious ways I've found out...

Ok so, I get to a point where the shrubbery all closes in, and then finally there's a... Ditch? Basically the ground had given out to water running down the mountain.

I was inexperienced - but figured instead of trying to reverse out, I should just try and jump over this :CWL:

So, Made it, dented my muffler. Then realized it was a dead end lol - had to turn around and go back. Dented the muffler even more. Got home. Panicked and ordered this. Took ~6 weeks to get here.

I'll install it as insurance for the next time I want to Dukes of Hazard over something...

WEIGHT: 15lbs

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9651

Here are a few photos. I need to do a little work on my rear suspension first, and as this needs to attach to the sway bar mounts I'm waiting until that's done...

Sorry - that's cat fur, not pubes :CWL:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9643

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9644

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9652

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9653

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9654

Construction and finish are perfect. Nice and light too. Won't hurt to have this and I bet it will actually look great with my RR HD Rear Bumper I'm installing currently..

I'll update this with some before/after etc in a few weeks...
Sponsored

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And DONE!

Ok, finally with the sway bar bolts sorted out, mount the hangers and let the plate hang loose

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9846

Sorry - this will suck from here LOL

Put these bolts through the frame, and use the tabbed nuts on the other side

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9847

I'm putting the tabbed nut in the wrong side here - just for the photo thought :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9849

Bolted in
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9851

I think the sag is an illusion... I literally got the rear springs replaced last week becasue they were factory defective and sagging LOL
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9852

And from the sides - but hard to tell treally
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9853

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install IMG_9854

DONE TF

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Cheaper, faster and easier to just do the muffler delete. Also sounds better.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cheaper, faster and easier to just do the muffler delete. Also sounds better.
I'd never even heard of that until now... Looked it up - and would love the increased clearance!

Sponsored

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
QUESTION:

It appears to me the fitment of the plate isn't ideal.

There's ample room at the front of the plate, and as you get to the back it gets snug - and actually touches the bumper right at the very back.

So, when idling, or especially reverse you can hear the muffler vibrating against the skid plate. Once you're driving with road noise/stereo you can't hear anything.

It's not major, and really - there is only 1 way to install this so it's not that I did anything wrong on the install. Just 4 bolts.

Is there something I can place between the muffler and the plate to deaden that vibration? I'm guessing heat resistant but not too compact to transfer vibrations...

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
QUESTION:

It appears to me the fitment of the plate isn't ideal.

There's ample room at the front of the plate, and as you get to the back it gets snug - and actually touches the bumper right at the very back.

So, when idling, or especially reverse you can hear the muffler vibrating against the skid plate. Once you're driving with road noise/stereo you can't hear anything.

It's not major, and really - there is only 1 way to install this so it's not that I did anything wrong on the install. Just 4 bolts.

Is there something I can place between the muffler and the plate to deaden that vibration? I'm guessing heat resistant but not too compact to transfer vibrations...
I have no contact with neither the muffler nor the bumper. I don't have the stock bumper; I have an ICI Magnum.

That's odd, and I'd agree it's not the installation since there's no up/down movement...just 2 fixed brackets and 2 mounting tabs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Aluminum Muffler Skid Plate Install muffler_01

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's odd, and I'd agree it's not the installation since there's no up/down movement...just 2 fixed brackets and 2 mounting tabs.
Thanks for the post. RH says they haven't seen this issue on a stock muffler before and have offered suggestions - but with no amount of adjustability it's kind of tough to get a different result.
Sponsored