Sponsored

Will the 2 Door Rubican get the Diesel or Hemi ?

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6
I love my 2018 2 Door Rubican,

it has the V6 and I havent been wanting on the power yet,

but who wouldnt have the extra torque that the Diesel would have or that kick in the pants of the hemi?
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Doubt it. The diesel is too heavy for the short wheelbase and the Hemi is too powerful for the short wheelbase.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
FCA said at the JL EcoDiesel launch there would be no 2-door version for two big reasons.

1) sales volume too low
2) fitting the emissions plumbing would shrink the gas tank too small

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea, I don't see it happening because of sales and probably engineering issues. I really hope they eventually get the hybrid system into the 2-doors, though.

OP
OP
Francis405

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, I don't see it happening because of sales and probably engineering issues. I really hope they eventually get the hybrid system into the 2-doors, though.
The 3.6 V6 is only about 75 lbs lighter than the diesel.

They need to give some love to the 2 Door or Jeep could lose a good chunk of their 2 Door customers to the 2 Door Bronco.

Those Ford Ecoboost in the Broncos are highly tunable engines, you can get 500 h.p. out of the larger one pretty easily.

Remember when FCA wanted to merge with G.M.?

That small 4 cylinder diecel cummins thats in the Colorado would be perfect in the 2 door.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
The 3.6 V6 is only about 75 lbs lighter than the diesel.

They need to give some love to the 2 Door or Jeep could lose a good chunk of their 2 Door customers to the 2 Door Bronco.

Those Ford Ecoboost in the Broncos are highly tunable engines, you can get 500 h.p. out of the larger one pretty easily.

Remember when FCA wanted to merge with G.M.?

That small 4 cylinder diecel cummins thats in the Colorado would be perfect in the 2 door.
Remember that the 2.8 that’s in the Colorado is basically the same motor that was in the Liberty a few years ago. It’s almost as heavy as the 3.0. The fuel tank would be a biggie-gotta have a DEF tank-on my Ram it’s 8 gallons and I’d guess on the Jeep it would be similar. I wish they’d give us the 2.0 diesel sold overseas...

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
FCA said at the JL EcoDiesel launch there would be no 2-door version for two big reasons.

1) sales volume too low
2) fitting the emissions plumbing would shrink the gas tank too small
I don't know anymore. Jeep told us for years there'd never be a Hemi in a Wrangler because of fuel economy and crash safety and yet here we are. If Ford annihilates Jeep in 2-door sales of the Bronco, maybe they'll change their mind.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
All the power would do is make you swap ends when your foot got too heavy.

OP
OP
Francis405

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remember that the 2.8 that’s in the Colorado is basically the same motor that was in the Liberty a few years ago. It’s almost as heavy as the 3.0. The fuel tank would be a biggie-gotta have a DEF tank-on my Ram it’s 8 gallons and I’d guess on the Jeep it would be similar. I wish they’d give us the 2.0 diesel sold overseas...
You're right, I was researching it and the 2.8 i4 Duramax in the Colorado weighs 520 lbs , 20 lbs more than the 3.0 6 cyl ecodiesel in the Jeep.

"The 2.8L Duramax is based on the VM Motori A428; at the time of its development, GM was a major stakeholder in Italian manufacturer VM Motori. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) would later buy GM's entire stake in VM Motori, however GM retained the right to manufacturer the 2.8L diesel for applications in the U.S. The 2.8L Duramax is manufactured at GM's assembly plant in Rayong, Thailand."

Ironically, both diesels are made by the same Italian company.

I can't help but think that we would be better off having Cummins develop a small diesel for our jeeps.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I wish they’d give us the 2.0 diesel sold overseas...
would be nice to fit a diesel in a 2 door jl. the big problem with the oversea diesel is that it doesnt fall in the emission guidelines for the us.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
the thing with diesel and hemi option wranglers is that fca want to put them in higher trim line up. also keep them in a 4 door line up since the 4 doors are the top sellers. this is how fca (and other brands) will force buyers in buying the higher price vehicle.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
The take rate on the 2-door is already too low to make it profitable. Now it’s debatable that the 2-door is less popular because of the lack of options. IMO they need to make the 2-door more like the LJ to have it survive. A bit longer wheelbase and more cargo volume would make it easier to stomach for people. That is one of the coolest parts of the Bronco though, it’s about the size of an LJ and you can get a base 2-door with the Sasquatch (lockers 35’s etc) AND the upgraded V6 engine for like $38k. That’s a steal.