Sponsored

Mopar front trail camera

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
As with many JL owners, I also am searching for a good solution for a front trail camera. Just can't bring myself to go the Tazer route with a grainy 480i image, still not convinced that the cargo camera input on the OEM 8.4 Uconnect will not accept something greater than 480i resolution...
The video input for the uconnect is the older RCA component video (the yellow video cable). The max resolution supported by that is 480. It will not support something greater than that without significant modification that I don't think will ever exist outside of a new head unit.
Sponsored

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
I ordered it on my 392, itā€™s going to work great on Black Bear Pass - No more spotter on the switch backs!

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr
I am using a mirror cam that has front video and has a plug in camera that I'm using for the rear image but you could position that camera on your front grill if you wanted. Less than $100 on amazon and image quality is pretty good. Plus is auto records.

As with many JL owners, I also am searching for a good solution for a front trail camera. Just can't bring myself to go the Tazer route with a grainy 480i image, still not convinced that the cargo camera input on the OEM 8.4 Uconnect will not accept something greater than 480i resolution...I also do not want any 'temporary' mount using an iPad, want a clean & clutter free install. Easiest solution would be for Mopar to offer a retro-kit which would allow switching between the backup camera and trail camera, doubt that will happen anytime soon if ever...

I did come across this HD FullVEU mirror from Brandmotion. Their website says it only works with their camera at this time but to check back for updates. I sent their technical support team an email asking what would be required for this to work with the OEM front trail camera, this would be an ideal solution for my needs if it can be made to work!

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 7.52.59 AM.png

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Does a winch or bull bar ruin the view?

My ā€˜21 Suburban has a front camera and it is way more useful than i first imagined. Iā€™d like this feature on my Jeep but not if the view will be obstructed.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Does a winch or bull bar ruin the view?

My ā€˜21 Suburban has a front camera and it is way more useful than i first imagined. Iā€™d like this feature on my Jeep but not if the view will be obstructed.

Here is a picture of a Z Automotive (Tazer) camera install (from the Gladiator forum) on a JT with an aftermarket bumper W/Bullbar...The Bullbar, at least in this picture is not as much of an obstruction as I thought it might be. As for the Tazer camera itself, I have seen three JL installs in person and in two of the three, the image was grainy enough that I would not have accepted it. One was marginal but livable for trail use, same shop installed them so I can only assume the difference was due to variables in camera quality...

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar front trail camera Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.45.40 AM

Sponsored

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
This is the view from the mopar '21 option with a medium warn bull bar and a nilight light bar. It works well enough for placing tires on rocks and not needing a spotter for some things. With the mopar head unit, you probably won't get better quality since the video input just can't support greater than 480

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar front trail camera 20201206_124213_HDR~2

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar front trail camera 20201206_124502

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
This is the view from the mopar '21 option with a medium warn bull bar and a nilight light bar. It works well enough for placing tires on rocks and not needing a spotter for some things. With the mopar head unit, you probably won't get better quality since the video input just can't support greater than 480
The factory front trail cam is high definition. With this option an extra video processing module is added that connects to all of the cameras and the one high definition input on the radio.

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Any update on this?
Is there now an option to get/install the factory trail cam afterward?

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Any update on this?
Is there now an option to get/install the factory trail cam afterward?
I picked up my JLUR 3.26.21 and realized that the forward trail cam was not part of a package as I had thought, but a completely separate add on that I unfortunately did not add on. So, I asked the dealer to get with the parts department and see whether they can add it on after the fact. Their answer was no, they do not have the parts yet. But that's just one dealer, I think I am going to call around. I could go without the spray, but I would like to have the camera.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I would imagine that it will be a Mopar accessory before long, how long is anybody's guess. I had to get a replacement for my Tazer camera, never did hear back from them regarding the total lack of quality on theirs. My advice is to NEVER buy ANYTHING from Tazer. The company is a joke.

That's so weird coming form a company that seems to be proud of the fact they take absolutely no responsibility for their product. Says so in big letters on the inside of the box lid so it's the first thing you see.

I sure hope they don't get into pilot training or the medical field.:facepalm:

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares I just got back from a 30 day Jeep trip around the country.

I stopped at several Jeep dealers, none had any idea how to order a trail cam.

Is this something you can clear the air on? Thanks you've been awesome!
Sponsored