Anyone regret choosing black paint?

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I had a black Formula Firebird in my early 20s and unless it was freshly waxed, it was dirty. That was also the worst car I've had to show dings and scratches. I'll never own another black car.
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
In the end, it's totally taste and priorities. Black shows dirt. If that bothers YOU, dont get it. Me, I like my black Jeep, and dont care if it shows dirt...but I'm a notorious car slob who hasnt washed any vehicle in 30 years or more...
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone regret choosing black paint? Jee

I do think the black paint looks tight with black fenders, bumpers, roof...tires, wheels...mirrors....thinking about black lug nuts and a black antenna.

HarleysNGuns

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Recon, Cherokee, V-Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve done black before and the gloss and depth can be amazing. I just canā€™t stand swirl marks and itā€™s bound to happen no matter how careful you are. Thatā€™s what lead me to sting grey. Dark enough to get some good pop but will not notice swirls.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I had a black Formula Firebird in my early 20s and unless it was freshly waxed, it was dirty. That was also the worst car I've had to show dings and scratches. I'll never own another black car.
Many years ago when my dad had a body shop along with his garage I was rebuilding a salvaged Corvette for myself and asked our bodyman to paint it black. he refused because it would show imperfections. I didn't understand because he was very good and I didn't expect any imperfections. We ended up painting the car a color similar to JL Granite Crystal.

Markarr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Even though Iā€™m in love with at least 4 other Wrangler colors, thereā€™s just something about a black car that makes my heart skip a beat (lol). I keep telling myself: next oneā€˜s gonna X color, or Y color, or Z color, but when push comes to shove, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll have the stomach to not get another black one!! Just gotta hope to win the lottery one day, and get one of each!

61473AA8-EF8C-44BE-82C9-A99CE67FA961.jpeg

Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
You hit the nail on the head. Nothing look better than a black vehicle when it's clean. Now try and keep it that way. I've owned 5 black cars and I'm now done with them. They tend to show every scratch, nick and swirl imaginable and start to look dirty soon after you start driving it.

If you love the look of a black vehicle and don't mind putting the work into keeping it look it's best then go for it. As for me, I'm done... LOVING my '19 Mojito! JLUR!
Still clean a week later... this is why i ceramic coat all my vehicles.

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
Almost all my cars have been black... I just ordered a white jeep. Every freaking light swirl or scratch jumps out at you with black

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Black shows scratches, yes but itā€™s not as bad as on a car like a Corvette or a Trans Am. We got some fairly deep scratches on our CO trip but the buffed out. I really like my black. I like that Punkin too.....

4301976A-E7B4-4FE1-AA76-09DCCF24C19D.jpeg

E79351C1-6F51-4000-AC24-4564835305EF.png

AgentWolf

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Mine looks like a zebra with all the pin striping. I plan to have it repainted years down the road to something else.

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mine looks like a zebra with all the pin striping. I plan to have it repainted years down the road to something else.
Mine too! At some point I'll get it Line-x'd! I'm offroad almost every weekend so it doesn't bother me too much.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
The best line a car dealer ever said to me was "after 30 days will you really give a shit what color it is" He was 100% on the money with that vehicle and any other I have bought since. If I like the features the Jeep I am looking at on the lot has and the dealer does me right, I buy it and don't give a hoot in hell about the color. Mine this time just happens to be black and I like it. I have had one other black Jeep and I have had several other different color Jeeps. Loved them all THEY WERE JEEPS!

I will add that the color black is the best of both worlds, when it is covered with off road dirt and mud it shows it better than most but when you want it to look nice and pretty like you are going to the meeting the beauty of black is hard to beat

Last edited:

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone regret choosing black paint? 20200816_125459
Do yellow, take doors off, no dirt..:)

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
my first J**p was black. was beautiful (for a fraction of a minute when i spent the time to clean it up).

my new J**p is white.

I know how difficult it is to keep clean but itā€™s the most rewarding color when itā€™s time to shine. The black rubicon recon is becoming my favorite color/trim now. First place was white, then granite, then sting grey but Black has moved to the top of the list for now. Just curious of thoughts on black paint from other owners. Purchasing a JLUR within 2-3 months.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
20+ years ago, yes. lol
Sponsored