Sponsored

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I would recommend not getting your steering box replaced if it is functioning well for two reasons, 1. you don't want the dealer messing something up (if it isn't broken....) and 2. people who have actual steering issues (which can be very scary at times) are having to wait because people with non-issue steering boxes are requesting new ones (not every JL has this steering issue, which has been documented in many threads). Dealers can only order one steering box every 14 days. My steering box is coming in on Monday after waiting since September 9th. The dealer told me there are 12 more people scheduled after me. 12 people x 14 days = 24 weeks. That last person will not get their new steering box until April 2021. If I was told that I would have to wait until next year, I would be trading the JL in for something outside of the FCA family. My Jeep has already wondered off the road several times since I purchased it a few months ago.
Sorry you're having the problem. I'll take your advice. Although I didn't know about the backlog, I did feel the same way about not fixing what's not broken.
Sponsored

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I’m having some unique issues with my new box. Dealer ordered a replacement so let’s see.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Positive news on mine...I was able to further tighten the intermediate shaft 13mm pinch bolt that connects the steering shaft to the new steering box. It's awkward to access with my trans skid near it and I cant get a torque wrench on it. I wrestled with it and prob got about 40lbs on it with my 10" ratchet wrench with deep socket and it tightened about 3/4 of a turn.(torque spec is 54lbs) It took the play/notchy feeling & sound out of the steering at steering center.

I also took it to get aligned and total toe was at .03 degrees and caster at 6.7 on both sides.(has a 2.5" lift + 37s) I got them to toe it in further to .20 degrees. That surprisingly helped significantly with the shimmy over bumps. Felt much more solid. :party: :jk:
Glad to hear better. I actually could get to IShaft bolt from the top with a long extension. Mine was maybe 20lbs. I believe you are at spec on torque value now at 40ft lbs. here is pic where I accessed from top for anyone else trying to tighten.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering worse after TSB fix. EDDFE904-669D-4C09-9ABC-B4FE50C4EEA6
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering worse after TSB fix. 19E24A5E-DFA3-4E35-B9CD-0E2188D9F5FE

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
:beer: Top acess looks way easier. I dont have a long enough extension and am trying to avoid buying one. I'm referring to ft lbs when torquing... It's prob still under 54 ft lbs. I may end up buying an extension. How long is yours?
well... I cheated a little and connected my 10"and 6" extentions together :like: . Prob need about 14"s total to make it work. I was referencing ft lbs also.

Part Name | Nm | Ft. lbs. | In. lbs. |
I-shaft coupler pinch bolts | 54 | 40 | - |
Do NOT reuse these fasteners. If removed, a NEW fastener MUST be installed and tightened to specifications.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
What does "Nm" stand for? What does the 54 represent?
Euro - Newton metres (Nm). I had same question when looking up torque specs. I looked up previously and believe there is a conversion if needed of Nm equal to approx 0.738 ft lbs. so 54 Nm comes out to 40ft lbs. I wish the torques spec sheets would be simpler to read. They also add a third column for inch lbs that also makes it confusing to me :)

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
What does "Nm" stand for? What does the 54 represent?
NM is newton meters. It's just another way of measuring torque. Sorta like Metric and Inch. Torque wrenches typically have setting for both on them. Just use ft lbs.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Euro - Newton metres (Nm). I had same question when looking up torque specs. I looked up previously and believe there is a conversion if needed of Nm equal to approx 0.738 ft lbs. so 54 Nm comes out to 40ft lbs. I wish the torques spec sheets would be simpler to read. They also add a third column for inch lbs that also makes it confusing to me :)
Beat me to it.

I just got mine back yesterday with the new box and my steering is exceptionally tight now. I never had a huge dead spot it just always felt a bit loose. No dead spot on the new box. Unfortunately my right pull is still there but we'll see if my new tie rods/drag link help that.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Basically, after doing some more research it seems like the problem is way more invovled than just the steering box.
Imagine that!

Mine goes in at the end of the month. Now I’m not sure I want it done. Rather live with shit steering vice shittier steering haha

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Got mine done recently and I have a bigger dead spot. :( Everyone says the steering feels stiffer but I don’t think mine does. Maybe a tad, not sure.

Sponsored

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Got mine done recently and I have a bigger dead spot. :( Everyone says the steering feels stiffer but I don’t think mine does. Maybe a tad, not sure.
You’re not alone. I was sure the TSB would fix mine. It didn’t. It shouldn’t drive like a Fiat, but it does. I have a smaller dead spot, but not by much. It is still unnerving to drive. I returned it to the dealer to ‘fix the fix’ and they proudly pronounced it complete. It was no different. Most folks are happy. I’m not.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I took my 2020 JLUR in back in September and the new steering box was placed on order. I still have not received the box. Called the dealer again today and was told that all deliveries have been placed on hold because the new boxes are having problems and FCA is now doing an engineering investigation on them which I am being told will take until December 20th to complete.

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I took my 2020 JLUR in back in September and the new steering box was placed on order. I still have not received the box. Called the dealer again today and was told that all deliveries have been placed on hold because the new boxes are having problems and FCA is now doing an engineering investigation on them which I am being told will take until December 20th to complete.
Good to know, I was planning on calling my dealer soon to get an appointment. Guess I'll wait a couple more months to see if they make more changes.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Took mine in for an oill change and tire rotation. Service advisor told me that there will be a new or better box released during Christmas week. He said to call first or second week of January to get it fixed. Supposedly I am on the list for the new one.

Swadehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Hard Rock, 2019 Rubicon, 2023 392
I called up my dealer on Monday to inquire about this and was told a similar story about parts being delayed and that they could not place the order until December 21st - although, the parts manager I spoke with did not mention anything about engineering issues, he attributed it to parts shortages. Then, I received a call today (2 days later) and he stated that he was ale to get the parts ordered and that they will be here in a couple days.

@JeepCares Is there any truth to this that there are engineering issues with the part? I have an appointment for December 8th to have the TSB taken care of. Should I be holding off or should I proceed as planned?

Thanks.
Sponsored