Sponsored

Thoughts about Infotainment.com?

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Hi, I am looking at purchasing the 8.4 UAQ display from infotainment.com. I am wondering if anyone has any insights/knowledge on their product? They market that they pre-program the radio to your vehicle's VIN, and I am curious about the techniques behind how they are programming the radio to my VIN? Considering that these are "reconditioned" units, they are technically not new. While it's pre-programed to my vehicle's VIN, and the radio unit glitches one day which will prompt me to "software reset" or "factory reset" to see if it handles the software glitch, will this wipe out any of the pre-programming they have done?

Furthermore, will this require a dealer sales code flash to "officially" register my VIN to the radio unit, or does infotainment.com already handle this?

I know there is a lot of questions, and I hope they all make sense. Thanks! I look forward to any response.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Hi, I am looking at purchasing the 8.4 UAQ display from infotainment.com. I am wondering if anyone has any insights/knowledge on their product? They market that they pre-program the radio to your vehicle's VIN, and I am curious about the techniques behind how they are programming the radio to my VIN? Considering that these are "reconditioned" units, they are not technically new. While it's pre-programed to my vehicle's VIN, and the radio unit glitches one day which will prompt me to "software reset" or "factory reset" to see if it handles the software glitch, will this wipe our any of the pre-programming they have done?

Furthermore, will this require a dealer sales code flash to "officially" register my VIN to the radio unit, or does infotainment.com already handle this?

I know there is a lot of questions, and I hope they all make sense. Thanks! I look forward to any response.
I've used them for their repair service since my radio ate it after the warranty (and from what I understand, FCA is taking forever and a day to replace them anyway).

The units they send you are flashed with the software for your vehicle based on your VIN. You won't need the dealer at all. The only thing you'd need to do at your discretion is move over your Sirius XM subscription if you've got one. That aside, you'll just pop the new unit in, punch in the security code to unlock it (which they'll provide you) and it'll learn your vehicle after a start or two. It's really simple and easy.

I'm assuming they have some kind of bench hardware that allows them to flash whatever they want to these radios.

OP
OP
hiilong

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've used them for their repair service since my radio ate it after the warranty (and from what I understand, FCA is taking forever and a day to replace them anyway).

The units they send you are flashed with the software for your vehicle based on your VIN. You won't need the dealer at all. The only thing you'd need to do at your discretion is move over your Sirius XM subscription if you've got one. That aside, you'll just pop the new unit in, punch in the security code to unlock it (which they'll provide you) and it'll learn your vehicle after a start or two. It's really simple and easy.
Thanks @Spank !! So if I were to run a soft reset or factory reset on the radio unit one day prior to reaching out to tech support, that would not affect any of the programming they've done? Is the software OEM also?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Thanks @Spank !! So if I were to run a soft reset or factory reset on the radio unit one day prior to reaching out to tech support, that would not affect any of the programming they've done? Is the software OEM also?
Correct. Everything is OEM.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
I can't speak to their JL offerings, but I can also verify that I had a good experience with them in the past on Jeep OEM radios with my JK. When I found my old JK Freedom Edition, it only had the plain, non-touchscreen, head unit. I bought the higher-end touchscreen unit that was available for same model year from them and it was truly plug & play. Worked great and never had any issues with the radio for the life of the JK.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hiilong

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't speak to their JL offerings, but I can also verify that I had a good experience with them in the past on Jeep OEM radios with my JK. When I found my old JK Freedom Edition, it only had the plain, non-touchscreen, head unit. I bought the higher-end touchscreen unit that was available for same model year from them and it was truly plug & play. Worked great and never had any issues with the radio for the life of the JK.
Thanks for the response @DWS44 ! I am glad to know they have a good reputation for radio upgrades. How did you go about updating the software of the radio unit when you had the upgraded radio unit from them?

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Thanks for the response @DWS44 ! I am glad to know they have a good reputation for radio upgrades. How did you go about updating the software of the radio unit when you had the upgraded radio unit from them?
I can't say that I ever dealt with any software upgrades for it, to be honest. All the functions on it worked.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Interested in why you would spend the money on an 8.4 when you can grab the heigh10 or the insane unit for same price ballpark?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I upgraded my Sync 2 to Sync 3 system from them on my 2015 F-150, works great so far. They programmed it to my VIN and options, and everything worked like before. Had it in for six months with no issues and a big improvement over Sync 2.
Sponsored