OP

JeepXalfa

First Name
Evo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 JL 2dr
Update: just drove for 100 miles highway, 30 miles mountain road at 35 psi. It got better, at least my leg didn't hurt, but still not as good as the 2 door.
Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Are there shipping blocks on the Jeeps for delivery purposes? Any chance they were left in by the dealer? I know it’s happened on other brands.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
What is shipping block?
They put them in the springs to keep from compressIng the suspension to the bottom and causing damage when shipping. Don’t know if they use them on Wranglers.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I have 2 Dr JL Rubicon......it drives and feels like a mini-van.
Its certainly an adventure vehicle.....not a mall crawler.
rides smooth & soft.......bump ?......what bump ?

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepXalfa

First Name
Evo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 JL 2dr
I have 2 Dr JL Rubicon......it drives and feels like a mini-van.
Its certainly an adventure vehicle.....not a mall crawler.
rides smooth & soft.......bump ?......what bump ?
Yes. Indeed the 2dr drives well. I went to the dealer for inspection. They said my 4dr was normal. That being said, my conclusion is that a JLU has worse driving comfort than JL.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Thats very interesting. So its not just OP but several people confirm that JL is softer than JLU. As I understand shocks are the same between them, suspension geometry should be the same. So only the springs are different? Longer wheel base and more weight should make JLU softer not harder riding vehicle.

OP
OP

JeepXalfa

First Name
Evo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 JL 2dr
Thats very interesting. So its not just OP but several people confirm that JL is softer than JLU. As I understand shocks are the same between them, suspension geometry should be the same. So only the springs are different? Longer wheel base and more weight should make JLU softer not harder riding vehicle.
I swaped the JL rim and tires to the JLU directly, so tires were not into the equation. JL was 19 and JLU was 21. Maybe there was a change that I am not aware of.

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Also possible they use even stiffer springs on the JLU because they expect more people (weight) under normal conditions on top of the added vehicle weight. just an idea, my 21 2dr Rubicon rides awesome though.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I think it's all personal preference. We have 2 '18 JLs; mine is a base 2-door Sport that had Bridgestone A/Ts, and my wife's is an Unlimited Sport S with Goodyear A/Ts. Her 4-door most definitely has a better ride quality, stock-for-stock. It soaked up potholes and train crossings much smoother than my 2-door. My kids agreed after riding several hours in the backseat of both LOL.

Over the summer, I swapped 4-door Rubi takeoff springs, shocks, and wheels/tires onto my 2-door. I would say the ride quality is almost equal now to her JLUS.

I think you have to drive a few and see what you like.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
When I swapped to the Rubi suspension it improved all around, sure it's a bit firmer but not enough to detract from the drive. I also kept my caster in the 6 degree range w/ the LCA swap so maybe that's why I didn't notice any significant degradation. And yes, off road a noticeable improvement :)
I did the exact same thing. Great upgrade.
Sponsored