Sponsored

2021 JLU Already Towed to Dealer at 114 miles on the odo. Owned less than 2 hours... WTH

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Whelp, that didn't last long.

Literally bought a brand new 2021 JLU Sport Altitude TODAY and it's already been towed to a CDJ dealer.

Ordered it ~7 weeks ago and finally got to pick it up 3.5 hours from my home.

Had 9 miles on the odometer when I picked it up.

About 2 hours into my drive home, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, the engine started to shake/misfire, the brakes started pulsing and I quickly lost power.

Limped to a side road and shut the Wrangler down. Let it sit for a few minutes, started it again.

Hello violent shaking, misfiring, and blinking dash lights.

114 miles on the odometer and I can't even drive the darn thing to a shop... WTH.

Now, to make things more fun, I was on the backroads of the Blue Ridge mountains. Without cellphone service. Oh, and it was snowing. And 20 degrees out. And 5 PM the day before my son's 4th birthday who I was going to surprise with the Wrangler (he loves Jeeps).

Got lucky (ha) and a passerby was kind enough to drive up the road for me to get service on their phone to call a local tow truck.

Apparently, I'm not even in FCA/Chrysler's system yet as a PAYING customer so I had to pay $200 out of pocket before they'd even send me a wrecker to get to the closest dealer (which is still about 2 hours away from my home).

Long vent aside, that dealer is closed for the day but is expecting the Jeep and will hopefully diagnose in the morning. I'll update tomorrow or the next day with what they say.

Honestly, I'm not sure I want the Jeep if it bit the dust technically on Day Zero (I'm not even an official FCA customer yet, right?!) and just at 114 miles.

What other calamity awaits me over the ensuing miles and years with this specific Jeep? What gremlins does it have already?

I know Lemon Laws give 1 to 3 attempts to manufacturers to fix the issue (and are a PITA to get resolution on), but a friend mentioned there is some 30-day grace period from purchase where it's easier to pursue a replacement or refund.

Have any of you heard of such a 30-Day window?

My Googling only turns up UK Consumer Rights Act of 2015 that has that provision (doesn't apply here or GA, where I bought the Jeep, of course).

Alright, it's late (got up at 5 AM to start the process to get my now non-functioning Jeep) and still working my way home at 10 PM (a family member drove 2 hours to pick me up).

Love any advice anyone can provide here as to what I should do. We own a 2013 JKU Sahara already, so we know Jeeps like to eat money but weren't expecting this today...

Update 12/14/2020 - Here is a happy ending post for you! https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...wned-less-than-2-hours-wth.62139/post-1337559

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Already Towed to Dealer at 114 miles on the odo. Owned less than 2 hours... WTH IMG-0330
Sponsored

Last edited:

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

No advice, but sorry to hear of your troubles. I would be ticked off for sure! What a let down. With all of those problems, I would be concerned about the engine/vehicle long term. Keep track of the days out of service in case you need to use the lemon law.

OP
OP
tankers

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No advice, but sorry to hear of your troubles. I would be ticked off for sure! What a let down. With all of those problems, I would be concerned about the engine/vehicle long term. Keep track of the days out of service in case you need to use the lemon law.
Thanks, man. Yeah, it's hard to get my dander up, but I've not been a happy camper this afternoon/evening. But honestly, I'm mostly disappointed. I've been looking forward to this Jeep for almost 2 months, and I didn't even get to install a phone holder (let alone the other things I let Quadratec talk me into buying in anticipation). Good point about tracking the out of service days. Pretty easy so far...

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Damn! Iā€™m sorry that you beat my record (dead at the dealer at 500 miles due to a faulty bearing in the rear differential). Good news is that problem never resurfaced after it was fixed. That Jeep was bought back for steering, something the ā€˜21s donā€™t have.

I do hope that your dealer can help you and get it sorted out. ^ good advice about keeping track of days in service. You should also keep detailed records of conversations with dealer, etc.

Also, you can reach out to @JeepCares for assistance. They were very helpful for me.

Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
tankers

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn! Iā€™m sorry that you beat my record (dead at the dealer at 500 miles due to a faulty bearing in the rear differential). Good news is that problem never resurfaced after it was fixed. That Jeep was bought back for steering, something the ā€˜21s donā€™t have.

I do hope that your dealer can help you and get it sorted out. ^ good advice about keeping track of days in service. You should also keep detailed records of conversations with dealer, etc.

Also, you can reach out to @JeepCares for assistance. They were very helpful for me.

Good luck!
Haha, would have been happy to let you keep that crown! Won't lie, concerning you still had to have it bought back by FCA! Good to know about JeepCares. Do you just send them a DM?

OP
OP
tankers

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
could be loose fuses. JL's are notorious for having fuses not seated all the way from the factory. Dealers should do this as part of their final inspection.
Interesting. I'll ask the repairing dealer about that tomorrow. Thank you!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Haha, would have been happy to let you keep that crown! Won't lie, concerning you still had to have it bought back by FCA! Good to know about JeepCares. Do you just send them a DM?
The steering was a issue on some ā€˜18ā€“ā€™20s and mine was a hot mess. Your ā€˜21 has a new steel steering gear, so no worries there.

I had to seat my fuses, too.

Yes, send a DM here on the forum. You can also ask to be reimbursed for the towing.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Really sorry to hear about that. Hopefully itā€™s something simple.

What motor does it have?

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Don't know about a 30 day window for replacement but most states allow a 3 day window to back out of a major purchase such as a vehicle

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Whelp, that didn't last long.

Literally bought a brand new 2021 JLU Sport Altitude TODAY and it's already been towed to a CDJ dealer.

Ordered it ~7 weeks ago and finally got to pick it up 3.5 hours from my home.

Had 9 miles on the odometer when I picked it up.

About 2 hours into my drive home, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, the engine started to shake/misfire, the brakes started pulsing and I quickly lost power.

Limped to a side road and shut the Wrangler down. Let it sit for a few minutes, started it again.

Hello violent shaking, misfiring, and blinking dash lights.

114 miles on the odometer and I can't even drive the darn thing to a shop... WTH.

Now, to make things more fun, I was on the backroads of the Blue Ridge mountains. Without cellphone service. Oh, and it was snowing. And 20 degrees out. And 5 PM the day before my son's 4th birthday who I was going to surprise with the Wrangler (he loves Jeeps).

Got lucky (ha) and a passerby was kind enough to drive up the road for me to get service on their phone to call a local tow truck.

Apparently, I'm not even in FCA/Chrysler's system yet as a PAYING customer so I had to pay $200 out of pocket before they'd even send me a wrecker to get to the closest dealer (which is still about 2 hours away from my home).

Long vent aside, that dealer is closed for the day but is expecting the Jeep and will hopefully diagnose in the morning. I'll update tomorrow or the next day with what they say.

Honestly, I'm not sure I want the Jeep if it bit the dust technically on Day Zero (I'm not even an official FCA customer yet, right?!) and just at 114 miles.

What other calamity awaits me over the ensuing miles and years with this specific Jeep? What gremlins does it have already?

I know Lemon Laws give 1 to 3 attempts to manufacturers to fix the issue (and are a PITA to get resolution on), but a friend mentioned there is some 30-day grace period from purchase where it's easier to pursue a replacement or refund.

Have any of you heard of such a 30-Day window?

My Googling only turns up UK Consumer Rights Act of 2015 that has that provision (doesn't apply here or GA, where I bought the Jeep, of course).

Alright, it's late (got up at 5 AM to start the process to get my now non-functioning Jeep) and still working my way home at 10 PM (a family member drove 2 hours to pick me up).

Love any advice anyone can provide here as to what I should do. We own a 2013 JKU Sahara already, so we know Jeeps like to eat money but weren't expecting this today...

IMG-0330.jpeg
Welcome to the club! Mine has been in the shop for almost a month with similar issues.

Check out my thread: ā€œMY 2020 Jeep Rubicon ā€œJLURā€ could have killed me and my family this weekendā€. Or PM me we can compare notes.

I do have a question. What ā€œradio/infotainmentā€ system do you have?

I filmed the last incident and posted a short video of it on my Instagram @ fsttanks

Last edited:

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
My low mileage & pampered 2018 Sahara spent 11 straight, continuous, weeks at the dealer after the 8 spd auto trans ate itself, and the ESS system died (while at the dealer). The dealer was good to me with a loaner, didnā€™t charge me a dime and fought with FCA for a new replacement trans, not a rebuild. However, the new trans is kind of jerky and the shifting points are better suited for a mini-van. Also, eleven weeks is too much, and I donā€™t trust the Jeep anymore, so I hired a lemon law attorney. In Washington State your vehicle has to go in for three repairs of the same problem, a serious safety hazard, or spend more than 30 days in the shop to qualify. IIRC.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Sorry to hear this. I would be furious as well. I do not think we have the 30 day agreement you speak of but definitely the lemon law. I also know the lemon law can be very different by state so may be worth while researching that just so you know the details and donā€™t let some dealer try to tell you what it takes.
I hope it is small and you are on the road soon with a worry free ownership.
Sponsored