First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Did you end up doing this? Still no sound clip posted in the thread and different peoples’ opinions of “a little drone” is not going to work for me. I know what a muffler delete - any muffler delete - is going to generally sound like and that’s not what I want. However with another muffler in line it might work, especially if the stock resonator is left in place.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Did you end up doing this? Still no sound clip posted in the thread and different peoples’ opinions of “a little drone” is not going to work for me. I know what a muffler delete - any muffler delete - is going to generally sound like and that’s not what I want. However with another muffler in line it might work, especially if the stock resonator is left in place.
Prolly have to shoot the OP a PM, wish there was a sound clip, seems like a good way to go though. That resonator combined w/ that Magnaflow should negate that resonance in the drone-zone :)

I think I'll try to come up w/ a way to accomplish that w/ my 2dr, just have to see exactly how much room I can get in there to get it done :)

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Here’s a video of the Flowmaster but it’s much louder in real life. My barber is a block away from my apartment building and knows when I drive by her shop.

I have a manual so it’s easier to short shift around populated areas to be less obnoxious. Drone actually isn’t bad.

I originally bought it to reduce weight, but the high clearance was an added bonus. I’m on 33s and my friends on 37s all had their tailpipes mushed on Poison Spider and Steelbender.

Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance exhaust? 1A49D21F-1CDC-4854-A324-E0147FA4FC48

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Thanks, for this. I was leaning toward a custom solution, but I'd like to route the pipe over the top of the sway bar as some the aftermarket alternatives do. I prefer welding too, and a good weld is less prone to separate and cause a leak. I suspect leaks pose an additional risk when you have a full belly pan reducing air circulation around the exhaust. I've heard too many horror stories of CO leaking into the passenger compartment-- and that in vehicles that don't having inviting holes in the floor.

As to where this thread belongs, I'll leave it up to more seasoned members of the forum. Frankly, the whole thing is befuddling to me, as I see lots of topics that appear to be very similar to this one left in the general area and, again from my limited perspective, threads outside the general forum often seem to languish and die quickly, because they get fewer looks.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
I just had my stock exhaust cut before the rear axle and had a Spintech muffler welded on with a turndown. This muffler is fairly loud (not obnoxious at all) but sounds good as hell with zero drone. If you want quieter just pick a different muffler. All in for less than a few hundred bucks.

Personally, I really don't see the value in these expensive exhaust systems on a Jeep.

Cheers

Sponsored

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
I just had my stock exhaust cut before the rear axle and had a Spintech muffler welded on with a turndown. This muffler is fairly loud (not obnoxious at all) but sounds good as hell with zero drone. If you want quieter just pick a different muffler. All in for less than a few hundred bucks.

Personally, I really don't see the value in these expensive exhaust systems on a Jeep.

Cheers
You got a pic of the turn down?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I have the Borla high tuck system in the touring version and it's great. A bit louder when cold but quickly settles down and zero issues -- and it cleans up the back of the Jeep clearance.

I also like that it's well built out of stainless steel, nice beefy hangars that use the factory rubber mounts, and a 45 minute install of which 20 minutes was waiting for the old slip joints to loosen up with spray oil.

And under $400...

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I ordered the Arctec belly pan yesterday. Before installing that I‘s like to buy and install a cat back exhaust that improves ground clearance. I don’t want more noise just for the sake of noise, so I had settled on the Borla climber cat back exhaust, but I can’t find a deal anywhere. The northridge discount code did nothing, the Morris cyber Monday extension was worthless, and I can’t see any other vender interest. Anybody have alternative exhaust suggestions and/or vendor suggestions? I want 304 stainless, fairly quiet, the notch to accommodate the indexing tab after the cat, and high clearance. Any recommendations?

Consider yourself lucky you can order a Borla Touring Climber...Us 2-door JL guy's (and gal's) are still waiting for 'coming soon' 2-door version...

Listening Borla???

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Consider yourself lucky you can order a Borla Touring Climber...Us 2-door JL guy's (and gal's) are still waiting for 'coming soon' 2-door version...

Listening Borla???
Aftermarket companies to 2 door owners:

giphy-downsized.gif

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation

Listening Borla???
I found the perfect solution (for me). I went down to a local muffler shop that did my wife”s custom exhaust on her mustang fifteen years ago. They have mufflers from Borla, Magnaflo, Flow, Flowmaster, and others in stock, and they do custom mandrel bending right there, so they can quickly match any space or contour. I told them what I wanted and the owner put my Jeep on the lift so we could both get under it, look at the available space, compare, and discuss options.

The guy is first class. Same guys, same place, for 34 years and they do a ton of cool custom work. (There was a cherry custom chevelle on one of the hoists that’s going down to Barret Jackson next week.)

They cut the pipe after the resonator and welded up a great Flow muffler that perfectly fits the space. The pipe hugs the Jeep, runs over the rear sway bar, and terminates where the Borla does. It’s perfect in every way, and it’s welded which, for me, is a better solution.

The other thing that’s great is he offered to stop at the halfway point and slide a variety of different mufflers on, so I could hear the differences in person and make my choice. He’s also done thousands and thousands of exhaust systems, so he was fast and efficient, and his welds were beautiful.

From the time I got there until I was pulling out was just under two hours, and there was plenty of visiting, comparing, and B-S-ing while he worked. I couldn’t be happier.

He could do the same thing with any two-door wrangler tomorrow, though there is less room/less length to insert a muffler.

My out-the-door cost was $400 with no hassle or haggling.

Now I can’t remember why I was ever considering slip-on options.

C33372C0-3E80-4D80-AF4C-3C53FDCEEEBF.jpeg

54F4F844-BB52-4B0D-9C39-46A9A7F92755.jpeg

6F6CC6B3-4C8A-48C8-8C3B-02A4E0CE2554.jpeg

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Listening Borla???
The 4 door touring took a long time to get to the market as well.

As Borla is in California the current new lock downs is sure to further slow progress.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I found the perfect solution (for me). I went down to a local muffler shop that did my wife”s custom exhaust on her mustang fifteen years ago. They have mufflers from Borla, Magnaflo, Flow, Flowmaster, and others in stock, and they do custom mandrel bending right there, so they can quickly match any space or contour.

[snip]

My out-the-door cost was $400 with no hassle or haggling.
Wow! If only we had someone that did custom mandrel bends around here... Congrats on your good fortune.

As for me, still waiting on delivery of my JL AND according to this thread it appears there was a change to the exhaust on the 2021 JLU so most likely my slip-on plan is going to require some fab work after all.

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wow! If only we had someone that did custom mandrel bends around here... Congrats on your good fortune.

As for me, still waiting on delivery of my JL AND according to this thread it appears there was a change to the exhaust on the 2021 JLU so most likely my slip-on plan is going to require some fab work after all.
It seems like there must be somebody wo does that reasonably close. You guys must have hot rod shops, right?

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
It seems like there must be somebody wo does that reasonably close. You guys must have hot rod shops, right?
Nobody around here has a mandrel bender, so if you want a constant cross sectional area you've got to order a pre-made system or piece it together yourself. I've done that before and was hoping to avoid the hassle. Here is the system I build for my CJ-7.

Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance exhaust? Pic262.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance exhaust? Pic264.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance exhaust? Pic265.JPG
Sponsored