Sponsored

Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Even the fully manual doors have a harness for that light that no one can see by the arm rest and probably the door switch too.
I would leave it disconnected in that case. But with power windows and mirrors you don't have that option.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I like creature comforts (PW/PL, heated seats/wheel, good stereo) but donā€™t like a lot of driver aids. So I specā€™d my Jeep accordingly.

I do wonder how many people have had to pay to fix broken power windows on a vehicle made in the last, I dunno, 20 years? In more than 20 years of driving and probably a half million miles, often on cars with 100k+ miles, Iā€™ve never had a power window failure. It isnā€™t really a significant problem these days.
So I don't worry about the power stuff added to vehicles. Failures are very rare.

My 1998 Shitbox XJ with 230,000 miles on it and all the power windows work, the rear wiper works, basically everything still works except the rear passenger electric door lock. I think I can take it apart and lube it so that it does work. It sounds like it lockes, but I have to finish pushing the lock over for it to be locked. I have abused this thing and well it just keeps running.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I remember buying my new 98 Sahara. It was fully loaded, AM/FM radio, crank windows , manual door locks, auto, six and dual topsšŸ˜. nobody would ever have dreamed of power windows and locks on a JEEPšŸ˜

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I remember buying my new 98 Sahara. It was fully loaded, AM/FM radio, crank windows , manual door locks, auto, six and dual topsšŸ˜. nobody would ever have dreamed of power windows and locks on a JEEPšŸ˜
The 4 door changed the whole thing. A 2 door tj you could reach both window cranks and door locks with ease from the driver or passenger seat. 4 doors don't have key holes in the back doors. Do you realize how much of a pain it would be just to get in and out of the back seat without power locks? You'd likely never roll down a rear window either. In 98 nobody envisioned factory front and rear lockers or push button sway bar disconnect and yet here we are, with vastly improved jeeps both on and off road right from the factory.

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I like creature comforts (PW/PL, heated seats/wheel, good stereo) but donā€™t like a lot of driver aids. So I specā€™d my Jeep accordingly.

I do wonder how many people have had to pay to fix broken power windows on a vehicle made in the last, I dunno, 20 years? In more than 20 years of driving and probably a half million miles, often on cars with 100k+ miles, Iā€™ve never had a power window failure. It isnā€™t really a significant problem these days.
As a youngin one of my first jobs was working for VWoA during the entire window regulator debacle. Windows were falling into the door panels left and right due to the regulator failing and VW kept delaying doing a recall/campaign on the item. That was....not a fun time for phone calls

I am considering a bare bones Wrangler but its more budget than anything. I have two builds, one a sport that is bare bones and then another is a Sport S with some creature comforts that I would enjoy. When it gets to the time to reach out to dealers I am just going to see the price difference and payments between the two and make a decision. Well, semi-bare bones, I have driven manuals most of my driving life, but I just want an automatic these days unless its a sports car or something.

Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
The 4 door changed the whole thing. A 2 door tj you could reach both window cranks and door locks with ease from the driver or passenger seat. 4 doors don't have key holes in the back doors. Do you realize how much of a pain it would be just to get in and out of the back seat without power locks? You'd likely never roll down a rear window either. In 98 nobody envisioned factory front and rear lockers or push button sway bar disconnect and yet here we are, with vastly improved jeeps both on and off road right from the factory.
Yup, my first car was a base model Geo Prizm with manual everything, and no A/C. Step one to driving in the summer was always key unlock driverā€™s door, roll down window, and then reach through steaming hot car to open all other doors by pulling up on the lock tab things, then walk around the car opening doors and unrolling windows. Yuck.

Now itā€™s remote start to get the A/C running before I even step outside :)

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Iā€™ve had seven Jeeps of my own, plus a JKUR that was my wifeā€™s daily driver (but I built and wheeled). My first new Jeep was a 1977 CJ-7, and I had three other CJs after that, including a CJ-5 I bought used and heavily modified. All the CJs had AC except the CJ-5, and two of the four had hard tops, but there were no other options... and they ran, and ran, and ran.

My experience was similar with both TJs, a four (mistake), and the six I only recently sold. My wifā€™s JKUR was our first loaded Jeep, and it was a complete disaster from the beginning, mostly due to malfunctioning nanny features which could not be defeated. That experience prevented me from buying another wrangler for eight years. but I finally pulled the trigger again when we needed a secure vehicle to flat-tow behind the RV. To please my wife, and against my better judgement, I bought another fully loaded Rubicon.

I hate all the new nanny features. I donā€™t need cameras, beepers, and flat screens to back up. I donā€™t need flashing mirrors to know when I can change lanes, and I definitely donā€™t need ā€œauto-parkā€ to prevent me from backing up with my door cracked. I also hate having an engine compartment that is so packed with plastic and other assorted crap that I canā€™t see the pavement and I need to bloody my hands just to run power to the winch. What I hate most is the uncertainty that comes with having a vehicle thatā€™s so complicated and computer-dependent Iā€™m completely at its mercy if it malfunctions when I need it most. Recent stories from guys who inexplicably lost power, brakes, and steering intensify my fears ā€” because thatā€™s damn dangerous, and no amount of good vehicle care and maintenance significantly reduces my risk. The extreme complexity and computer dependence just enrolls all of us in a miserable lottery: all we can do is hope the next catastrophic failure isn't ours.

Iā€™d wind back the clock to simpler Jeepā€™s in a heartbeat, especially if I could wind back the pricing.... Monroni sticker on my 1977 CJ was under $7,800. I just sold my 2006 TJ for $12,000 ā€” which immediately went into my JL.... and most folks wouldnā€™t even notice the difference that $12,000 made.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Iā€™ve had seven Jeeps of my own, plus a JKUR that was my wifeā€™s daily driver (but I built and wheeled). My first new Jeep was a 1977 CJ-7, and I had three other CJs after that, including a CJ-5 I bought used and heavily modified. All the CJs had AC except the CJ-5, and two of the four had hard tops, but there were no other options... and they ran, and ran, and ran.

My experience was similar with both TJs, a four (mistake), and the six I only recently sold. My wifā€™s JKUR was our first loaded Jeep, and it was a complete disaster from the beginning, mostly due to malfunctioning nanny features which could not be defeated. That experience prevented me from buying another wrangler for eight years. but I finally pulled the trigger again when we needed a secure vehicle to flat-tow behind the RV. To please my wife, and against my better judgement, I bought another fully loaded Rubicon.

I hate all the new nanny features. I donā€™t need cameras, beepers, and flat screens to back up. I donā€™t need flashing mirrors to know when I can change lanes, and I definitely donā€™t need ā€œauto-parkā€ to prevent me from backing up with my door cracked. I also hate having an engine compartment that is so packed with plastic and other assorted crap that I canā€™t see the pavement and I need to bloody my hands just to run power to the winch. What I hate most is the uncertainty that comes with having a vehicle thatā€™s so complicated and computer-dependent Iā€™m completely at its mercy if it malfunctions when I need it most. Recent stories from guys who inexplicably lost power, brakes, and steering intensify my fears ā€” because thatā€™s damn dangerous, and no amount of good vehicle care and maintenance significantly reduces my risk. The extreme complexity and computer dependence just enrolls all of us in a miserable lottery: all we can do is hope the next catastrophic failure isn't ours.

Iā€™d wind back the clock to simpler Jeepā€™s in a heartbeat, especially if I could wind back the pricing.... Monroni sticker on my 1977 CJ was under $7,800. I just sold my 2006 TJ for $12,000 ā€” which immediately went into my JL.... and most folks wouldnā€™t even notice the difference that $12,000 made.
You hit the nail on the head, everything in the "bare bones" modern jeep is still computer/electronics controlled from the engine to the brakes to the steering. Depriving yourself of the added creature comforts like power windows/locks and ac does nothing to increase reliability or durability. May as well get the added comfort because the computer controlled electronics are going to be there regardless.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
and most folks wouldnā€™t even notice the difference that $12,000 made.
In my case the difference was around 26k. The nanny stuff simply became too much for me to stomach and not enough right stuff. At $38g for a near base JLR, for me, here's what's either lacking or unwanted: 1) Back seat optional; $500 price reduction; 2) Choice between half doors with window inserts or full doors and crank windows; $700 price reduction. Power windows/locks/speakers optional; 3) Offer a steel bumper group option featuring a drop down tail gate with rear bumper mounted swing out configurable spare/jack/tool/Jerrycan/water/ice chest carrier (I've got one of these custom home made; essential for camping and multi night outings). 4) Hardtop option for flip up/pneumatic side windows allowing ease of access to cargo area; $200; 5) Center console optional; $200 price reduction; option for center console fridge/freezer. 6) Body mounted side mirrors, no charge; 7) Gauges & tach only, minus $1000; screens optional; 8) high end Blue tooth preamp/amplifier and speakers only with transmitter/accessory holster. No charge; user provides transmitter options (Cell phone; AM/FM radio, music player; CB, etc.) 9) Keyless stuff optional; minus $500. Net price reduction for base package $2900 bringing a base down to $35.1k without hard top, console options or bumper group. Mine would have no charge half doors and soft top, add the bumper group option and perhaps the fridge console still under 40 gs ... just dreaming.

Sponsored

Duluth Diesel

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willyā€™s Sport
My JL is fairly basic. Willyā€™s Sport with manual trans, crank windows, soft top. But when I ordered I added A/C and the towing package (which also got me the bigger alternator and auxiliary switches). Thatā€™s it. Jeeps should be simple IMO. If I want to drive something with all the fancy options, I take my Ram.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Back in the AMC days you could order a CJ without a top or doors. You could get as basic as you wanted.
When I went to buy my 1977 CJ-7 my dad wasnā€™t a fan of AMC. As a WW-2 veteran, he loved Jeeps, and he knew that Ford had also built them during the war, but he was a fan of Willys.

AMC wasnā€˜t known for building high quality vehicles. (It was basically a blending of Hudson and Nash, neither of which were the greatest), but my CJs took a lot of abuse over the years and never once let me down.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
the closest I can describe it is to say .. it's like having unprotected sex but mostly even better than that : )

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
18 JLU Sport and 20 JT Sport. I can roll the windows up and down anytime I want without a key.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
18 JLU Sport and 20 JT Sport. I can roll the windows up and down anytime I want without a key.
Tell us how you roll the back seat windows down? Stretch Armstrong? Gumby? How fun is it trying to unlock the back doors? Inconvenience doesn't equal reliability.
Sponsored