hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
When was the Rev B issued? I took the original TSB issued in August 10 to them and did not say anything about EcoDiesel, you are right they followed the TSB and installed the gas version.
Rev B - Sept 26th. There is a Rev C out now and it references the part number for the EcoDiesel. Someone posted it on the TSB thread but can’t remember when.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Is this an easy job for average Joe?
Yes, and no. From a process standpoint the job is extremely straightforward. But...it all depends on whether you can: 1) break loose the four bolts, and 2) retorque them to 190lbft. It doesn't sound easy, and it's even harder than it sounds.

The four biggest helpers are: An (optional) impact wrench; one of the extra torquey ones. A breaker bar - at least 24". A floor jack. And, most important, a way to raise your Jeep. Ramps, jack stands, or ideally, a lift.

The ability to get under the Jeep is the best enabler to getting leverage on those nuts.

I used the floor jack to get more power on my breaker bar by putting the bar on the bolt and then "jacking up" the handle of the breaker bar. That combo turns you into the Incredible Hulk.

soringorgan

First Name
Sorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Rev B - Sept 26th. There is a Rev C out now and it references the part number for the EcoDiesel. Someone posted it on the TSB thread but can’t remember when.
Man, this is awsome, I need to find that TSB and get back to the dealer, I assume this is why the steering is still loose and I don't see any difference. If you came across that TSB please quote me.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Ok, but since my JLUS doesn't seem to return to center between 11 and 1 on the left and right ,wouldn't the extra caster help with that?If i am on the highway ,nudging left to 11 stays that way, nudgine right to 1 it returns slightly but never back to 12....so thats why i thought casters might help
Increasing caster should help returning to center. It also helps with maintaining straight line tracking, increases the amount of force needed to turn the steering wheel and can increase the turning radius. There's not much lost if you try it and you don't like it.

Later,
Johnny

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well after waiting 2 years for jeep to find a fix I had the gear box replaced. It’s a
Litttle better, maybe, but still wanders and have a dead spot. My daughter just started driving and can’t drive it. She literally can’t keep it straight. I unfortunately have learned to drive it.

3 steering stabilizer
2 track bars
I gear box
Over 4 weeks in the shop
Being told it’s fine and drives like a jeep 100 times and what do I have a $50k jeep that drives like a piece of shit.

Oh add in the other problems with driver/passenger seat tracks, rattle in the B column, broken drivers side door handle and the mysterious noise I hear in the front end that the dealer says “is operating normally”.
I was patient hoping jeep would fix the problem but I am at my wits end. Never had such a love hate relationship with a vehicle before.

Sponsored

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Well after waiting 2 years for jeep to find a fix I had the gear box replaced. It’s a
Litttle better, maybe, but still wanders and have a dead spot. My daughter just started driving and can’t drive it. She literally can’t keep it straight. I unfortunately have learned to drive it.

3 steering stabilizer
2 track bars
I gear box
Over 4 weeks in the shop
Being told it’s fine and drives like a jeep 100 times and what do I have a $50k jeep that drives like a piece of shit.

Oh add in the other problems with driver/passenger seat tracks, rattle in the B column, broken drivers side door handle and the mysterious noise I hear in the front end that the dealer says “is operating normally”.
I was patient hoping jeep would fix the problem but I am at my wits end. Never had such a love hate relationship with a vehicle before.
What is your caster set at. Get a professional alignment done if needed.

My 2018 JLU Rubicon drove like garbage on the freeway off the lot stock. Multiple visits to two different dealerships with no assist or results. I had to take matters into my own hands. Now it drives on the freeway( and off the freeway) really sweeeeeeeet after the below additions/adjustments. Adjusting caster was the game changer.

I also now have 37” Mud Terrains/ 2 inch lift and do not wander at all. 80mph one hand on the wheel. The fix for me was:

-RC front lower adjustable control arms to increase caster( between 6-7 degrees).. was 4.2 degrees off the lot.
-Yeti front adjustable track bar.
- Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer.
- Tire pressure at 36 psi.
- check/torqued all front end bolt/nuts. Some where a bit loose.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I took my 2020 JLUR in back in September and the new steering box was placed on order. I still have not received the box. Called the dealer again today and was told that all deliveries have been placed on hold because the new boxes are having problems and FCA is now doing an engineering investigation on them which I am being told will take until December 20th to complete.

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I took my 2020 JLUR in back in September and the new steering box was placed on order. I still have not received the box. Called the dealer again today and was told that all deliveries have been placed on hold because the new boxes are having problems and FCA is now doing an engineering investigation on them which I am being told will take until December 20th to complete.
WOW! Good info...I wonder if the jeepCares people can enlighten us on this!

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Wait...so even the new Black Steel Steering Boxes are having issues? even the ones that came with the 2021 models the same ones???? That would be something!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Maybe the cast iron ones are bad, but that would be surprising after going to all of the trouble of replacing aluminum ones. Or...the dealer could be tossing a red herring out there to explain why they haven't gotten your replacement box.

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Well isn’t that lovely for all of us who have already had it replaced.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Well isn’t that lovely for all of us who have already had it replaced.
Wouldn’t surprise me at this point... I wonder if it has anything to do with the little bit of looseness/shimmy I have when turning left. Almost feels like the power steering assists/doesn’t/assists/doesn’t/etc. Very faintly though. I thought it may have been bubbles in the power steering fluid but I have cycled the steering many times since the replacement.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the new box?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
About 2k miles on the new box and my impression: it drives great. I've driven the freeway in fierce windstorms that would have been a nightmare with the old steering but no trouble at all - beyond the expected trouble of driving a square box down the road at 75mph. This has been THE fix.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
About 2k miles on the new box and my impression: it drives great. I've driven the freeway in fierce windstorms that would have been a nightmare with the old steering but no trouble at all - beyond the expected trouble of driving a square box down the road at 75mph. This has been THE fix.
Agree. Same results here. I will not be changing again unless they prove something drastically wrong with new gear.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wouldn’t surprise me at this point... I wonder if it has anything to do with the little bit of looseness/shimmy I have when turning left. Almost feels like the power steering assists/doesn’t/assists/doesn’t/etc. Very faintly though. I thought it may have been bubbles in the power steering fluid but I have cycled the steering many times since the replacement.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the new box?
I was thinking the same thing. Air, or fluid is low. Have you checked the level of the power steering fluid?
Sponsored