Sponsored

3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine vs. 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I With Start Stop

LastFrontier1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR Sarge Green
I remember an FCA powertrain engineer saying that the E-torque adds about 90ft lbs of torque right off idle. That's significant.

I'm not a fan of the complexity, but I think they've put enough of them out there that it has likely become a mature powertrain by now. That torque, if the charge can be maintained for every start, would be pretty amazing off-road. I'd want to see how it behaves during a full day of off-roading. I'm sure it is pretty amazing on-road, though.
Thanks. I would appear that the etorque should be usefu then off-road at high altitudes. I also was concerned about adding something to break and almost went with the 6 speed to avoid the whole etorque thing. Tough call.
Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I had not even heard of this etorque offering. Just checked the window sticker and it shows the engine as a 3.6L etorque optioned vehicle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I would appear that the etorque should be usefu then off-road at high altitudes. I also was concerned about adding something to break and almost went with the 6 speed to avoid the whole etorque thing. Tough call.
It will be amazing, if the engine/alternator can keep the charge up enough to activate it consistently. I suspect it will. Of course, in low range, it won't matter. I think the big advantage will be in high range. In fact, I'd bet they cut it off while in low range.

I'm looking forward to hearing real world reports on it. From reading about it, it should be one heck of a neat combo. Lots of grunt down low and then that Pentastar takes over and is in its element, pulling hard all the way to 6500. I personally feel like the Pentastar has plenty torque as-is, so 90ft lbs will be gravy. Really good gravy!

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It does nothing off road. It is strictly for ESS.
Not true.

The eTorque applies a small amount of additional power upon initial acceleration from a stop. That can be while you accelerate away from a stop sign or from a stop on the trail. On the 2.0T engine, this was something like 70 ft lbs. of torque and it's only for a very short amount of time. I don't know how much torque is being added on the 3.6 eTorque.

It does not add any more torque once you are already going, regardless of speed.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
So you are saying that e torque engages or provides torque when the engine is already running? I doubt that. When off roading (at least for me) ess is disabled automatically. So I dont see how etorque does anything.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So you are saying that e torque engages or provides torque when the engine is already running? I doubt that. When off roading (at least for me) ess is disabled automatically. So I dont see how etorque does anything.
Doubt it if you want, I didn't design it, only explaining how it works.

It seems to me you're thinking of it as the typical ESS system, which uses an small auxiliary battery, instead it's more like two systems. The eTorque has a 48volt battery cell and a belt start generator. When the Jeep is running, stopped in gear, and with the brake pedal depressed, the ESS activates. Once the brake pedal is released, the BSG restarts the engine (which is why the eTorque ESS is super smooth and quiet, it doesn't use the starter to re-start the engine while in ESS), and the BSG then supplements the engine torque via the BSG and 48volt battery cell as the Jeep is accelerated from the stop. This additional torque is only added for a VERY short time. That's why the eTorque system is classified as a "Mild Hybrid" design.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Doubt it if you want, I didn't design it, only explaining how it works.

It seems to me you're thinking of it as the typical ESS system, which uses an small auxiliary battery, instead it's more like two systems. The eTorque has a 48volt battery cell and a belt start generator. When the Jeep is running, stopped in gear, and with the brake pedal depressed, the ESS activates. Once the brake pedal is released, the BSG restarts the engine (which is why the eTorque ESS is super smooth and quiet, it doesn't use the starter to re-start the engine while in ESS), and the BSG then supplements the engine torque via the BSG and 48volt battery cell as the Jeep is accelerated from the stop. This additional torque is only added for a VERY short time. That's why the eTorque system is classified as a "Mild Hybrid" design.
I understand everything you said and agree with it. What I am saying is my engine NEVER shuts off while off roading, thereby negating e torque. When I hit the offroad+ button it turns off ess and traction control.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
eTorque works for about half a tire rotation from a standstill, whether the engine shut down or not, via the crankshaft connected (wider) accessory drive belt turned by the Belt Starter Generator.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I understand everything you said and agree with it. What I am saying is my engine NEVER shuts off while off roading, thereby negating e torque. When I hit the offroad+ button it turns off ess and traction control.
I didn't realize you meant in that situation, so yes the ESS isn't engaged. What I'm not sure about then (with the offroad+ on), is if the eTorque will still apply power upon acceleration. From my understanding, ESS doesn't have to be activated for the mild-hybrid application to work. There are times when my ESS isn't activated while at a stop, usually when it's hot out and the AC is on full blast. I have no doubt that once I accelerate, the eTorque isn't applying the additional torque.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It does nothing off road. It is strictly for ESS.
It provides 90 ft lbs of torque off idle up to a certain speed. It is more than just the starter. It also helps get the vehicle moving.

Deleted member 53226

It provides 90 ft lbs of torque off idle up to a certain speed. It is more than just the starter. It also helps get the vehicle moving.
I have the 3.6 etorque with an automatic trans.

Based on what I have researched, read and seen of the etorque, the prior posts about it activated for about half a wheel turn are correct. FCA doesn't even count the claimed 90 ft lbs of torque in their overall engine torque number, so that shows you it really has no major contribution to engine torque.

I can tell you it does make the ESS stop/start silky smooth. I think that is the major benefit, plus it has the large battery to run AC and electrics more efficiently while the engine is off due to ESS.

I can't say off the line performance is affected or even noticeable versus non-etorque, but so far I am glad for it just for the smooth restarts.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My understanding is that it provides low-end toque regardless if the engine is running or not. Granted, the amount of time that it provides this torque is very short indeed but I believe every time you put your foot on the pedal when stationary or at low very speeds, the electric motor will give some assistance in turning the wheels in that initial moment, whether the engine is running or not. This is completely separate from ESS. I want to repeat that is only my understanding from everything I’ve read in FCA press releases and other places.
Sponsored