Sponsored

New JL is causing right shoulder back pain help!

CAPTAIN PORKINS

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 2018 Harley Roadglide 2004 Harley Softail Heritage
Had a 2019 Rubicon JL and now a 20 Gladiator Rubicon in BOTH I am finding my right shoulder blade aches while driving it. None of my previous JK, TJ or YJ or XJ units since 1992 have ever done this. Looking for some ideas or help I'm perplexed. I'm 6'4" and 215 so not overweight or don't think I am :)

Any comments suggestions or similar exp?

Thanks
Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Awesome first post. Sorry can't help w your shoulder. My left one hurts.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Do you have a wallet in your back pocket? Kills my back when I leave it in.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
My left shoulder hurts more now as well. I am certain that it has NOTHING to do with age!!!

I do believe that my frequency to drive with windows down and left arm resting on the window sill has drastically increased. The height of the sill from the seat is greater than with my other vehicles so I am almost certain that this is a contributing factor.

also on the wallet issue. I have found the same thing. So now if I am in the jeep any longer than 20 minutes the wallet is out and in the center console.

On a side note with some humor, my wife recommended that I possibly not drive the Jeep so much to help with my shoulder pain. NOT A CHANCE!!!!

Last edited:

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Old age hurts, and it's f'kng itchy too. I went to physical therapy after I shattered my old ass knee and the therapist gave me hell about driving with a wallet in my back pocket for 6 weeks even though I wasn't there for back problems. At least the knee explosion didn't itch, but the scar does...

Sponsored

OP
OP
CAPTAIN PORKINS

CAPTAIN PORKINS

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 2018 Harley Roadglide 2004 Harley Softail Heritage
Old age hurts, and it's f'kng itchy too. I went to physical therapy after I shattered my old ass knee and the therapist gave me hell about driving with a wallet in my back pocket for 6 weeks even though I wasn't there for back problems. At least the knee explosion didn't itch, but the scar does...
no wallet in the pocket at all, who has money left after buying one of these anyway. Just right shoulder pain, I’m perplexed for sure here

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
"gangsta lean
A common driving position in which the driver holds the wheel with his left hand while leaning to his right toward the passenger seat, usually bobbing his head or bumpin' with the beat. It's a pretty badass way to drive. This move works best in a Chevy Caprice or any pimp-style car with a 3-person front seat.

"...with a hellafied gangsta lean, gettin' funky on da mike like an ol' bunch of collard greens..." -Snoop Dogg

Sammy was gangsta leanin' so hard yesterday that his head was partially out the passenger window. What a pimp."

no wallet in the pocket at all, who has money left after buying one of these anyway. Just right shoulder pain, I’m perplexed for sure here
Are you leaning into the center console? I noticed it doesn't have much in the way of padding, it actually hurts my elbow on long drives. It's gotta be something with ergonomics. Possibly you are one of the people who's back doesn't like these wrangler seats, I know back problems can lead to shoulder pain also. Or is it possible that you don't have enough leg room and are twisting up while you drive? I'm only 6'1" and I feel any less leg room would be torture on myself.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A key difference between JK and JL is that, in order to fit the 8-speed transmission, it needed a larger hump on the floor. This in turn resulted in foot wells that are much narrower than those in JK, and the front seats mounted 1 inch higher from the floor and 1 inch closer to the top.

I am 6’0” and the back of my head sits very close to the sound bar. Since you are tall, I wonder if you are subconsciously tilting your head forward or shrugging your shoulders, putting sustained pressure on your upper back.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

A key difference between JK and JL is that, in order to fit the 8-speed transmission, it needed a larger hump on the floor. This in turn resulted in foot wells that are much narrower than those in JK, and the front seats mounted 1 inch higher from the floor and 1 inch closer to the top.

I am 6’0” and the back of my head sits very close to the sound bar. Since you are tall, I wonder if you are subconsciously tilting your head forward or shrugging your shoulders, putting sustained pressure on your upper back.

I am 6 foot and well below the roll bar. You can adjust the seat height, mines old school yours is probably electric.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously, I would see a doctor about that.

I am a totally disabled veteran, with two bad shoulders and two back surgeries with lots of titanium (among a plethora of other issues). My shoulders only hurt driving my Jeep when they are killing me BEFORE I get in the Jeep. With cervical spine issues (neck), you can get upper back/shoulder pain from driving any vehicle. Usually, the source is in your neck, with an irritated neck nerve referring pain to your upper back/shoulder - the serratus muscles (posterior superior).

Good luck; I hope you work this out!

cburger71

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon; 2012 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Corvette ZR1

I'm 6'5" and find that my shoulders and upper back ache when driving my JL, but not in my JK. I tend to agree with your observation that due to the seat sitting higher and there being less room overall for the driver, I am likely subconsciously slouching to avoid hitting the sound bar. I've played with the seat, but just can't get to as comfortable driving position as I have in my JK. I'm really hoping someone fabricates seat rails that bring the seat down 1"-2".
Sponsored