First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Wife is 5’4” and has trouble getting in our 4 door sport ecodiesel stock. I have a 4.5” Evo lift coming and 37” km3s. So I’m assuming an extra 5.5” of height.
So many better places to put your money, but again this is very subjective.

I can, however, provide a solution for vote:

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 8.53.44 PM.png
Sponsored

jlgolfcart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JLRU
Planned on buying Rock slide power steps, but I’m cheap. Can afford them, but are they worth it? Won’t a $400 set of steps suffice? Wife wants power steps. I could put that money towards something else lol.
I was going to go with rockslides but I just ordered LOD Armor Lite rock sliders from Northridge4x4 there on sale for Black Friday

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Went ahead and bought a set of RSE sliders from northridge. Regular 1899 down to 1709 and you get the LED light kit for free, $62 worth of free. Paid for Thursday night and I’ll have them Monday. Pretty good turnaround.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Those MORE steps are pretty interesting concept. Certainly cheaper. Is the fitting that stays under the rock rail totally out of the way it hit?

Sponsored

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
I know a lot of folks think M.O.R.E hide-a-step(s) are over-priced, but I love them and they’re significantly less expensive than power-steps, however provide similar functionality AND they’re easy to detach when needed/off-road.

Main reason I went with them was that similar to power steps, they’re only visible (mostly) when needed and extend down + for 4 of them was roughly $500; however you could also just do 2 if needed. In the end, much cheaper than power steps, still maintain the stock look, works with Rubicon rock rails and are A LOT easier to install.
  • If I had gone power steps, I’d have done the kind for $1800 that can go off-road... I’m cool with using a spring vs. electric for a $1300 savings

Jeep Wrangler JL Power steps really worth it? Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 8.53.44 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL Power steps really worth it? Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 8.53.44 PM

i need to buy these i was worried how they would look your pix were perfect ! thanks must purchase now

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
darn i forgot to write lol i installed my buddies rock slide engineering steps yesterday . install with some1 to help is waaaay easier they weigh a bit , wiring is easy for me so that part was a breeze, hiding wires and being anal with every little zip tie and being clean can be a blessing and nightmare at times lol but the install went great - directions are so easy a monkey could do it one handed . had to relocate rock lights as they were covered by the brackets so it took a little longer
if i was looking to get them - i would in a heartbeat - these things are gorgeous, great coating , heavy heavy duty , came shipped like it was glass , they work great ,and u can also stand ontop of the lip on the rails to get easier access to roof. and you can purchase another part to make it even more protective .
heres a video i took of them when we wired them up ..

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
darn i forgot to write lol i installed my buddies rock slide engineering steps yesterday . install with some1 to help is waaaay easier they weigh a bit , wiring is easy for me so that part was a breeze, hiding wires and being anal with every little zip tie and being clean can be a blessing and nightmare at times lol but the install went great - directions are so easy a monkey could do it one handed . had to relocate rock lights as they were covered by the brackets so it took a little longer
if i was looking to get them - i would in a heartbeat - these things are gorgeous, great coating , heavy heavy duty , came shipped like it was glass , they work great ,and u can also stand ontop of the lip on the rails to get easier access to roof. and you can purchase another part to make it even more protective .
heres a video i took of them when we wired them up ..

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Went ahead and bought a set of RSE sliders from northridge. Regular 1899 down to 1709 and you get the LED light kit for free, $62 worth of free. Paid for Thursday night and I’ll have them Monday. Pretty good turnaround.
you do not have to fully remove the kick panels to do the wires . u do not have to remove the carpet or cut the slits either , just slip it under and pull from other side . get yourself a breaker bar or good impact to loosen body bolts - install the magnets to the doors 1/4" under the lower bolt on the door youll see better in the directions . dont worry about the color of the wires going to the steps when you plug them in.
the wire color will not match up red / black wires
when plugged in they work dont worry all in all everything is easy youll have no problem as long as u have help to get them installed - also - be sure to line up that seal exactly 1/2 " below the body line each side , cause if your anal like me and its off a little you will notice , so use tape or line it up good scream at me if u have questions i just did it again yesterday so its fresh in my head lol

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I highly recommend you mark the position of the magnets on the doors. I suggest that you use a metal scribe around the magnet so you can see if the magnetic moves. The alignment of the magnet is critical. If the magnet moves the step will not retract. The actuator bar for the steps is not robust and can be damaged.
I also recommend the skid plate for the steps.
Overall the steps are great.

Sponsored

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
So how do the power steps handle off road? Do they work as well as true rock slider when scraping across a Boulder? Do they need to be disengaged? Very worried about destoying a $2k step or have it not give he expected protection.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
So how do the power steps handle off road? Do they work as well as true rock slider when scraping across a Boulder? Do they need to be disengaged? Very worried about destoying a $2k step or have it not give he expected protection.
they alone will work as good/better than your rock rail/ slider , mild to moderate trails
but if your doing more serious crawling u need the extra added protection skid plate -
the steps can be locked up or down - so locked down lets say for show or some silly reason u wanted them down - they can be locked up incase ur on trails and dont want them to come down if u happen to open the door to look around or peek at your line -
also they need to be greased now and then so they work as smooth as they did the day you got them - also the lights are 12 volt so u can add any color u wish as long as they are 12 volt - which if any1 knows led 12 volt lights are cheap as snot.
my other buddy has them and loves them to death . im sure others will chime in and let you know more or correct me if im wrong ..

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
they alone will work as good/better than your rock rail/ slider , mild to moderate trails
but if your doing more serious crawling u need the extra added protection skid plate -
the steps can be locked up or down - so locked down lets say for show or some silly reason u wanted them down - they can be locked up incase ur on trails and dont want them to come down if u happen to open the door to look around or peek at your line -
also they need to be greased now and then so they work as smooth as they did the day you got them - also the lights are 12 volt so u can add any color u wish as long as they are 12 volt - which if any1 knows led 12 volt lights are cheap as snot.
my other buddy has them and loves them to death . im sure others will chime in and let you know more or correct me if im wrong ..
I completely agree that you turn off the steps when there is any chance of the steps hitting a rock. There is a very strong chance of damage to the actuator bar and motor if the steps deploy onto rocks and can't fully extend. Worse yet is if the steps hang up of rocks while deployed and you try to retract them. If the bar detaches from the motor the steps will hang lose and swing freely. The only recourse if that happens is to zip tie the step up and turn off the slider. From personal experience if the bar is damaged you will need to replace both the bar and motor. RSE may not cover the damage under warranty if it is caused by operator error. Again I highly recommend getting the optional skid plates.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I can solve this for $40 with no maintenance!!

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase