Going in 4WD over 45 mph

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
How would you suggest I keep up with traffic in less than ideal circumstances?
Keep up with traffic? Well if the Honda civic beside you is doing 70 in a snowstorm then the snowstorm is not bad enough to warrant 4wd.

Yes you can go 70 in 4wd but it is in loose traction. I have done this in jeeps but it was off road "hold my beer and watch this" kind of shit.

I drive in DC traffic with lunatic tourists and crazy liberals. I don't run across many who do 70 in a snowstorm.
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

You should go 4h with locking all 4 wheels! :) 70 mph!

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Next time your at highway speed and see snow, make sure you are in 2 wheel drive and smash the gas pedal.,with no other vehicles in sight.
I don't think 4 wheel drive will ever help you.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I don’t think that the OP needs any of us here to lecture him about how to drive.

His question is simple: “can I drive in 4H in mixed snowy conditions above 45mph?” The answer to that, I think, is “yes“ as long as you are not on clear pavement as that will have a tendency to tear up your drivetrain.
That isn’t the question OP asked. He asked about shifting into 4wd, and whether or not he needs to slow down to less than 45mph to shift into 4wd. The answer is yes, you must slow down.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I cannot tell you how many miles I've driven on dirt/mud/gravel/sandy roads in 4wd (not AWD) at speed well above 45 mph, in all of my trucks and my Jeep in 4wd Hi.

Mechanically, there is no issue as long as the surface allows tire slippage, which is why you would want 4wd anyway.

Safety is a different issue. Many Jeepers do rock crawling and other activities in there Jeeps that has higher risk than driving over 45 mph on a low traction road. You want "safe", stay home and drive a Jeep video game.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Bottom line, if you live in serious snow country and you are ordering a new Jeep, get selec- trac and you will never have this issue. My Jeep has it and my wife's Jeep does not. Hers is a pita . Gotta have slippery roads to be in 4wd , and road conditions vary , even in snow events.

Last edited:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
UH YES.

Bottom line is this - in any situation where you need 4WD, you SHOULD NOT be doing more than 45mph. It's not even a matter of mechanical damage at this point, it's not being stupid.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Drove many years in my Jeeps and to answer your question follow what the manual says. I have driven in 4wd on snow and ice across Kansas through co at 45/60 mph. Not much traffic. When there was I just waved and let them pass. Usually pass them in the ditch or worse up the highway. Pulled u-haul trailer in 4wd at 60 behind my golden eagle. With no problems. The thing to remember is in four wheel drive and you start sliding you got four wheels sliding. It’s funny to see the slat rats on I-70 upside down sliding down the interstate. That’s probably why they put their slats on top of the car lol.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Drove many years in my Jeeps and to answer your question follow what the manual says. I have driven in 4wd on snow and ice across Kansas through co at 45/60 mph. Not much traffic. When there was I just waved and let them pass. Usually pass them in the ditch or worse up the highway. Pulled u-haul trailer in 4wd at 60 behind my golden eagle. With no problems. The thing to remember is in four wheel drive and you start sliding you got four wheels sliding. It’s funny to see the slat rats on I-70 upside down sliding down the interstate. That’s probably why they put their slats on top of the car lol.
Funny how it is always the Audis, Mercedes and BMWs that end up in the ditch. Even the ones with “AWD” slapped on the trunk.

They seem to forget those expensive Nurburgring-rated tires do squat the moment it gets a little cold.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Bottom line, if you live in serious snow country and you are ordering a new Jeep, get selec- trac and you will never this issue. My Jeep has it and my wife's Jeep does not. Hers is a pita . Gotta have slippery roads to be in 4wd , and road conditions vary , even in snow events.
^^^ this!

You have to experience Selec-Trac first-hand to appreciate just how good it is.

It is the best feature on my JL. And it is the one true bargain on JL’s long option list, IMO.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Funny how it is always the Audis, Mercedes and BMWs that end up in the ditch. Even the ones with “AWD” slapped on the trunk.

They seem to forget those expensive Nurburgring-rated tires do squat the moment it gets a little cold.
My wife used to be a big Subaru fan, and I think the biggest takeaway, for me, from experiencing the Subaru enthusiast ethos was that by and large, people don't grasp the fact that AWD and 4WD only assist in acceleration. Those systems do NOTHING for stopping, and stopping is FAR more important. The attitudes of the Subaru guys were that they could do whatever they wanted in bad weather because they had AWD...they acted as if their cars ran on magic.
Sponsored