Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sport S
Hey Guys,

I've got a 2019 JLU Sport S that's developed a water leak. The Jeep is always parked pointing downhill. I noticed the leak about 6 weeks ago and Made sure the hard top was seated correctly and that the roof drains and cowls were clear. I made an appointment with the dealer service department (umansky jeep in Charlottesville VA) about a month ago and they told me the soonest it could be looked at by their 3rd party leak company was today (December 1st). They just called me and told me they couldn't find any leaks. I told them to try harder.

This comes after a big rainstorm yesterday. I sucked a gallon of water out of the passenger footwell yesterday, so there is obviously a leak.

Anyone have any ideas?

There is no visible water coming down from the roof, so I assume it's coming down the firewall or maybe from the B pillar under the trim.

I am also thinking that the only way they could have failed to find the leak is if it only happens when the jeep is pointed downhill. The only support I have for that idea is that I never find water on the floor after running through the carwash.

@JeepCares
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Sean.Lunch
What is the condition of the door seals? Have you sprayed the vehicle with a hose, at varying locations, in an attempt to reproduce and isolate the cause of the leaking?

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Heimkehr
The door seals seem to be in good shape and look identical on both sides, so I don't think that's the issue. I did spray the vehicle with a hose at one point to make sure the cowl drains were working properly and were draining out just behind the front wheels. They seemed fine. I also read that there were issues with the seam under the left and right cowl trim pieces that could lead to leaks. That doesn't seem to be the case here. When I went out during a rainstorm, I didn't see water leaking in from around the doors. It almost seemed to be coming up from underneath the carpet. Any advice would be appreciated.

perhaps I didn't have the patience required to actually observe the leak (but then neither did the dealership, huh?). I am discouraged that I can only find where it accumulates, not very much real evidence of where it is coming from. The only exception to that is that the carpet coming down from the firewall seems wet, but maybe the carpet material is just wicking water up to there.

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the accumulation after one very rainy day before I got the shop-vac out. I don't understand how they could fail to find any leaks. Pulled about a gallon out of the carpet.

jeep water.jpeg

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Sean,
Give some thought to removing the glove box assembly, and aiming a hose at the cowl along the length (base) of the windshield. I'd want to look for any signs of water traveling behind the dash, down into the passenger footwell. Have you ever lowered your windshield? Was it seated correctly when put back in place? How are the corresponding seals? Just spitballing here. Hope it helps.

Sponsored

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I'd put a small tarp in that area until I located the source of the leak. It would make cleanup a lot easier and save your carpet.

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Heimkehr that sounds like a really good place to start. The dealership said they’re going to work on it more tomorrow and get back to me. If the Jeep ends up coming home without being fixed that’s what I’ll do. It does make sense to me that if the Jeep is parked on a hill much more water would rush forwards off of the roof and would exacerbate a whatever leak is in that area. Thanks so much for your advice. I’ll send an update when I have one.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Damm, good luck...these things do leak sometimes, but that is a lot of water...keep us posted

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would probably be a good idea to pull your carpet out on that side and let it dry before it molds. I wouldn't put it back until I'd fixed the leak either.
I was hoping to be able to avoid that but I think you’re right. I hear it’s really easy in the JL. Maybe a good excuse to upgrade to bedtred once it’s fixed? I do have 4 dogs and 2 toddlers.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Is your door limiter strap folding outwards? If it is, it's creating a gap in the door seal.

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I heard from the dealership this afternoon. Again, they can find no evidence of any leak. They put the rear end on jack stands to simulate the hill and sprayed water down it. I told them they must not be spraying enough or not in the right place. They told me that my warranty wouldn’t cover free labor forever. I told them I just want a dry Jeep. They told me they are drying the carpet now and going to leak test it again tomorrow. They kept saying they just can’t find any water trail where it could be coming from but they did confirm that under the seat was totally dry so it must be coming from the front. I just don’t think they have the patience and wherewithal required to do the job correctly and find the leak. They want me to just keeping bringing the Jeep back until they can find it. But this past time I brought it in the day after a big rainstorm so I don’t see what better opportunity I could give them? Anyone have any advice on getting @JeepCares involved? I’m running out of faith in the dealer quickly.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
So I heard from the dealership this afternoon. Again, they can find no evidence of any leak. They put the rear end on jack stands to simulate the hill and sprayed water down it. I told them they must not be spraying enough or not in the right place. They told me that my warranty wouldn’t cover free labor forever. I told them I just want a dry Jeep. They told me they are drying the carpet now and going to leak test it again tomorrow. They kept saying they just can’t find any water trail where it could be coming from but they did confirm that under the seat was totally dry so it must be coming from the front. I just don’t think they have the patience and wherewithal required to do the job correctly and find the leak. They want me to just keeping bringing the Jeep back until they can find it. But this past time I brought it in the day after a big rainstorm so I don’t see what better opportunity I could give them? Anyone have any advice on getting @JeepCares involved? I’m running out of faith in the dealer quickly.
You guys have the lemon law?

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guys have the lemon law?
Yeah, but I picked the JL up used about a year ago and got a great deal on it. Didn’t leak back then. I’ve never lowered the windshield also. Not sure how or why the leak has developed. I’m alarmed at the dealers apprehension to pull off trim panels.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Yeah, but I picked the JL up used about a year ago and got a great deal on it. Didn’t leak back then. I’ve never lowered the windshield also. Not sure how or why the leak has developed. I’m alarmed at the dealers apprehension to pull off trim panels.
Maybe try another dealer or just keep making appointments. They should kick it up if they cannot fix it.
Sponsored