DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I was somewhat concerned about the E-torque system until I read the 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty.
That’s really very good to know! I also believe that the etorque lithium-ion based battery is more stable and less prone to failure and much more capable of deep cycling in contrast to the basic lead-acid batteries that become almost useless if they die even once, let alone twice or thrice.
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had to replace their auxiliary battery yet?

I ask because my auxiliary battery needs replacing at the 42 month ownership of my MB G63. The service light came on for replacement a few months ago. Does not/Did not affect start-up or normal driving... Is this similar to the auxiliary battery in the JL?
I’m taking it to the dealer next month for my annual service & before it’s winter storage. Can’t wait to see my bill, lol...

TY/Cheers,
B
my 18 JL went through 4 aux batteries and 3 main batteries. Many, many other JL owners have had multiple aux batteries. There are even some that trickle charge their jeeps, which is insane to me. No one should have to trickle charge a brand new vehicle unless it’s sitting unused for extended periods.

my 21 has eTorque and I’m much happier with it.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, my 2018 is the 2.0T eTorque w/ESS, and my wife’s 2020 is the 3.6 eTorque w/ESS. I have 16K+ on my 2018; it has been flawless. My wife’s has less than 800 miles and has been flawless. The only thing I notice between the two at the end of the ESS event is that you can feel the restart a little bit with the 3.6, but I attribute that to it being a larger displacement engine with more cylinders.

I have wheeled mine off-road a number of times, fairly hard and over heavily/thickly vegetated uneven ground. The cooling lines, and all other lines, have never been snagged/damaged.

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
^^^ (Rob/Bill/Jeff)/Gents,
Tks for your responses.
so, both the 2.0 & 3.6 have an auxiliary battery, correct?
If you can answer this, this will determine which JL I order.

TYIA/Cheers,
B

Jack Arthur

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L
3.6 Automatic transmission does not (manual transmission does) have auxiliary battery for 2021. 3.6 automatic is eTorque.

Sponsored

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
^^^ TYVM, Jack!
Made my day.
Cheers/B

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
E-Torque used a belt drive motor generator and 48 volt battery under the rear left side of the vehicle , including a skid plate to protect the battery pack( Briefcase size with cooling lines). Seems like people are confusing the regular ESS systems with the E-Torque system...
I just special ordered a 2021, 2-door Rubicon from the factory. 3.6L V6, with automatic transmission. I still can't find definitive info on the rear 48V battery pack.

Exactly where is is mounted on a 2-door? Is the 48V battery pack air cooled, or water cooled? Is the rear battery inside the vehicle, under the rear seat, or is it underneath the vehicle?

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e torque is a 48v liquid cooled battery pack located under the jeep. This controls ESS electronic start/stop as there is no alternator. These vehicles have a belt start generator that provides the initial ( and I mean fraction of a second) turn of the wheels before the engine kicks on. E torque is a much more reliable and smoother operation than “aux battery”.
This sounds correct to me, but do you have an actual link to this info, specifically for the 2021 Wrangler with the 3.6 V6 and auto trans? I have not been able to find a link.

Is the 48V battery liquid or air cooled? Is it inside the vehicle in the rear, or under the vehicle? Some websites state the 48V battery is air cooled, but that may apply to the RAM pickup only. I am not sure.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This sounds correct to me, but do you have an actual link to this info, specifically for the 2021 Wrangler with the 3.6 V6 and auto trans? I have not been able to find a link.

Is the 48V battery liquid or air cooled? Is it inside the vehicle in the rear, or under the vehicle? Some websites state the 48V battery is air cooled, but that may apply to the RAM pickup only. I am not sure.
JL’s 48V battery is liquid cooled. You’ll see a 2nd coolant reservoir under the hood of your 3.6

The lines run underneath the Jeep to the rear where the battery is mounted outside the body.

Yes, Ram has an air cooled version.

F346BF91-93ED-4376-BD1C-0C24574DC672.png

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL’s 48V battery is liquid cooled. You’ll see a 2nd coolant reservoir under the hood of your 3.6

The lines run underneath the Jeep to the rear where the battery is mounted outside the body.

Yes, Ram has an air cooled version.
Thanks for the info and the photo. Supposedly the JL has a 30" water fording capability. Does this mean that the 48V battery is totally sealed, and capable of being totally submerged under water?

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Thanks for the info and the photo. Supposedly the JL has a 30" water fording capability. Does this mean that the 48V battery is totally sealed, and capable of being totally submerged under water?
Yes

msdesignltd

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler Recon unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Do you really think a 2.0 litre engine could pull a 45 hundred pound car off the line without e thrust?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From here (https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/tools/articles.aspx?article=Wrangler_Etorque_Technology&type=4)

Long story short, the belt-driven starter/generator replaces both the alternator and the starter on the eTorque models. It performs both functions in the same unit. It's powered by that 48V battery in the cabin.
My 2021 Rubicon, 3.6L with e-torque has both a traditional starter and the e-torque belt-starter-generator (BSG).

From the link above:

Because of its greater efficiency in extreme temperatures, both the 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine and the Turbocharged 2.0L I4 engine with Jeep eTorque technology will keep a traditional 12-volt starter motor, which is ideal for cold starts and the initial start of the day.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2021 Rubicon, 3.6L with e-torque has both a traditional starter and the e-torque belt-starter-generator (BSG).

From the link above:

Because of its greater efficiency in extreme temperatures, both the 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine and the Turbocharged 2.0L I4 engine with Jeep eTorque technology will keep a traditional 12-volt starter motor, which is ideal for cold starts and the initial start of the day.
True indeed. The morning crank and every non-ESS crank is always accomplished with the traditional starter and every ESS crank is accomplished with the BSG. The sound between the starter starting the engine and the BSG starting the engine are completely different. The BSG starts the engine much quicker and quieter.
Sponsored