Sponsored

Switching out the wheels for 17x9 with 35x12.5 tires. What is the bolt pattern? What offset and backspacing?

bjord

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Cherokee Limited X, 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 392 on order
I'm sure this has already been answered somewhere, but instead of reading through a bunch of posts, I'm asking again.
I am planning on switching out the wheels for 17x9 with 35x12.5 tires. What is the bolt pattern? What offset and backspacing should I be shopping for?
I'm sure there's a few of you out there that already know the answer to these and can save me a lot of wasted time reading through old posts.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
We don't have answers for the 392 yet.

The diesel Wrangler is different from the gas Wrangler. Changes had to be made to accommodate the size and weight of the diesel engine. The suspension for the diesel is different. Some of the after market mods like lift kits and shocks made for the gas models won't fit properly on the diesel. The gas Rubicons fit 35 tires without rubbing. The diesel Rubicons fit 37 tires without rubbing.

I am expecting differences with the 392 models given the size and weight of the new engine. It would probably be best to wait until forum members start receiving their 392 models before buying stuff.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Bolt pattern is 5x127 (or 5x5), bore is 71.5mm and backspacing is really what kind of look/fit you're wanting. Rubicons have wider axles so you can get by w/ more positive offset, I'd look at zero through +15. If you plan to lift even more than may want to go slightly negative.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
We don't have answers for the 392 yet.

The diesel Wrangler is different from the gas Wrangler. Changes had to be made to accommodate the size and weight of the diesel engine. The suspension for the diesel is different. Some of the after market mods like lift kits and shocks made for the gas models won't fit properly on the diesel. The gas Rubicons fit 35 tires without rubbing. The diesel Rubicons fit 37 tires without rubbing.

I am expecting differences with the 392 models given the size and weight of the new engine. It would probably be best to wait until forum members start receiving their 392 models before buying stuff.
Where are you hearing all that for the diesel? As far as I know, the only difference in suspension is the spring rate to compensate for the heavier motor. Lift kits use all the same components except for maybe springs depending who you go with. I've never heard anything about the diesel being able to accept 37s.

Only thing I remember hearing for the 392 is that it comes from the factory with the Mopar 2" lift and 35s and with that, it's able to accept 37s.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I have a sport. Went with 17x9.5 Black rhino Barstow with a -18 offset. Wheels stick out about 3 inches past my fender with 35x12.5.

D6729E8B-FF7B-4027-B87D-E662F29C3D49.jpeg

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Where are you hearing all that for the diesel? As far as I know, the only difference in suspension is the spring rate to compensate for the heavier motor. Lift kits use all the same components except for maybe springs depending who you go with. I've never heard anything about the diesel being able to accept 37s.

Only thing I remember hearing for the 392 is that it comes from the factory with the Mopar 2" lift and 35s and with that, it's able to accept 37s.
Owners of diesel Wranglers have been posting their experiences. Here is one person's review. I have been following his channel from his days with a JK.

Here is a discussion on diesel specific lift kits. It includes a discussion on the additional weight of the diesel engine and information from after market suppliers on the development of diesel specific lift kits.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diesel-lift-kit.47537/

From what I have read, the diesel Rubicons sit higher than the gas Rubicons.

Here is a review from Trail Recon. It includes a discussion of some of the implications of the additional weight of the diesel engine.

Last edited:

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Just because they fit at a standstill doesn't mean they aren't going to rub when you're actually driving and wheeling. In one of Casey's later videos, he goes on to say where they rub without the lift. The diesel probably does sit a little higher because of the springs and depending how it's optioned out. I don't have a gas version to compare to my diesel.

I've been following the diesel lift kit thread as well. Suspension components between gas and diesel are the same except for the springs. As the owner of a diesel, I've been following this too.

To answer the OP's question though. 5x5" or 5x127mm for the bolt pattern. Backspacing and offset are going to depend what wheels he goes with and what look he wants. I went with AEV Borah JL wheels which are 17x8.5 and have a 5.72" backspace and +25mm offset. I want to keep the tires tucked under the fender as much as possible.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
My point is very simple.

History suggests that engineering changes will be made to the 392 to facilitate the size and weight of the new engine. Does it really make sense to start buying mods before you have had a chance to evaluate these changes?

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
If anyone is interested in getting an idea of what is involved in a V8 engine swap:

So I guess there will be less business for these companies after the 392 models start rolling out.

If there are no significant quality control issues, it will be interesting to see the differences between a generic V8 engine and one that is built specifically for the Wrangler.
Sponsored

Last edited: