Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I called up my dealer on Monday to inquire about this and was told a similar story about parts being delayed and that they could not place the order until December 21st - although, the parts manager I spoke with did not mention anything about engineering issues, he attributed it to parts shortages. Then, I received a call today (2 days later) and he stated that he was ale to get the parts ordered and that they will be here in a couple days.

@JeepCares Is there any truth to this that there are engineering issues with the part? I have an appointment for December 8th to have the TSB taken care of. Should I be holding off or should I proceed as planned?

Thanks.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...for-improved-steering-feel.56363/post-1326349
Sponsored

CUtigerInAL

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S, 1995 YJ
I just got my jeep back from having the steering TSB fix done and honestly it's kind of worse than before. There's still a fairly large dead spot in the center of the steering but the wheel now kind of "wakes up" when it leaves the dead spot either left or right with a pulling feel. Not only that but now there's a clicking sound when oscillating around the dead spot.

Here's a video I recorded of the sound the jeep makes now around the dead spot, it did not make this sound prior to the TSB.

I brought it straight back to the dealer who did the fix after driving for 10 minutes and am now waiting to see what can be done.

Anyone else deal with this situation?
I have had the same issue. I was one of the first to get the TSB at my dealership and have been chasing this issue since I bought the jeep. Was really hoping this would fix it. I am not sure if the dealership fixed it correctly or not since the first time I took it in they installed another aluminum gear box, then they realized that wasnā€™t what the tsb called for. Next I realized it was leaking steering fluid from the new Aluminum gear box, which they thought they fixed by snatching a hydraulic line off of another new jeep on the lot (yes a little sketchy, I know), but then I noticed the steering fluid level was low a month later. I took it back and the topped it off. Now I notice that there is still some fluid leaking from the new gear box. On top of all that, the steering still feels like crap (it felt better the first week I had it back with the new Al gear box, but has gotten progressively sloppier since). It is actually scary to drive at times, and I am coming from a 1995 YJ with crap steering. This isnā€™t right for a 2020 vehicle with 6000 miles on it. Honestly, I am thinking the real issue just might be that jeep has too large of a backlash tolerance on the gear box and some people get one that is tighter than others, could also be how they are setting the backlash from the factory. Iā€™m half tempted to tighten it, but donā€™t want jeep coming back and claiming I messed up something.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I took my 2020 JLUR in back in September and the new steering box was placed on order. I still have not received the box. Called the dealer again today and was told that all deliveries have been placed on hold because the new boxes are having problems and FCA is now doing an engineering investigation on them which I am being told will take until December 20th to complete.
Took mine in for an oill change and tire rotation. Service advisor told me that there will be a new or better box released during Christmas week. He said to call first or second week of January to get it fixed. Supposedly I am on the list for the new one.
I called up my dealer on Monday to inquire about this and was told a similar story about parts being delayed and that they could not place the order until December 21st - although, the parts manager I spoke with did not mention anything about engineering issues, he attributed it to parts shortages. Then, I received a call today (2 days later) and he stated that he was ale to get the parts ordered and that they will be here in a couple days.

@JeepCares Is there any truth to this that there are engineering issues with the part? I have an appointment for December 8th to have the TSB taken care of. Should I be holding off or should I proceed as planned?

Thanks.

We apologize for any confusion. The current TSB has the correct part number to service your vehicle, and the process to order the parts has been communicated to all dealers. If you are in need of assistance, please send our team a private message with your dealer and VIN.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

So I finally got the new TSB steering box installed. Started this process in July, now we are in Dec. But now there is a loud hissing noise coming from the steering wheel. If you turn it slightly and hold it in place, it makes that hissing noise for a few seconds, then stops and starts again. When it stops, it jerks the steering wheel. It also makes the noise the entire time you turn. My friends who got the work done at another dealership don't have this issue. Trying to figure out what the noise is coming from and why it is making the noise before I go back to the dealership.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

So I finally got the new TSB steering box installed. Started this process in July, now we are in Dec. But now there is a loud hissing noise coming from the steering wheel. If you turn it slightly and hold it in place, it makes that hissing noise for a few seconds, then stops and starts again. When it stops, it jerks the steering wheel. It also makes the noise the entire time you turn. My friends who got the work done at another dealership don't have this issue. Trying to figure out what the noise is coming from and why it is making the noise before I go back to the dealership.
I believe @ChattVol had same issue and replaced or is having gear replaced.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Sorry to hear that...mine didn't have that same issue. @mgroeger had issues like that and has talked with his dealership several times. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the steering pump...Maybe he can help.. :beer:

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
I have decided to wait for a while for the same reasons. Mine (2020 JLUR) is not so bad that I can always correct by lightly adjusting the steering wheel holding with three fingers. I got Mopar lift LCA and installed them, and that made the Jeep a lot more stable. The temperature is getting cooler, and everything got firmed up so much that I donā€™t feel like I even need the new steering box now. I will wait at least until April to decide for sure. Maybe FCA would come up with updated cast iron steering box.
The temperature is one of the main reasons you should get this done. I live in N.C. and adjusted my steering box when new and still noticed when the days got warmer and I was driving for longer periods of time, after everything was really getting hot the steering would feel worse. After doing the TSB the problem was fixed. Adjusting the steering box is only a temporary fix for a problem that is still there.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Might be the steering pump. Open the hood and have someone move the steering wheel. See if the sound is originating from under the steering fluid reservoir. Others have reported steering pump problems after the new steering box was installed.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear that...mine didn't have that same issue. @mgroeger had issues like that and has talked with his dealership several times. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the steering pump...Maybe he can help.. :beer:
@Jeep Generation
WTH is that?!?!?! That is beyond not normal. It sounds like your pump is struggling against the new gear box. That is seriously not normal or good and I personally would not be driving it that way. First thing that comes to mind is did they do a software update that is REQUIRED with the new pump? If they did then the next thing would be to replace the pump (I had that done as well).
I would highly recommend reaching out to @JeepCares and get them on your side with this. The fact that the dealership let that go out the door with that kind of noise coming from the steering is a huge red flag. How anyone could think that is normal is beyond me.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
So the noise is coming from the pump. They also overfilled the reservoir , it was gushing out all over the place, and they didn't bleed the system. Maybe if it was bled, it wouldn't have been so full in the reservoir. It sounds better now, but still making noise.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So the noise is coming from the pump. They also overfilled the reservoir , it was gushing out all over the place, and they didn't bleed the system. Maybe if it was bled, it wouldn't have been so full in the reservoir. It sounds better now, but still making noise.
The steering pump can usually be heard even when all is good. Did you remove some of the fluid so it is in between the full marks? And how does it steer now?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The ONLY noise the pump should be making is an electric "whine" and that can be very quiet or in some cases pretty annoying. Did they confirm they also did the software update? To help bleed the system out turn the wheel full cock abck and forth multiple times. Personally I would get the engine good and hot like after a good drive and then turn the wheel like that or do some figure 8s at full cock. The fluid should be like 1/4 the way up the bottle, i.e... most of the bottle is empty.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
The steering pump can usually be heard even when all is good. Did you remove some of the fluid so it is in between the full marks? And how does it steer now?
The ONLY noise the pump should be making is an electric "whine" and that can be very quiet or in some cases pretty annoying. Did they confirm they also did the software update? To help bleed the system out turn the wheel full cock abck and forth multiple times. Personally I would get the engine good and hot like after a good drive and then turn the wheel like that or do some figure 8s at full cock. The fluid should be like 1/4 the way up the bottle, i.e... most of the bottle is empty.
@JeepCares

Its better now that it was bled, but still makes the whine noise and jerks if held in one spot other than straight for 5-10 secs, which was not there before. My friend had the work done also at another dealership, and his cant be heard from inside the Jeep. Now the dealership is not answering me. I asked about the software update when I got the Jeep back, they pointed at the paper and said, "the paper says it was done". People were saying that their presets were cleared out after doing the software update and reset from this work. Mine wasn't, but my friends was. So not sure if it actually took place. Can they do the update without clearing out your presets? The dead space is gone and it does drives better now. The whining noise and jerking does make me worry.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares

Its better now that it was bled, but still makes the whine noise and jerks if held in one spot other than straight for 5-10 secs, which was not there before. My friend had the work done also at another dealership, and his cant be heard from inside the Jeep. Now the dealership is not answering me. I asked about the software update when I got the Jeep back, they pointed at the paper and said, "the paper says it was done". People were saying that their presets were cleared out after doing the software update and reset from this work. Mine wasn't, but my friends was. So not sure if it actually took place. Can they do the update without clearing out your presets? The dead space is gone and it does drives better now. The whining noise and jerking does make me worry.
The software update does not guarantee a reset. Mine was reset my wife's wasn't. It all depends on the pr-existing build code number so I wouldn't stress about that.
The whine is "normal" to a degree. It shouldn't be excessive, mine was excessive enough to merit a new pump, my wife's wasn't.
I don't quite follow the jerk motion, that doesn't sound normal. If you could post a vid of teh whine and jerk motion that would be great.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
The software update does not guarantee a reset. Mine was reset my wife's wasn't. It all depends on the pr-existing build code number so I wouldn't stress about that.
The whine is "normal" to a degree. It shouldn't be excessive, mine was excessive enough to merit a new pump, my wife's wasn't.
I don't quite follow the jerk motion, that doesn't sound normal. If you could post a vid of teh whine and jerk motion that would be great.

Here is the sound and wheel jerking. If you turn it in any direction other than straight, it makes that sound. If you turn it and hold it, this isn't full lock either, it will stop making the noise for a split second every so often and jerk the steering wheel. You can see it jerk the wheel when the noise stops.
Sponsored