Sponsored

Willys Edition JL Club Thread

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
@MedicineMan4040

Jeep makes a Block Heater available on the Willys new for $95, though the manual says you don't need it until temps become much colder than you're likley to see around your home. (i ordered my Diesel Willys with one because i travel.) any reason that won't work for you?

Hello Willys owners!
I'm new to Jeep, will be new to Willys/Wrangler/new to this forum....but I did post in the general thread where to post Willys specific topics.

Learned to shift on a Jeep 55 years ago...looks they've changed a bit.

Currently in negotiations with a dealer, should be an owner within a month. Was hell bent on going the order route through a dealer but found almost everything 100 miles away. Emotion said Sarge Green but logic told me Sting Grey would look cleaner easier.

I have two questions please.
1. Will this tire work on my 2021 Willys out of box without lift or spacers. We use a smaller version on a camper van it is has saved us many times.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&partnum=875SR7KO2
I'd like to go as big as possible on the 17s without lift or spacing.

2. Even though I live in the southeast U.S. the last two days haven't cracked the freezing mark, we live at 4000 feet and currently there is 8 inches of snow in my driveway.
What to expect from the diesel engine in the cold?
I will get getting remote start and will add an engine block heater when I can find one that is approved by Jeep on the diesel model.

Why a Willys? Seemed like a perfect compromise between the upper tiers and the lower ones. I'm more on function and won't be rock crawling....just the ability to deal with 8-12 inches of snow would be nice. The wife is also do another vehicle in a bit less than a year and she's going Subaru outback; so between the Willys and the Subaru we should be able to get out most of the time if abs. necessary.

Thanks for letting me enter the Jeep world-very excited!
Robert
Sponsored

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys
@MedicineMan4040

Jeep makes a Block Heater available on the Willys new for $95, though the manual says you don't need it until temps become much colder than you're likley to see around your home. (i ordered my Diesel Willys with one because i travel.) any reason that won't work for you?
Thanks I'll def. Add one. Coldest ever where I'm sitting was -32F. That was in 1982. Lately we only reach -10 to -12 in mid January to mid February. So far we've hit 15F. Its cold that matters here for an engine booting up but for us humans it is the humidity and wind here that are more painful.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
sounds like you're a good candidate for it.

from the Users Manual:
"Its use is recommended for environments that
routinely fall below -10°F (-23°C). It should be
used when the vehicle has not been running
overnight or longer periods and should be
plugged in two hours prior to start. Its use is
required for cold starts with temperatures
under -20°F (-28°C)."

Thanks I'll def. Add one. Coldest ever where I'm sitting was -32F. That was in 1982. Lately we only reach -10 to -12 in mid January to mid February. So far we've hit 15F. Its cold that matters here for an engine booting up but for us humans it is the humidity and wind here that are more painful.

MillWillys

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mills
New to Jeep’s and off-roading but very happy with our new 2021 Willys. its already hit the trails and blown through the mud with ease. We originally got her as a dinghy tow for our Winnie and added the sun rider soft top, but now that we‘ve experienced off-roading, some bigger tires and lift are coming soon 😂.

2DF4C4F4-F60E-4D97-9F3B-CB926C846315.jpeg

99273526-BA8F-4F11-BF7C-C5F71237CC01.jpeg

dmc1068

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4dr JL and 2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys 2dr JL
Looking to move to your neck of the woods when I retire in April.

Sponsored

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys
sounds like you're a good candidate for it.

from the Users Manual:
"Its use is recommended for environments that
routinely fall below -10°F (-23°C). It should be
used when the vehicle has not been running
overnight or longer periods and should be
plugged in two hours prior to start. Its use is
required for cold starts with temperatures
under -20°F (-28°C)."
Thanks Zouch and I promise to read the manual when my Willys is in hand, currenty waiting on an anuity pay out before I can officially shop.
Looks like you shouldn't plug in the block heater the night before either considering the 2 hour before plug in they suggest.

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
Looks like you shouldn't plug in the block heater the night before either considering the 2 hour before plug in they suggest.
You can plug it in overnight, the 2 hours before is so it has time to do its job, plugging in only a 1/2 hour before will not heat it up correctly.

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys
You can plug it in overnight, the 2 hours before is so it has time to do its job, plugging in only a 1/2 hour before will not heat it up correctly.
Awesome Rob thanks. We will reach a point here where we'll not break 15F for weeks at a time. Maybe the block heater isn't abs. necessary but I can't see it hurting anything. You? I was jus looking at the Mopar grill covers. It said don't put on when over 40F. That's not a worry here either.

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
It will not hurt anything having it for sure. Cheaper option for a jeep too. I should add keeping it plugged in all the time is really no benefit but using electricity. I would say over 4/5 hours would be a waste in my opinion. It can be safety plugged in longer but no real benefit.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
like RobAmy, i read the "2 hour" statement as a minimum amount of time, not a max.
i'd suggest plugging it into a time to start up a couple of hours before you're ready to use it.

BTW, you don't have to buy the J**p to read the manual; they're available for download online, which is very convenient since it's searchable.

Thanks Zouch and I promise to read the manual when my Willys is in hand, currenty waiting on an anuity pay out before I can officially shop.

Sponsored

greg707

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Renegade
About to order a Willys! Stupid question- Do the skid plates need removed before the mopar tube steps could be installed? I really want the tube steps but see the factory standard skid plates might be in the way.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
About to order a Willys! Stupid question- Do the skid plates need removed before the mopar tube steps could be installed? I really want the tube steps but see the factory standard skid plates might be in the way.
Yes, you need to remove the skid plates in order to install the tube steps.