Sponsored

Jeep newbie, wondering Rubi vs HA

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
If money isn't an issue, just get the Rubicon.

But if money is even a little bit of an issue, then you need to be real with yourself and figure out what you want from this vehicle.

You said you're 99% gonna be pavement; to me, that means the Rubi would have to be within a pretty close money range of the HA for me to go with it. If the Rubi is a few thousand more for options that I will use maybe once or never, it's a no from me.

Plus the hood is ugly.
Sponsored

RubyRecon

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
If you want the nicer dash in the High Altitude and the heavier drive train of the Rubicon, take a look at a 2020 Recon. There are still some out there. You can get up to $7000 off and 0%. I believe Just Jeeps still has a few.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
When you are in very wet/slick situations where 2 wheel 4Hi or 4Lo gives up the ghost - you will really appreciate going to your toolbox and switching the Locked Rear and Locked FR buttons - even sway disco. If your JL still fails - then it is what it is.

Fully locked has got us out of stuck situations - but even then sometimes 4 wheel traction is simply not enough. When that occurs we use chains or ramps, dig out, get a tug or winch out. Standard issue.

If you never will come close to maxing out the capabilities of a 2 wheel 4x4 JL - and do not care for the look and style of the Rubi - then by all means save some cash and get that model. It would be a complete waste for you otherwise.

From the looks of it the 4xe Rubi should be a decent option. With the V6 - 4T - BSG - 3.0TD - 4xe - and 392 - FCA pretty much has most all bases covered except full electric.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Don't go to work with a hammer when you know you need a jack hammer.

Nevada or Utah will offer many great off road opportunities and once you have turned off the hard you will want to keep going further into the wilderness. The Rubi will get you out there and bring you back. The HA is a good and capable vehicle but it is the hammer.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I'd go with the Rubicon because i find the HA to be really ugly. 20in wheels on a Wrangler? Oh no you di'n't! MSRP $7K higher than a Rubicon? GTFO

Puff, puff, PASS

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
A High Altitude comes with all of the same mechanicals as a Sahara or Sport, plus 3.73 axles. The real question is: Would you want to wheel a High Altitude with those shiny 20" Wheels, and painted bumpers? I certainly think those would get all scratched up pretty quickly. Between the two, I would say the Rubicon would be the better choice if you think you're going to go off road.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
A High Altitude comes with all of the same mechanicals as a Sahara or Sport, plus 3.73 axles. The real question is: Would you want to wheel a High Altitude with those shiny 20" Wheels, and painted bumpers? I certainly think those would get all scratched up pretty quickly. Between the two, I would say the Rubicon would be the better choice if you think you're going to go off road.
Those wheels don't just scream "hey i'm a mall crawler" but that you're PROUD of it and want everyone to know you are.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Those wheels don't just scream "hey i'm a mall crawler" but that you're PROUD of it and want everyone to know you are.
More or less. I really can't see anyone taking them off road.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
If you want the nicer dash in the High Altitude and the heavier drive train of the Rubicon, take a look at a 2020 Recon. There are still some out there. You can get up to $7000 off and 0%. I believe Just Jeeps still has a few.
@Sreilly2 - Not sure what dash comes with the HA vs. the Rubi but you can always buy OEM Mopar dashes for a few hundred bucks too. Just another thought. Good luck with your decision.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Tossing my vote for the Rubicon.

I also just got this as my first Jeep a couple weeks ago. I'm not an off-roader...or at least I haven't been. But I will say since getting this I saw a tractor trail leading into the woods not far from my house and took a drive down it! It was nothing special but it was a nice little drive! Really though, mine is mostly just a daily driver and I'm loving it!

I was mostly between a Rubicon and a Willy's. I found though that after upgrading the Willy's with everything I wanted, I wasn't all that far away from a similarly equipped Rubicon. But I was still missing some stuff I really liked about the Rubicon.

The main reason I got it though was that I just liked it. Like you mentioned, it just has a little extra cool factor off the lot. I loved the red accents, bigger tires, lifted look and just sportier vibe of it. I know you can get those same things with other trims with a little effort but I figured I'd just go with what spoke to me most and not have regrets later.

I'd say if you're comfortable with your budget, just get the Rubicon as I doubt you'll have any regrets.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Most will tell you the HA will fit your needs and the Rubicon is overkill.....and I agree with them. Here's my reasoning for suggesting the Rubicon for you:

Your profile says you live in Nevada. If that's true, then you know the vast majority of Nevada is public land with thousands of miles of trails. Those trails vary in difficulty from easy to pretty hard core. One of the best reasons for living in Nevada is the freedom to go hit a trail whenever we want. Having a Rubicon will give you a platform to grow with, as it already has lockers, better gearing, etc. etc.

Quite a few new Jeep owners say they won't go off road much, but once they do and realize how much fun and adventure it is, they want to go more and to harder trails. Then they realize they are going to have to spend more money to have lockers, new gears, etc. installed. I say buy the Rubicon and get those parts from the factory and those parts are covered with a factory warranty.
As your skills and experience increase, you'll have a Jeep which allows you to experience more of the outdoors. Instead of paying for parts which are included on the Rubicon, you can then buy a winch, lift, bigger tires, etc. to match your growing passion for off-roading.

But if you really believe you're not going off pavement very much, then the HA would be better suited for you.
^THIS

My famous last words... "Why the heck would be ever disconnect a sway bar, what the heck would we need lockers for?"

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
^THIS

My famous last words... "Why the heck would be ever disconnect a sway bar, what the heck would we need lockers for?"
The main reason why I plan on going Rubi for the next jeep... pushbutton disconnect...

Plus the other goodies like 4.10s and the lower range transfer case...
Sponsored