Sponsored

Do you use auto or manual climate controls?

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just took delivery of my 2021 JLUR last week....loving it!

One thing I'm not loving though is the auto temperature controls. It just doesn't seem to work very well. I mean, it's 30 degrees out and I barely feel any heat at all coming out of the vents on a 30 minute drive. I have the temp set to 74 and know it has to be about 50 degrees in the Jeep when I fire it up so it should be running.

I notice when I switch to manual controls, heat immediately starts pouring out like I'd expect though.

Maybe the auto controls will work better in the summer with A/C and cooling down the cabin than it does with heating the cabin. I just feel like auto controls should be warming the cabin up to the desired temperature fairly quickly as that's the way it's worked in other cars I've owned. Doesn't seem like it wants to do much in the Jeep though. Maybe I need to try setting the auto temp higher or something.

Just wondering what most are doing and if you just use the manual heating controls like old school or if you use the auto controls?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You’re not wrong. The auto climate control leaves a lot to be desired compared to every other one I’ve used. The concept of “warm” air missed the designers. I get hot or cold, not much in between.

I typically use manual controls.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I use the auto all the time. Works for me like it should. It just does things gradually not trying to change the temp significantly one way or the other.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I use the auto controls, but notice I have to set the temp higher than in other cars I've driven to get warm and colder to get cool.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
You’re not wrong. The auto climate control leaves a lot to be desired compared to every other one I’ve used. The concept of “warm” air missed the designers. I get hot or cold, not much in between.

I typically use manual controls.
Exactly—100% agree. Drove a 2012 F-150 FX4 until 2018 and the climate control in that truck was top notch, if it was hot it cooled fast and leveled off to the preset temp. If it was cold, it heated fast as soon as the engine was warm enough (about a mile) and then it would level off and maintain the set temp. The JL doesn’t know how to do any of that.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I use auto, but miss old fashioned slider controls. They just worked better, and I could adjust without taking my eyes off the road. (Not just in the Jeep, but in all vehicles.)

And, no, I’m not interested in voice commands.

OP
OP
tts42572

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
That's what I was thinking of trying next. What do you set to in the winter & summer generally?

I always just mostly left my previous car at around 70-72 year around. But I don't think that's going to cut it here.

I use the auto controls, but notice I have to set the temp higher than in other cars I've driven to get warm and colder to get cool.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I find the auto controls work well in the summer for cooling, but it sucks in the winter for heat. Similar to the JK, it defaults to the floor vents for heating when in the auto position.

I find it just doesn't warm up the cabin well enough using only the floor vents, or maybe its because the heat isn't coming from in front of me so I don't feel the warmth as much.

So, I use auto in the summer and resort to manual for much of the winter.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
That's what I was thinking of trying next. What do you set to in the winter & summer generally?

I always just mostly left my previous car at around 70-72 year around. But I don't think that's going to cut it here.
In my prior car I left it at 68, in the Jeep around 73 (when it's cold out)

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I've been using the auto climate control for 2 1/2 years and I think it's great. I keep it at 70 to72 year round and it's performed very well.

Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Whew. I thought it was just me! Took a drive to Las Vegas from L.A. and was disappointed in the function of the auto climate the whole way to and from. My 13 year old Duramax works way better as does my 11 year old Subaru. Won't even come close to my new Volvo though.

Nc138

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2021
Seeing cold weather in NY, found the auto climate controls for heat to not work well. Temp is set to 74. Air is blowing only slightly from the center front windshield vent and from the floor vents. Even after 10 minutes cabin is cold. Had to set to manual. Hopefully a fix will come for this.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I prefer auto in the winter. In Las Vegas summer with 110℉ stretching for days, A/C was using too much battery leading to ESS frequently inactive because of "battery charging" reason. Once I disabled auto and set temperature to 75℉, ESS started to work normally.
Sponsored