Sponsored

Help with Daily Driver Tires/Wheels for Sahara

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Has anyone bought from tires-easy.com? I prefer to buy local or from the board, but these guys are blowing everyone’s prices away ($285/tire with free shipping on Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.5r17) and a discount of $62.50 to have them shipped to a local installer = $272.50/tire plus tax - wow!!!
Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
That may be a perfect little task for me today before the final 4 starts. I will give it a go and see. I tell you what...it is very cool to chat with all of you across the country and even in Canada to share ideas. People taking the time to help others to make the JL the best it can be...
This is awesome. Love it! I love learning from everyone on here.

I wish my JL was in already so I had a little project before the games :) I guess I’ll finish my tire shopping instead... and order a test wheel (that’s a whole different story!).

I guess I could get started on the hard top lift in the garage...

Reactions: LHB

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Im a daily Driver of apx. 20miles into work and back with multiple days of driving around to Job sites and I chose this option because I wanted the aggressive look and feel of my Rig . The JL is a whole new animal and Im very Impressed with both response and noise in town . With the Toyo open country MT they do start to growl passed 45mph but not as bad as I expected ..." I can still carry on a conversation "

If you dont want to Lift you could go as High as a 33" Tire and 18" rim in something more on the road friendly quiet type Rubber

IMG_78921.jpg

20180324_120418.jpg
Love the color of your JL and the wheel choice is perfect!

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is awesome. Love it! I love learning from everyone on here.

I wish my JL was in already so I had a little project before the games :) I guess I’ll finish my tire shopping instead... and order a test wheel (that’s a whole different story!).

I guess I could get started on the hard top lift in the garage...
OMG...I can't imagine waiting. I was lucky to walk into the dealership and mine was on the showroom floor. Purchased on Jan 31.

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
@aug0211 ...when do you get yours in?
Jealous of you!

I placed my order something like March 7. The estimated build begin date is April 10... so, maybe by the end of April, if I’m lucky? Probably more like mid-May.

I’m in Ohio at least so hopefully it’s a quick delivery once it’s done.

I did a custom order back in ‘14 and delivery was super fast, so I’m hoping for the same experience.

Quick note regarding daily driver tires - I’ve been waffling between Ridge Grapplers in 285/17r17 load C and 35x12.5r17 load E. I want the 35 for size, but like the C load of the 285/75 for comfort.

The return policies I’m finding that I had previously been unaware of have helped me relax a lot. My thought is, I’ll go for the 35s and if it proves to be too stiff for me/the family after a few weeks, I’ll exchange them for the 285s in C load.

Maybe everyone already knew to look for/ask about return/exchange policies with tires, but I did not until recently. Hopefully that helps take the pressure off on making the perfect decision :)

With regard to wheels, Vin at SCS wheels has been AWESOME. He’s agreed to waive the restocking fee for me if I purchase 1 wheel and take it out to a lot to look at it next to a Granite Wrangler (my color, and the color poster in the last photo above). If it’s not a good color match, I’ll send it back no harm done. I plan to take photos of the color match to share with SCS, as well as the forum, for anyone else who is interested.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Has anyone bought from tires-easy.com? I prefer to buy local or from the board, but these guys are blowing everyone’s prices away ($285/tire with free shipping on Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.5r17) and a discount of $62.50 to have them shipped to a local installer = $272.50/tire plus tax - wow!!!
Quick update in case anyone is shopping this same deal - I pulled the trigger just now on 5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers sized at 35x12.5r17 through Discount Tire. Original quote was around $2k all in. We got down to $1,669.20 total - including mounting/balancing/TPMS swap/shipping/fees/tax and the certificates (basically an insurance policy). That's $333.84 per tire out the door.

The $272.50 deal through TireBuyer ended up being $1,457 / 5 tires + (95.64 mounting/balancing at Firestone / 5 tires) = $310.53 per tire all-in, but does not include the certificates and requires you to work through Firestone for mounting/balancing/TPMS.

I opted to go through DT for three reasons:
  1. The premium of ~$23/tire gets me peace of mind with the certificates (insurance policy) on a roughly $275-300 tire
  2. One-stop place to get everything done/one company to work with (opposed to TireBuyer + Firestone), and I trust DT a bit more with my tires than Firestone (strictly emotion/opinion, nothing fact-based there)
  3. The guys at DT have taken care of plenty of patches for me in the past for free on tires I didn't even buy from them, and they're always super nice and helpful

Hopefully this is helpful for others on the forum looking at the same tires.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
The KO2 is a great choice for you. I have run them up here in the Mountains since they were redone. I don’t think there is as good a ice/snow AT tire out there. There are some really goods ones out there though.

OP
OP
LHB

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU, Rivian R1S, '99 Cherokee XJ
Thanks again for all the responses. Lucky to have a forum like this to help me! Super psyched, my Jeep is on a train right now. Scheduled to arrive as early as Friday. I haven't had a jeep since my 1982 Jeep Grand Wagoneer which was my favorite car EVER!!!!

Sponsored

LittleG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
Im a daily Driver of apx. 20miles into work and back with multiple days of driving around to Job sites and I chose this option because I wanted the aggressive look and feel of my Rig . The JL is a whole new animal and Im very Impressed with both response and noise in town . With the Toyo open country MT they do start to growl passed 45mph but not as bad as I expected ..." I can still carry on a conversation "

If you dont want to Lift you could go as High as a 33" Tire and 18" rim in something more on the road friendly quiet type Rubber

IMG_78921.jpg

20180324_120418.jpg
This looks beautiful and it’s exactly what I wanna do to my Sahara ..what is the name of the tires and wheels you have?

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He has: Toyo Open Country 35" R20 with Black Rhino 20x9 Rims.

@JEEPJL will have to advise you on his wheel offset. I'm guessing -12.

LittleG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
yes -12mm with no spacer
Oh ok, I don’t think I wanna do 20’s though just because of price and gas mileage ..If I did 18’s would it still be -12mm ? And does that mean I could do a bigger tire if my rims were 2 inches smaller in diameter? Sorry I’m not used to Jeeps I’m used to my turbo car life I had before lol...

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Oh ok, I don’t think I wanna do 20’s though just because of price and gas mileage ..If I did 18’s would it still be -12mm ? And does that mean I could do a bigger tire if my rims were 2 inches smaller in diameter? Sorry I’m not used to Jeeps I’m used to my turbo car life I had before lol...
When searching for wheels they should have a fitment section that you can use to find out if they fit and they will give the offset.... All depends on the wheel style and size

18 OR 20 inch rim won't effect mpg more than tire size
Sponsored