Bare minimum tools for the trail?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Ok, so you are going out on a trail. It is not well trafficked. You will be 20 miles from the nearest road with traffic on it.

EXCLUDING “recovery gear” (Ropes, shackles, winch, treadboards, shovels, etc), what does your absolute minimum TOOL kit look like? What does it contain?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I found a link to this you tube video on this forum, and found it quite helpful.

I bought one of the Blue Ridge Overland Tool Bags that he talks about in the video, and it is fantastic. I've never been able to get so many tools in such a compact space. It is perfect for behind the rear seat in a 2-door Wrangler. I use all of the tools he mentions in the video, but also added a set of Torx wrenches, which he doesn't mention, and I have a bigger selection of nuts, bolts, washers, cotter pins, clamps, etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
A few ramblings as I'll assume the sockets, ratchets and wrenches are obvious:

-admittedly I didn't watch the video but I see a c-clamp in the pic; I'd carry a sliding F-clamp first -- way more versatile, faster, stronger and packs down smaller.

-I carry an inexpensive Launch code reader

-don't forget the large socket for the front stub shafts

-24" ratchet I got cheap on clearance (breaker bar is fine, too)

-fused jumper wire for tying the batteries together at the fuse box

-trust me, just carry some wobble or swivel adapters in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 sq drive. They don't hardly take up any room but worth their weight in gold.

-for tires: I still pull my cores to air down. Worked awesome 20 years ago and works awesome today. But I carry a couple of core removal tools, replacement cores, replacement valve stems (which doesn't make a ton of sense 'cause I don't have a great way to re-seat a bead) and Safety Seal kit. Also they make valve stem caps that claim to seal and I carry some of those too just in case I have maybe a leaky core and lost all my spare replacements... IOW, redundancy

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
I'm also trying to come up with a "minimalist" tool kit. My intention is to make sure I AT LEAST have everything I need on the trail. I can add to the kit as needed.

Disclaimer: I have done some off roading, but I have been fortunate enough to not have to do any trail repairs. I would love some critiquing of this kit. If anybody knows the ones I have marked "???" please let me know. My vehicle is a 2020 JLUR if that matters:

Wheels Tires:
-Lug Nuts: 22mm Socket + Large enough wratchet to tighten the lug nuts properly
-Valve core installation tool + spare valve cores
-Tire Pressure Gauge
-Trail Air Compressor

Suspension:
-Shocks: 18mm Wratchet and Socket
-Sway Bars: 15mm socket for chassis mounts
18mm socket for rear suspension mount
??? for the front suspension mount
-Tie Rods: 18mm Wrench or Socket

Brakes: I have not had a chance to remove a wheel and check what tools I would need for the brakes. If somebody knows please let me know and I will edit this post.

Battery/Electrical:
-Battery Terminals: 10mm Socket
-Battery Bus Plate: 13mm Socket
-Fuse Panel Bus Plate: 10mm Socket
-Fuse Panel: 7mm Socket
-Aux Battery: If anybody knows what tools are needed to access the aux battery please let me know and I will update this post.
-Alternator: 13mm & 15mm Socket + 2" Extension. Are there any special tools needed to remove the serpentine belt?
-Jumping: I made one of these fused jumpers described by @Jebiruph and carry that with me to allow me to use my aux battery as a backup battery or to jump start the jeep:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

Engine:
-Engine Cover: T30 or 10mm Socket
-Air Box: 10mm Sockets
-Oil Plug: 13mm Socket
-Hoses: Most appear to be held on with clips that can be removed with pliers.

Differentials:
-Drain Plug: 3/8" Drive Wratchet (Square Drive Plug)
-Cover: 10mm Socket

Misc:
-Plastic "Rivet" Clips (Not sure their actual name): Flat Screw Driver with as wide of a blade as you can fit in the little notch to get under the head. Test fit the screwdriver in advance.
-Zip Ties & Wire Cutters
-Work Gloves

Last edited:

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
I'm also trying to come up with a "minimalist" tool kit. My intention is to make sure I AT LEAST have everything I need on the trail. I can add to the kit as needed.

Disclaimer: I have done some off roading, but I have been fortunate enough to not have to do any trail repairs. I would love some critiquing of this kit. If anybody knows the ones I have marked "???" please let me know. My vehicle is a 2020 JLUR if that matters:

Wheels Tires:
-Lug Nuts: 22mm Socket + Large enough wratchet to tighten the lug nuts properly
-Valve core installation tool + spare valve cores
-Tire Pressure Gauge
-Trail Air Compressor

Suspension:
-Shocks: 18mm Wratchet and Socket
-Sway Bars: 15mm socket for chassis mounts
18mm socket for rear suspension mount
??? for the front suspension mount
-Tie Rods: 18mm Wrench or Socket

Brakes: I have not had a chance to remove a wheel and check what tools I would need for the brakes. If somebody knows please let me know and I will edit this post.

Battery/Electrical:
-Battery Terminals: 10mm Socket
-Battery Bus Plate: 13mm Socket
-Fuse Panel Bus Plate: 10mm Socket
-Fuse Panel: 7mm Socket
-Aux Battery: If anybody knows what tools are needed to access the aux battery please let me know and I will update this post.
-Alternator: 13mm & 15mm Socket + 2" Extension. Are there any special tools needed to remove the serpentine belt?
-Jumping: I made one of these fused jumpers described by @Jebiruph and carry that with me to allow me to use my aux battery as a backup battery or to jump start the jeep:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

Engine:
-Engine Cover: T30 or 10mm Socket
-Air Box: 10mm Sockets
-Oil Plug: 13mm Socket
-Hoses: Most appear to be held on with clips that can be removed with pliers.

Differentials:
-Drain Plug: 3/8" Drive Wratchet (Square Drive Plug)
-Cover: 10mm Socket

Misc:
-Plastic "Rivet" Clips (Not sure their actual name): Flat Screw Driver with as wide of a blade as you can fit in the little notch to get under the head. Test fit the screwdriver in advance.
-Zip Ties & Wire Cutters
-Work Gloves

I have my list which includes some over night stuff. Excluding that and adding to your list, I might consider a T45 for winch/bumper work especially considering how many people have the winch hidden in their bumpers. Everything else on the bumper requires deep sockets. Seems odd to consider that but just something to think about if you think you might need to access the winch.

I have also read where very experienced or extreme off-roading people use the air compressor for power tools. I know I am not that extreme.

Rapid Tire Deflator?

Miscellaneous = bungees?

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
-Two light sources (headlamp, and a flashlight/lantern combo)
-A towel or mat to lay down on
-magnetic cup to hold the small things that like to run away

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Man, you guys travel light!

I'm ready to remove axle shafts, particularly the front if someone loses a U-joint (even though I am running RCVs). I can even R&R a ring and pinion on trail (no real need, but I just went on a 2700 mile road trip 500 miles after I did my first gear change on my JL).

A big thing for me that I didn't see mentioned is a DVOM and related electrical diagnostic materials.

TP45 or TP50 sockets (I forgot which one is needed, but I carry both) to remove stock drive shafts. I don't have stock anymore, but someone on trail may need to.

Experience will often let you know what you need, because it's often what you don't have. But you will the next time!

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Experience will often let you know what you need, because it's often what you don't have. But you will the next time!
True, but one of the primary purposes of the forum is to share experience so others don't necessarily need to learn the hard way.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I found a link to this you tube video on this forum, and found it quite helpful.

I bought one of the Blue Ridge Overland Tool Bags that he talks about in the video, and it is fantastic. I've never been able to get so many tools in such a compact space. It is perfect for behind the rear seat in a 2-door Wrangler. I use all of the tools he mentions in the video, but also added a set of Torx wrenches, which he doesn't mention, and I have a bigger selection of nuts, bolts, washers, cotter pins, clamps, etc.
I also got the Blue Ridge Overland bag and it's unreal what can fit in it.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So I figured that I would answer my own question. EXCLUDING recovery gear, I have settled on this (Yes, you can rip me apart).
  • 2 crescent wrenches (10” and 8” tekton)
  • Locking plier (tekton)
  • Knipex pliers
  • A few large zip ties
  • Lineman pliers (tekton)
  • Torx wrenches (hex key type — “tekton star key”)
  • Allen keys (metric)
  • 4 Screw drivers (small large Phillips. Small large flat)
  • Small pry bar
  • Handheld rechargeable light (Amazon)
  • tire pressure gauge
  • 3/8th socket set 6mm-24mm (tekton)
  • ratchet (3/8 tekton)
  • electric tape
why did I decide on this? Well, I seriously doubt that I could “field strip” my Jeep and actually FIX something on the fly. If a rudder or gib or u-shackle-buckle or permi-collar breaks, I am probably SOL anyway. Having 50 Metric sockets And 50 imperial sockets (regular and deep) along with an entire set of Metric and imperial wrenches would speed a job. Having a bunch of other tools would be great too. But they are heavy and am I really going to figure out how to replace a ABC joint in the dirt, especially since I’m not carrying any spare parts?

But.....

I might need to tighten up a flibber or jabber or something. I might need to get a trail light repositioned. Might need to tighten my Sunrider. I might need to pull the battery cables. I might need to tighten a loose nut on some roof rack or Trailrax. I might need to twist a thingie to stop it from rattling. I might need to fix an electric connection to my trail lights. You get the idea.

ready, set, go...... tear me apart.

Edit:

I have decided to add a couple of other items (or I neglected to mention them above)
- Forgot to mention a utility knife
- forgot to mention a set of standard 3/8” sockets (tekton)
- forgot to mention Allen keys, standard.
- add: I intend to add stuff as required... for instance, i just put on a TrailRax system. For 99% of the bolts/nuts, my crescent wrench would work. But a could would be hard to get 4 nuts on the Trailrax.. So, added ONE open end wrench of the right size for that job. And will add other wrenches or stuff as needed For other jobs.
-add: wire strippers (Tekton).

Last edited: