2.0 vs. 3.0 Diesel

Stick with the incoming 2.0 or order the diesel

• Total voters

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I test drove all engines back to back. For me , hands down the diesel. So much more smooth power. My second choice would have been the 2.0 turbo.

One thing not mentioned is the ride difference of the diesel. It seemed to hold the road much better than the other engines. The others still had the side to side jeep wobble. The diesel stays flat.
Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’m going with ordering a diesel! About 7% behind invoice but a $899 doc fee...hopefully the zero % interest will still be available when it’s delivered.
Any suggestions on other performance upgrades while we wait for a tune?
I wouldn't hold my breadth on a tune coming out too soon. It's a new motor and the EPA has crushed a lot of the diesel tuning shops lately. If the engine is popular I'm sure one of the larger more reputable tuning companies will invest time into reverse engineering the controllers for that engine, but it will take time. That engine controller combination is too new.
That being said, the 3.0 diesel show a lot of promise and has tons of torque stock. Not sure it would bother me to wait or if it didn't come out before I sold the jeep.

Kbrownfi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Altitude 3.0 diesel
I put a deposit down on an incoming 21 high altitude with the 2.0L turbo engine. I really wanted the 3.0 diesel but I couldn’t find anywhere in the tri-state area that had one to drive.
Originally the dealer said it was shipping by November 5th and would be here any day. After reading more on orders it sounds that date is when it will go into production and it could be a month + out. (As of yesterday they said they had no idea when it would arrive until it gets there)
Does anyone have experience with this engine? I’m not looking to tow but I’m on my second diesel Rover and loving it. I’m thinking there will shortly be a tune available for this that would bring the hp to about 300.

on pricing here around nyc no dealers seem interested in discounting..the best I was able to do was the 1% back of invoice affiliate pricing that a couple dealerships wouldn’t honor on a high altitude, if I place an order, I’d order from an out of state dealer that’s doing stronger discounts on orders. Any suggestions on a target?

I chose the high altitude because it will mostly be an extra car for my family with light beach driving in the off season and maybe a handful of trail rides. Am I making a mistake not going rubicon?

for the high altitude doing it in white, one touch roof, and cold weather. Will tint the windows, swap antenna with a bullet, and do an led light bar for now. I’m sure once it gets here there will be more mods to come as it’s been an addiction for too long. I don’t even have it and have already been reading engine swaps.

thanks for the input, looking forward to be joining the JL community.
Like some others on here I drove all three engine options. I was not planning to get the diesel until I drove it. Much better on the highway, not all of that down shifting on every little grade. I went with the diesel despite the cost. I love it.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
One thing not mentioned is the ride difference of the diesel. It seemed to hold the road much better than the other engines. The others still had the side to side jeep wobble. The diesel stays flat.
My wife and buddy both had the same impression of the diesel feeling more planted. To me I really noticed the additional heft, but not so much road-stick.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I wouldn't hold my breadth on a tune coming out too soon. It's a new motor and the EPA has crushed a lot of the diesel tuning shops lately. If the engine is popular I'm sure one of the larger more reputable tuning companies will invest time into reverse engineering the controllers for that engine, but it will take time. That engine controller combination is too new.
That being said, the 3.0 diesel show a lot of promise and has tons of torque stock. Not sure it would bother me to wait or if it didn't come out before I sold the jeep.
I have an EcoD in my truck and love it, however when it was time for the Jeep I went with the 2.0. Why? Different use. My truck is used primarily for pulling our camper. I runs long haul and works great, no issues. However,myJeep would be used primarily for short runs, and fooling around on fire service roads. Modern Diesel engines are heavy into emissions equipment. They do not do well on “short run” type operation. My Son recently ordered a new Gladiator and asked, Dad, diesel or gasser? Knowing his driving is primarily start up, three miles to the base and shut down, start up later, three miles to home and shut down. For that type use, a diesel would be a poor choice, as you’d wind up with a lot of regen’s etc. as for a tune, check Green Diesel Engineering. The have solid, reliable EPA tested tunes for the 3.0 in the Ram and GC. If they dont have one yet for the Jeep, I’d bet they soon will. They are the only outfit I’m aware of that has went through the approval process with EPA and got their blessing. The tune provides a bit more power and torque, but the big thing is Greatly improved drivability. I’ve ran one for nearly 60 k miles and wouldn’t want an EcoD without one. Great folks to work with too.

OP
OP

Superl570

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 high altitude diesel, Gallardo SL, Model X performance, Range Rover td6
Order is in with Craig at Koons. 3.0 Diesel high altitude white, one touch roof and cold weather package. After reading a bunch last night I almost switched to the 4xe as my wife is on our 3rd Tesla but decided to go with the diesel.

ddorrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JK
I think Jeep should have offered a 4 cyl diesel instead of the heavy V6 diesel. Better mpg and wider buying audience.

fun2drive

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
GDE has an EPA/ CARB compliant tune for the WK2 3.0 diesel. You have to get the trans tune as well to meet the compliance however. Since we are talking a similar engine and transmission I do expect maybe next fall or sooner they will have a tune for the JL 3.0 diesel.

Sponsored

ggrote1

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD, 2004 LJ
Wife wanted to trade her JK in on a JL as we had repeated problems with the Pentastar heads. I didn't want to spend the money so I told her to wait, they're comming out with a diesel and that may be the way to go. Next day she tells me they already have the diesel out, lets go look. I said, OK, you may not like the noisy engine thinking I still didn't want to spend the money. I went with her and test drove it, big mistake. I'm now the owner of a 2021 Rubicon Diesel. Just love the power it makes and mileage. It also went over 6000 lbs gross vehicle weight so we can write off 100% on taxes this year for the business.

colt45

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
MHO... I have the 2.0t and the 8 speed ZF is what makes it great... When your in low and in first gear it has a load of TQ. Not sure about what trans is with the diesel but from my experience with diesel they do have a ton of low end! I would say just go with what ever you feel more comfortable working on out on the trail if you have issues. 2.0 has the 48v system and I can tell you from experience that if you put it under water its not happy... But im no diesel mechanic either... The 8 speed though will give you any gear ratio you desire out on the trail .

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
I put a deposit down on an incoming 21 high altitude with the 2.0L turbo engine. I really wanted the 3.0 diesel but I couldn’t find anywhere in the tri-state area that had one to drive.
Originally the dealer said it was shipping by November 5th and would be here any day. After reading more on orders it sounds that date is when it will go into production and it could be a month + out. (As of yesterday they said they had no idea when it would arrive until it gets there)
Does anyone have experience with this engine? I’m not looking to tow but I’m on my second diesel Rover and loving it. I’m thinking there will shortly be a tune available for this that would bring the hp to about 300.

on pricing here around nyc no dealers seem interested in discounting..the best I was able to do was the 1% back of invoice affiliate pricing that a couple dealerships wouldn’t honor on a high altitude, if I place an order, I’d order from an out of state dealer that’s doing stronger discounts on orders. Any suggestions on a target?

I chose the high altitude because it will mostly be an extra car for my family with light beach driving in the off season and maybe a handful of trail rides. Am I making a mistake not going rubicon?

for the high altitude doing it in white, one touch roof, and cold weather. Will tint the windows, swap antenna with a bullet, and do an led light bar for now. I’m sure once it gets here there will be more mods to come as it’s been an addiction for too long. I don’t even have it and have already been reading engine swaps.

thanks for the input, looking forward to be joining the JL community.
I had a 19 JL 2.0 and loved it. I traded it on a 2020 Diesel and love it too. Because they will sell, there is no real discounting. I have had a number of diesels over the years and just love something about them, ie. the torque especially, but that 2.0 is really amazing. I feel though that what you can do with the 2.0 is what you can do with the diesel without as much stress and wear and tear on the engine. Also, the beefed trans that comes with the diesel should last through the tough time a little better as well. Lastly, I get 7 mpg more which being in the overly taxed state of Cali, adds up. Like an earlier poster said, be patient.

OP
OP

Superl570

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 high altitude diesel, Gallardo SL, Model X performance, Range Rover td6
Order was submitted on 11/12 and I arrived at the dealer today, will probably have it shipped or possibly drive down in a rental next week to get it. That was quick!

A little sad it’s not the 392. I want to order one but seems my hesitation has me too late to the party. One of the dealers on here in FL that isn’t a sponsor said I could customize one of their allocations - $1600 mopar protection and $900 dealer fee - essentially $2500 over but they are refusing to sell it to my Montana llc or a leasing company that has a dealers license. Any suggestions?

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
Order was submitted on 11/12 and I arrived at the dealer today, will probably have it shipped or possibly drive down in a rental next week to get it. That was quick!

A little sad it’s not the 392. I want to order one but seems my hesitation has me too late to the party. One of the dealers on here in FL that isn’t a sponsor said I could customize one of their allocations - $1600 mopar protection and $900 dealer fee - essentially $2500 over but they are refusing to sell it to my Montana llc or a leasing company that has a dealers license. Any suggestions?
Yes, get the diesel. You won’t be sorry.
Sponsored