Sponsored

JL vs JK Brakes

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
I want to change my brake pads on my JL. First time I will be working on brakes in my life! (Please set up a GO Fund Me page for my future ex wife's support). There are lots of videos on the JK but none on the JL. Are they the same? Will I need the same tools? Should I prepay for a funeral?
Bro, its so easy that you're going to kick yourself for ever paying anyone to do it. I literally have my son AND daughter changing my brakes and oil since they were 10 years old (ofcourse I double check everything is tightened). Too easy.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I installed the Powerstop Z36 kit a couple weeks ago and so far it's a solid product. I didn't really need new pads, but my front rotors keep warping and definitely needed replacement. I have no idea if this will solve the problem, but I paid $360 for the kit shipped and they were incredibly easy to install. I've got slightly better stopping power, but I'm not expecting much in that department with 37" KM3s.

PXL_20201114_235748687.jpg

PXL_20201116_041940366.jpg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Everyone starts somewhere.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
@jeepdabest , If it isnt broken, dont fix it. If you have never fixed brakes, or replaced brakes before, leave it to the professionals. Especially on newer vehicles. Especially if you plan on bleeding the brakes.
I've done this on about every car I have owned, and with as little as it costs, to have someone slap some new pads on, approx $200 or so for all 4 corners, it isn't worth the time and possible headaches you might incur.
With that outlook, how do you ever learn to do something new? You have to start somewhere, and it doesn't get much easier than doing disk brakes. As long as you don't crack any lines or let the reservoir run empty, there's no need to bleed the brakes.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
With that outlook, how do you ever learn to do something new? You have to start somewhere, and it doesn't get much easier than doing disk brakes. As long as you don't crack any lines or let the reservoir run empty, there's no need to bleed the brakes.
Very true. But, when I learned, vehicles werent as expensive, or complicated. Also, if someone does his first brake job on his own vehicle, without supervision from someone with experience, it might not end well. In the end, it is your Jeep, and if you are mechanically inclined, then go for it.

OP
OP
jeepdabest

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I appreciate everyone's opinions here. But, I'm going to give it a shot...death be damned. I'm 68 yrs old with over 2 million of life insurance just in case. I would hate for my 25 year old bride to go without. In fact, Candy has been extremely supportive of me doing my own brakes to the point of really pushing! God, I love her. My sweetie even brought me home something from Costco. I'm blessed.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes Casket

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I appreciate everyone's opinions here. But, I'm going to give it a shot...death be damned. I'm 68 yrs old with over 2 million of life insurance just in case. I would hate for my 25 year old bride to go without. In fact, Candy has been extremely supportive of me doing my own brakes to the point of really pushing! God, I love her. My sweetie even brought me home something from Costco. I'm blessed.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes Casket
Hell yeah! It's very simple.

Just to add on to what limeade said, you can remove the caliper bracket, but you don't have to. Just remove the 13mm bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket and wiggle the caliper off. Have a bucket of stool handy to set the caliper on, DO NOT let the caliper dangle from the brake line.

Just take pictures of how everything looks installed from the factory, and reference the pictures when you put the new stuff in.

For those who are doing the power stop z36 pads, you'll be a fan. Big difference in stopping power with our 39" KM3s, in fact wife just told me that she put them to good use after being cut off today.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
What is the factory brakes on a JL ceramic or raybestos?

Brake dust is really bad on aftermarket wheels.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe, Mustang Mach-E, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Just to add on to what limeade said, you can remove the caliper bracket, but you don't have to. Just remove the 13mm bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket and wiggle the caliper off. Have a bucket of stool handy to set the caliper on, DO NOT let the caliper dangle from the brake line.
umm.....seems unnecessary.

Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Every replacement disc brake pad kit I've ever done come with new clips. Not that it 'really' matters if they're still in good shape but I'd swap those with the pads.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes 1607473016364

OP
OP
jeepdabest

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Have a bucket of stool handy to set the caliper on, DO NOT let the caliper dangle from the brake line.
Does it matter who's stool it is and does it have to be filled to the top?

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Does it matter who's stool it is and does it have to be filled to the top?
Ideally yours, but anyone's will work in a pinch. As full as possible, I'd get started now.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you have a tool to push the brake piston/s (if they're dual piston, I think the JL's are) back into the caliper. Also remove the reservoir cap before pushing the piston back in. I just use a cheap $10 one and it hasn't been a problem (so far) on several different vehicles. Haven't had to replace the JL's yet as I only have 18k miles on it. I'd suggest watching several videos on youtube so you're very familiar with the entire process before starting and running into something you're unfamiliar with. The job is extremely straightforward but there are some little things you might get hung up on unless you're very familiar with the process. Disc brakes are basically the same on all vehicles but the calipers will look different and have a slightly different process for disassembly. If you're mechanically inclined at all it should be easy to see what you need to do. Above all, follow torque specs when re-assembling the caliper. It's never happened to me but I've heard (and seen internet pics) of caliper bolts backing out.

Once you've done a few brake jobs it's an easy, couple hour job to replace pads and rotors. Brake shops charge $300 labor (often even more) so it's something worth learning to do yourself. I've done the brakes/rotors on all my vehicles (and friends/family) the past 25 years.

And as suggested above, don't allow the caliper to hang from the brake line. I use a 5 gal bucket turned upside down and a box on top if extra height is needed. I've also used bungie cords if you have those around. Anything that supports and relieves tension on the line.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...xbHUe5SSok2R8vr7IlRoCmrkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Sponsored

Last edited: