Sponsored

M220 Axle on my JLUS by mistake!

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
This topic always confuses me. Can someone help me understand the axles better?

I was under the impression the D44 Rubicon axles were 1.5" wider than the sport/Sahara axles. If so are the track widths different F to R for limited-slip diff jeeps?

Also the M200, M220, etc. Does that refer to the ring gear diameter? If so is that a separate spec than the axle width itself? Like can you have "narrow/sport/sahara" axle housing with a M220 ring gear size?
Sponsored

Niz

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I just looked at my ‘21 Willy’s and have a M220 rear, this was not listed on the window sticker. Could this be part of the willys package?
Jeep Wrangler JL M220 Axle on my JLUS by mistake! AC010290-C0E8-46C1-AA68-EA0DA0AED6AA

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I just looked at my ‘21 Willy’s and have a M220 rear, this was not listed on the window sticker. Could this be part of the willys package?
Just to refresh everyone on this topic, ordering the limited slip option, or if the limited slip is part of your package (Willys, etc) you get the stronger M220 D44 standard width rear axle.

If you got a Sport / Sahara or whatever and it doesn't include the limited slip you most likely will have the D35 rear end and it will snap in half the first time you hit gravel.... not really, but having a D44 on the back is the better option, so make sure your order includes the limited slip in non Rubicon applications.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Just to refresh everyone on this topic, ordering the limited slip option, or if the limited slip is part of your package (Willys, etc) you get the stronger M220 D44 standard width rear axle.

If you got a Sport / Sahara or whatever and it doesn't include the limited slip you most likely will have the D35 rear end and it will snap in half the first time you hit gravel.... not really, but having a D44 on the back is the better option, so make sure your order includes the limited slip in non Rubicon applications.
I made sure my JLU Sport had the LSD option as I do some light off-roading and figured it was worth having it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I made sure my JLU Sport had the LSD option as I do some light off-roading and figured it was worth having it.
Same here. I bought mine off the lot and it was either get the Sahara with the better sound system, or get the Sahara with the LSD. I picked the one with the LSD.

Sponsored

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79' Corvette 4 spd. 21'Willys 2dr. 6 spd.
Occupation
Retired
Back to the OP's original inquiry or statement about having the M220, I have a 1979 Corvette. It was supposed to come with a Saginaw 4 speed. Like the OP having an upgraded axle free mine actually has the Borg-Warner 4 spd. upgrade. As someone mentioned early on I think sometimes they will stuff in the car whatever is on the assembly line. They certain'y aren't stopping it to get the right axle or tranny.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Back to the OP's original inquiry or statement about having the M220, I have a 1979 Corvette. It was supposed to come with a Saginaw 4 speed. Like the OP having an upgraded axle free mine actually has the Borg-Warner 4 spd. upgrade. As someone mentioned early on I think sometimes they will stuff in the car whatever is on the assembly line. They certain'y aren't stopping it to get the right axle or tranny.
if you read this thread you’d know that this wasn’t that in this case.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Clue me in, what was it? I read 90% of the posts.
Literally my post right before yours summarizes how to get the dana 44. OP had a manual transmission. He did not get a dana 44 by mistake.

Last edited: