Dana 44 Limited Slip

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Hi all. I posted this in the tech section but did not get a response so I thought I would try here. I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with the Dana 44 rear end and a LSD. I have read many posts about the clutch packs failing in these units and I know that mine "clunks" from time to time. It seems that some of the people who have had this problem have received replacements but the replacements seem to be the exact unit (i.e. no fix provided) and there have been significant hassles and delays just getting to that point. My background is in carpentry so if the rear diff was made of wood I could probably solve the problem on my own, but since it is most definitely not wood, I am in a place where I unfortunately have zero aptitude. So knowing what little I do about axles etc. it seems that it would be far easier to install an aftermarket LSD in the Dana 44 than go through all the BS and run around from the dealer and FCA. Is this doable and if so I would love some assistance figuring out which one to purchase.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
How can you be sure the LSD is the issue?

OP
OP
mtbjeep

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
How can you be sure the LSD is the issue?
Fair point as it has not been diagnosed yet. It just seems to be a similar issue to the many threads and posts about the LSD.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Have you changed the gear lube as yet, how many miles on the Jeep?

I would jack the jeep up and confirm it is still working, and if gear lube has not been changed, I would remove the cover and clean it out and refill with good synthetic with the posi additive, Amsoil or Red Line would be my choice.

Have the LSD in our 18 Shara and no issues, have changed the lube twice.

I think most are going to tell you to put a air locker in it, instead of the LSD.

OP
OP
mtbjeep

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I have not changed it yet. 31,000 on the jeep. The noise started about 6 months into ownership. I brought it to the dealer and did a test ride with a tech who confirmed the noise was present. He said that he had no idea what it was and that they would need to take the jeep for an unspecified amount of time to properly diagnose. As of yet I have not been interested in that route.

As I am primarily concerned about snow performance I prefer the LSD to to a locker.

Sponsored

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
The intermittent problems are a PITA to figure out. Sometimes you wish it was a solid failure so you could at least identify what is wrong.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A Detroit Truetrac is a very reliable LSD. Not too expensive either. It can also be used in the front. You could also put a Detroit Locker in the rear, they are clunky and noisy, but always work and will take a lot of abuse. Both require wheel spin to function so, you wont get that locked up rock crawling ability, but they wil do well in mud, dirt and sand. The Detroit Locker is kinda dangerous in snow or rain. My Scout had one and would go sideways in 2wd on slippery surfaces very easy.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I have not changed it yet. 31,000 on the jeep. The noise started about 6 months into ownership. I brought it to the dealer and did a test ride with a tech who confirmed the noise was present. He said that he had no idea what it was and that they would need to take the jeep for an unspecified amount of time to properly diagnose. As of yet I have not been interested in that route.

As I am primarily concerned about snow performance I prefer the LSD to to a locker.
So why havent you changed the gear oil?? All that metal floating around from break in, time to get under your Jeep and do some PM. PM eliminates a lot of the BS, waiting for dealer to do something is a waste of time. I would change the gear lubes and the transfer case.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Firstly, you have a Dana 44, not a Dana 34. Perhaps that explains why few people respond... ;)

Secondly, to my knowledge, there is no aftermarket LSD that fits these new D44 axles. I’ve been looking.

I had a Detroit TrueTrac installed on two of my JK Saharas; those things are awesome. I wish I could do the same on my JL. Yet here we are, four model years into it, and have not been able to find one for these new axles. At this point, I doubt Eaton is going to bother bringing one out. That would be a real bummer.

At some point I think I saw G2 offer an automatic locker for JL D44, but haven’t really looked into it.

Let us know if you find anything else.

OP
OP
mtbjeep

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
So why havent you changed the gear oil?? All that metal floating around from break in, time to get under your Jeep and do some PM. PM eliminates a lot of the BS, waiting for dealer to do something is a waste of time. I would change the gear lubes and the transfer case.
Well I've never personally changed the fluids in any car I've owned barring the washing fluid. Would changing the oil in the diff stop the clunking?

Sponsored

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
I would normally suggest replacement with an Eaton TrueTrac or Powertrax Grip Pro. Both are gear driven limited slips but it doesn't appear that there is a model available for the new JL rear 44.

OP
OP
mtbjeep

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I would normally suggest replacement with an Eaton TrueTrac or Powertrax Grip Pro. Both are gear driven limited slips but it doesn't appear that there is a model available for the new JL rear 44.
Ok. So is replacing the entire rear axle a doable option that makes sense?

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
Change the gear oil and see if it helps. I use Royal Purple gear oil, but have used Amsoil in the past. I off-road a lot and water ford, so I check the fluid often and change the rear fluid ever 6 months, and the front annually. The Royal Purple gear oil has the LSD additive in it as does Amsoil.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Crazy the Eaton hasn’t responded to the new axles with parts yet. Jeep sells about 200k or these a year.

Anyone know who makes the Jeep OEM LSD?

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I've never personally changed the fluids in any car I've owned barring the washing fluid. Would changing the oil in the diff stop the clunking?
Hard to say, could be anything driveline related. Pulling the diff magnet drain plug will show amount of metal shedding, if a paste like appearance probably no issue, if larger chunks , might have an issue.
Sponsored